Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I played a game today and this came up. Thought I'd see if anyone has clarification.

The rules for emergency disembarkation say that once a unit has performed an ED they can take no other voluntary action for the turn. Two questions came out of this: is this a game turn or a player turn, and would that rule out firing over watch or fighting back in CC?

I shot my opponent's Razorback and it exploded. He had veterans in the tank that had to get out. This all happened in my shooting phase (I went first and it was turn one). I felt that over watch was NOT allowed (firing a gun is a voluntary action), which he disagreed with (he interpreted it as taking an action such as a movement action, a shooting action or a charge action). I did however feel that fighting back in close combat was allowed simply for the sake of it being too easy to wipe squads out that way.

I also felt that it would make the most sense for this to last for a player turn, not a game turn, since most things that last a "game turn" say "until the start of your next turn" or something akin to that. He was uncertain (it seemed like he really thought it was for a game turn but didn't want to argue it too hard since that would've meant not using his vets on his turn). Any clarifications would be helpful!

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
If not specified "player turn" it normally means that its game turn so yours and your opponents.

As to the actions. In previous editions emergency disimbarkation counted as being pinned so no movement, shooting or assualting but as with pinning you can still fight back, if they charge you.

Also in the case of exploding tanks, unless your assess points are blocked don't you just disimbark? Emergency is when someone surrounds the tank and you cannot get out normally.

Hope this helps and is right will check when i get my book.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm certain that they are able to fight in CC. Participation in their half of the assault phase is mandatory.

I believe they are not allowed overwatch because it is something you choose to do when assaulted.

As for duration, I thought it was player turn unless otherwise stated as game turn, but I need to grab my rules to confirm.

Edit: I believe it is just a regular disembark, but for a while we were playing as emergency. As to the previous edition pinning, I believe in this edition, it's just an Explodes! result that calls for the pinning check.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's only an emergency disembarkation if you can't use the access points (because they're blocked for whatever reason), in which case models get placed in contact with the vehicles hull before making their normal disembark move. The exception to this is explodes results, where the unit is simply placed in coherency where the transport used to be as the transport is removed. (plus explodey damage, of course)

In terms of wrecked / exploded transports, both require a pinning test.

In terms of the phrasing of "voluntary actions", the only other place I can find this in the BRB is under Turbo boost:

"Bikes and Jetbikes therefore cannot shoot, charge or execute any other voluntary action until the end of their turn after Turbo-boosting"

Now there's argument there for "does overwatch fall under the cannot shoot heading" but as they'd have most likely had to have passed a pinning test in the first place (pinned units can't overwatch), I'd personally argue that they'd be allowed the overwatch.

As for combat, I'd definitely allow them to fight back as even gone to ground units get to do this, however I'd probably categorise things like declaring a challenge as a voluntary action.

It's not perfect, and there's definitely remit for RAW discussion, but the above is how I'd personally play it out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think I could agree either way on overwatch. On one hand, the pinning test is there to sort of answer that question, but I also think that overwatch is a choice and maybe not a mandatory action that you are compelled to do in the charge sub-phase.

As for close combat, the only condition I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't let you fight back is WS0. Right? I would have expected that if the intent were to have you incapacitated, it would be stated that you fight in the assault phase at WS0 or something to that effect.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, BRB says for Overwatch: "As soon as a charge has been declared against one of your units, that unit can immediately fire Overwatch at the would-be attacker – it doesn’t have to, but it’s often a good idea. An Overwatch attack is resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one resolved in the enemy’s Assault phase) and uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, cover saves and so on."

So, as @ArkInRev has said, it is a voluntary action and not a compulsory one. Further, it is clearly equated to regular shooting, so any circumstance that prevents regular shooting would also prevent overwatch.

However, you are right that this is not an emergency disembarkation. I had thought it was weird that his unit would get a full 6" move when his vehicle exploded... The first guy I played after getting back in kept calling it that when I wrecked his tanks, and he knew the rules better than I did so I didn't think anything of it. Whoops.

Also Rush is right that both wrecked and exploding vehicles require a pinning test.

Finally, after digging around I was able to find this: "Whenever a rule refers to ‘a turn’ it always means ‘player turn’ unless it specifically refers to a ‘game turn’." So that clarifies that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have confirmed that the last sentence of the Game Turns and Player Turns first paragraph, it says that a turn means "player turn" unless is specifically calls out a "game turn."

Edit: I guess we found that at the same time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Further, it is clearly equated to regular shooting, so any circumstance that prevents regular shooting would also prevent overwatch.
That's fair. I can probably still count the number of emergency disembarkations I've seen on one hand, so it's right it should be quite a punishing situation. I suppose it's there to represent the unit making a very disorganised egress by scrambling out of commanders hatches, blowing part of the vehicle open, etc. Naturally going to get murdered while doing things like that.

Yeah, weapon skill 0 means you get hit automatically and can't fight. Usual example being immobilised non-walker vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts