Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a more offensive Empire army, would it be better to have 20 halberdiers with 10 man swordsman detatchments, 20 swordsmen with halberdier attatchments or pure swordsmen or halberdiers?

obviously i would have other missile troops, cavalry and artillery supporting them.

what are peoples opinion on this?

·
Registered
240 Posts
20 swordsmen units with 10 halbediers detachments. Almost always flank charge with halberds is nice:mrgreen:

·
Registered
84 Posts
20 swordsmen units with 10 halbediers detachments. Almost always flank charge with halberds is nice:mrgreen:
This is also the way I would go, this way your main unit get the extra save for HW + shield making them more durable and the more vunerable unit goes in the side to minimise damage.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Right. Let's look at what they're going to be used for here:

They will be get charged. With M4, you are very average and will rarely charge your enemy. As a result, a swordsmen block would be ideal due to their higher WS for the same cost as other state troop variants.

Now the detachments:

How many wounds are you going to cause with 5 (at best) S4 attacks largely hitting on 4s? In return you can expect some extra attacks back from your enemy and with a limited toughness and armour save, you might end up losing combat resolution.

It is for the above reason that I would always go with swordsmen since they are more survivable. The detachment is there jst to provide the +1 CR for flanking and removing ranks.

(I have to say that this idea is not my own and was given to me by an experience player.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
i think we all agree on the swordsmen holding while the halberds flank so go do it

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I've always been a fan of the block of 25 Swordsmen with a Hero level character and a supporting unit (or two) of 9 Free Company Militia in a 3x3 formation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts