Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so im having my first empire game soon i have a few models and can easily buy a few more i just dont really know how i should run my list so all help is appreciated cheers :)

so yea i currently own:

16 handgunners

20 swordsman (including full command)

14 halbediers

14 spearman

great cannon

hellblaster volley gun

engineer w/ hochland long rifle

warrior priest with 2 hammers

2 wizards on foot 1 mounted

i aso have enough bits on sprues to make

cannon/mortar

5 knights

5 pistoliers/outriders

18 more state troops

so im thinking of getting another warrior priest perhaps some flagallants anything else i should get and what should i do with what i have to make a good begginers 2,000 point list :) all c&c welcome :)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Well I would suggest putting together the other artillery as a mortar for the template effect. Don't worry too much about the knights at this time considering just five of them isn't too useful. But just five pistoliers can be extremely useful in blocking your enemies marching.

I would suggest filling up your spearmen up to 20 with a command if possible then throw the rest of your state troops as halbediers for detachments for the swordsmen and spearmen.

As for a list I will work up one for you and post it once I get it done.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks thats aload of help erm im assuming no shields on the spearman ? and should i split the handgunners into two detatchments and just keep a static line? for my first couple of games?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
thanks thats aload of help erm im assuming no shields on the spearman ? and should i split the handgunners into two detatchments and just keep a static line? for my first couple of games?
Well here is the list that I suggest, but it does require a few things, such as 8 more knights and 4 more handgunners than what you currently have.

Lord:
Arch Lector of Sigmar (220 points)
+1 hammer
Armour of Meteoric Iron
Aldred's Casket of Sorcery
The white Cloack

Throw him in with whichever block unit doesn't have the wizard, but try to keep him near the center of your army. And if an enemy wizard starts getting annoying send this guy and his unit after it so that his casket can steal some spells.

Heroes:
Master Engineer (137 points)
Hochland Long Rifle
Light armour
Shroud of Magnus

Put him in with one of the artillery pieces. Preferably in with the majority of them so that he can aid whichever one is left alive the longest. And with his magic resistance it will make whichever artillery piece he is with more resistant to enemy magical attacks.

Battel Wizard (155 points)
Level 2
Warhorse
Doomfire Wing
Sigil of Sigmar

Put this guy in with the pistoliers and get him into a position to blast away with his doomfire ring.

Battel Wizard (150 points)
Level 2
Crystal Ball
Armour of tarnus

Use him in either the spearmen or the swordsmen to know what is coming at you and to give a bit of a defensive edge to the unit.

Core:

13 Knights (364 points)
Command
War Banner

As I said this unit requires you to get 8 more knights, but all empire armies should have knights to have a good heavy hitting attack unit.

20 Swordsmen (243 points)
Full Command

Detachments
6 Handgunners
10 Halbediers

Use these guys to defend your own zone. Make sure to present the swordsmen as the only viable charge target to get a stand and shoot with the handgunners and a supporting charge with the halbediers.

20 Spearmen (220 points)
Shields
Full Command

Detachments
8 Halbediers
8 Halbediers

I say give the the shields for better survivability. and again promote them as the primary charge target to get a supporting charge on each flank. DO NOT charge with these guys since they will then lose their bonus from using spears.

14 Handgunners (112 points)

As said before you need another 4 handgunners for this list as well. But try to get these guys deployed on a hill directly behind your spearmen or swordsmen so that your enemy has to charge the full block unit before he can get to these guys.

Special:
Great Cannon (100 points)

get these two pieces of artillery on a hill preferably away from the handgunners so that your enemy has to attack two different hills. Put the core unit that is not in front of the handgunners over here to again force a charge on your block units before the enemy can attack your artillery.

Mortar (75 points)

5 pistoliers (114 points)
Outrider w/ repeater pistol
Musician

Have these guys with the battle wizard cause havoc behind the enemy lines. remember fast cavalry can march and still shoot, so use that to your advantage. Also remember that the doomring is in a straight 18" line so try to line up as many enemy units as possible in that range when you move these guys.

Rare:
Hellblaster (110 points)

Put this on a hill with either the other artillery or with the handgunners. If with the other artillery the hill may become too big of a target for the enemy to care about the handgunners so use your judgment.

Besides that as said I suggest getting a box of knights, a detachment box for the handgunners, and if possible I would suggest getting a mounted battle standard bearer and either replace your foot wizard or engineer with him to give your knights that slightly better chance of slaughtering the enemy.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats amazing thank you so much! and shall do will be heading to games workshop store tuesday to get some bits need some movement trays aswell erm as for the wizards shall i give them lores as nescessary? also im looking very forward to running this list and seems a well point for learning to play again thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have recently been playing with my empire army again and my advice would be fill out the rare slots with hellblasters and specials with cannon and greatswords.

Although the hellblasters are theoretically unreliable they have been utterly decimating my friends chaos forces recently, whether they are targeting a hero/lord(that no one else in the empire army can go head to head with). I have been getting lucky with a lack of misfires recently but two hellblasters can hold a flank entirely on their own.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
As for the mounted wizard I suggest the lore of fire so that you might be able to use the flaming head twice per magic phase, which would make the movement quite important for that unit.

For the foot wizard I would suggest either the lore of beasts, heavens or light. But overall any lore will work as long as it doesn't rely on being within a certain range to the enemy since he should only be attacked by the enemy and that is not a guarantee.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do like the idea of the hellblaster im hoping ill be lucky lol and as for the bsb im not overly sure on that whole thing basicaly its a guy that gets a magic banner yea?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
i do like the idea of the hellblaster im hoping ill be lucky lol and as for the bsb im not overly sure on that whole thing basicaly its a guy that gets a magic banner yea?
Yes there is that, but he gives an additional +1 to Combat resolution beyond the normal baner in a unit, and all friendly units within 12" can re-roll failed break tests. Not to mention that there is no point limit to the magic banner so you can have the really good banners were you can re-roll basically all psychology tests or give the units stubborn or various other effects.

But mostly having a BSB in your main combat unit gives them that much batter chance of winning combat and rolling up the enemies line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts