Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are a few Eldar special characters that have been around since the very beginning of the 2nd edition without every having a model update.

Honestly, I don't think these minis have needed them. Although they do look slightly static compared to some of the more recent special characters, I think that in those years of scale creep, the Eldar still haven't caught up to Asurmen.

Anyway, here are some pics. All kinds of commentary are welcome:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
These guys look great, and the paint job helps out alot. I would love to learn how you did your red and blacks on Eldrad, I am thinking about using the same scheme on my Deldar.

+rep

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My client wanted something to match the studio color schemes on these two, so I tried to match the painting style to some extent as well.

The way the GW studios likes to paint black is to make it generally dark, but highlight the edges very light. The advantage of this style is that it emphasizes the shape of the mini, something that is easy to lose in black.

The trouble is that if you merely hard edge everything without blending, the mini will look a little unfinished. So, what you need to do is put some dark grey over the edges of the black, and work your way up to a very light grey (mine was P3 frostbite- it is a nearly white blue color).

The red was simpler. I started out with a very dark crimson and worked by way up to a cadmium (blood red) color. The trouble with red is that if you go lighter than that, the mini will start to look either pink or orange, and it is hard to avoid.

I went ahead and let the red turn pink when I was painting the gemstones.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I screwed up the link to Eldrad's back. There it is, fixed it. The runes are based on the studio paintjob (it is one of the few minis where the back is shown in the books).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts