Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Empire Warrior Priests have a prayer which makes them Unbreakable. Being Unbreakable allows them to join a unit of Flagellants. If the prayer is later dispelled, what happens?
Also, the rules state that you only get one opportunity to dispel a spell. Does this mean once, period, or can we try to dispel a 'remains in play' spell once each turn?
There is no suggestion for keeping track of spells that have had dispel attempts made against them, but if you can keep trying to dispel 'remains in play' spells, then bound spells and prayers are actually pretty weak.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You are aloud to try and dispell a remains in play spell once per casting players turn in the magic phase. The attempts after the first are against the minimum casting value for the spell.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I realize it says on page 110 that, "After a player has finished casting his spells, he is allowed to dispel any spells that remain in play (unless they were cast in that magic phase)". This makes the rule on page 108, "If a spell is cast, the opposing player can make one attempt to dispel it" ambiguous though.
Yes, I realize I am picking nits.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I realize it says on page 110 that, "After a player has finished casting his spells, he is allowed to dispel any spells that remain in play (unless they were cast in that magic phase)". This makes the rule on page 108, "If a spell is cast, the opposing player can make one attempt to dispel it" ambiguous though.
Yes, I realize I am picking nits.
The rule on page 108 refers to spells being cast in your opps turn, the rule on 110 is for remains in play which would be part of your magic phase

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I understand both points of view. That is the way we have been playing it. It also seems to say you can attempt to dispel the remains in play spell as many times as you want as long as you have the dice to keep trying - again, this is in opposition to the 'only dispel once if a spell is cast' rule. I wish they would specify these as separate things. It just leaves enough wiggle room for those rules lawyers.

Does anyone have a rule for what happens to a character in an Unbreakable unit if the character loses the ability? It makes sense that he would have to move out of the unit, but, again, it is not stated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, I understand both points of view. That is the way we have been playing it. It also seems to say you can attempt to dispel the remains in play spell as many times as you want as long as you have the dice to keep trying - again, this is in opposition to the 'only dispel once if a spell is cast' rule. I wish they would specify these as separate things. It just leaves enough wiggle room for those rules lawyers.

Does anyone have a rule for what happens to a character in an Unbreakable unit if the character loses the ability? It makes sense that he would have to move out of the unit, but, again, it is not stated.
I believe that there is an exception somewhere in the Empire army book that allows them to join flagellants. I'll check this up somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Really? I was under the impression that the unit rules for Flagellants were what prevented indy characters of any type/persuasion from joining. Meh, it's been awhile since I owned that book.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That was in the last edition. In the new edition it isn't stated anywhere.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Really? I was under the impression that the unit rules for Flagellants were what prevented indy characters of any type/persuasion from joining. Meh, it's been awhile since I owned that book.
I'll check this today when I go home. Sorry for the delay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts