Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given their arrogant nature and their belief of humans being lesser mortals/animals, are there any direct references about eldar viewpoint on the ruler of mankind? ( Especially from bl novels?)

We know that demons and chaos gods are to some point terrified of Emperor and his psychic power, but what about the Eldar? Surely it wouldn't escape their attention? Or would they just deny a mon-keigh would ever be able to possess such a power?

·
Registered
638 Posts
The Farseer in Legion, who's a member of the Cabal no less, acknowledges the Emperor is the only member of humanity who would be considered for membership in the directors of the organization due to his psyker skills and his 'long sight' for galactic development.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The Farseer in Legion, who's a member of the Cabal no less, acknowledges the Emperor is the only member of humanity who would be considered for membership in the directors of the organization due to his psyker skills and his 'long sight' for galactic development.
Which is silly because he is on a different league than them. Someone beneath Malcador by several magnitudes would be a worthwhile candidate for the Cabal.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm guessing they'd view him as a typical specimen of the human race--violent in the extreme without an ounce of grace.

He crafted one of the (if not most) powerful human empires in history by strength of arms.

His psychic might and overwhelming intellect probably don't mean much to them. A human is a human is a human.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Which is silly because he is on a different league than them. Someone beneath Malcador by several magnitudes would be a worthwhile candidate for the Cabal.
They certainly did manage to assist in the 'self fulfilling prophecy' department. I've often wondered if foresight of the Cabal's meddling was one of the reasons for the Emperor's edict against Xenos.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I've often wondered if foresight of the Cabal's meddling was one of the reasons for the Emperor's edict against Xenos.
I have to disagree Over Two Meters Tall!! This edict was probably dealing more to do with humanities inate fear of the unkonwn; and those that differ from them. We have racism because people of one color do not trust people of another color on the basis they do not look (and sometimes act) like them. We have ethnicists who are afraid of another type of people based on their Historical Backround/Geographical positioning. Then we have just plain old fear of the other guy across the border who may come and take all that you have built/borrowed/beaten.

The Emporer, forseeing this, probably decreed Xeno's outlawed because humanity would be unable to accept them into the Imperium. Plus the dangerous idea's they could spawn probably scared the High Lords of Terra; thus causing them to enact certain measures after the Emporer faded from view.

While I have not read all the horus Heresy books yet i have yet to see any substantial involvement by the Eldar in the shaping of early Imperial history. Anyone know anything on this matter?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Eldrad has called the Emperor "weakling seer" our "corpse of a seer" who's arrogance shielded him from the truth when the eldar tried to warn him of Horus betrayal.

For a human to be called a seer might be concidered a compliment. But from the above I think even the greatest human psyker is to the eldar nothing more than a child that has found his fathers gun.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
They certainly did manage to assist in the 'self fulfilling prophecy' department. I've often wondered if foresight of the Cabal's meddling was one of the reasons for the Emperor's edict against Xenos.
It's because various races preyed on humanity during the Age of Strife even former allies.

Eldrad has called the Emperor "weakling seer" our "corpse of a seer" who's arrogance shielded him from the truth when the eldar tried to warn him of Horus betrayal.

For a human to be called a seer might be concidered a compliment. But from the above I think even the greatest human psyker is to the eldar nothing more than a child that has found his fathers gun.
And yet the Eldar, by far the most potent psyker race, have no one that can equal the Emperor's psychic might not even Eldrad by the looks of it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
And yet the Eldar, by far the most potent psyker race, have no one that can equal the Emperor's psychic might not even Eldrad by the looks of it.
Still a man who knows how to use his knife is more powerful than he who don't know how to use his rifle. I think it comes down to how you measure might. The eldar unconstrait led them to the Fall and the Emperor's led to the Heresy. But who has learnt most from their misstakes?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Still a man who knows how to use his knife is more powerful than he who don't know how to use his rifle. I think it comes down to how you measure might. The eldar unconstrait led them to the Fall and the Emperor's led to the Heresy. But who has learnt most from their misstakes?
This Post is Winning!

Seriously Broadsword to a Scalpel. Eldar IMo are far more skilled Psykers, where the Emperor was a massive brute of a Psychic force.

The Emp could be seen as a WW2 Tank. Great Defense, and offense. Eldrad a WW2 Grunt with his Rifle and Grenade. A Tank can kill hundreds of these guys sure, but one of these guys can and have taken out said tanks if they were skilled enough.

Not the best analogy, but one that comes to mind. The Emp was a powerhouse who was all about blunt showings of power. Eldar are not.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Whoa, before we jump on this Emperor-is-a-club bandwagon, where exactly does it suggest the Emperor has no finesse? Sources?

We see some skill in The First Heretic when the Emperor implants the image of Monarchia, before its destruction, in Lorgar's mind. It's a pretty comprehensive picture.

Likewise in Deliverance Lost when the Emperor speaks to Corax through Malcador (I'd assume without an Eldar wraithbone amulet like Ravenor), and then goes further to implant very specific memories, remotely, mind you, to Corax.

Granted, these aren't definitive examples, but the lore we have on the Emperor is rather...limited.

If you guys have some specific examples showing his ham-fistedness, I'd be glad to read them!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Whoa, before we jump on this Emperor-is-a-club bandwagon, where exactly does it suggest the Emperor has no finesse? Sources?

We see some skill in The First Heretic when the Emperor implants the image of Monarchia, before its destruction, in Lorgar's mind. It's a pretty comprehensive picture.

Likewise in Deliverance Lost when the Emperor speaks to Corax through Malcador (I'd assume without an Eldar wraithbone amulet like Ravenor), and then goes further to implant very specific memories, remotely, mind you, to Corax.

Granted, these aren't definitive examples, but the lore we have on the Emperor is rather...limited.

If you guys have some specific examples showing his ham-fistedness, I'd be glad to read them!

Ask the eldars. After all it is their view, and not our's, we're discussing.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

A example that comes to my mind, the Eldar foresaw the whole Heresy problem Years before it happen, Emperor was blinded till it really cost him.

Heres another, Eldar mastered Webway tech and psy ability to use it for eons, while the Emp was having so much time and effort just to access a single webway portal.

Also Emperor examples you gave are real basic modern day Psychic TV show stuff. Hardly that impressive. Communicating great distance is meh when he has the raw power to. Implanting thoughts and such is also meh when simple Jedi Mind tricks do the same in Star Wars. Nothing the Emperor has ever shown to be finesse or versatile power wise unlike Eldar. He shown great power, but thats it.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Wait, didn't the old ones build most/all of the webway? Or were they retconned out?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Wait, didn't the old ones build most/all of the webway? Or were they retconned out?

Correct, they did. Eldar simply inheritage it but has never had the knowledge on how to replicate or maintain it. Atleast not post-fall, atleast not craftworld eldar. Dark Eldar might with their residence in the webway and their portable webway portals.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
I think of the Eldar as effete snobs that have always had things handed to them, and humans as the poor cousins who have earned everything that they have via blood, sweat, and tears. The Eldar ruled the universe for years, but in the end their own incompetence and failure to see the situation for what it really was is the whole reason they fell.

In all actuality the 'true' Eldar are infact the Dark Eldar. They are what is left of the Eldar race as they truly evolved themselves. The ones that are in Codex: Eldar are the small percentage that saw the truth and decided to change themselves into a more 'green' culture ... fucking tree huggers. All of them are longer lived than a normal human and most are horrified by the thought of mechanical limb replacement, or cybernetic upgrades ... humans ... not so much. As a matter of fact, I would think that a large majority of humans would welcome it if it were a great benefit with no drawbacks.

The Emperor is more battle psyker oriented than any Eldar psyker is IMO. I have never read of any Eldar completely obliterating anyone's soul out of all existence. I could be wrong about that but I have never read anything to the contrary. One other thing to consider is that the Emperor also hid his existence from all for many millennia. If he can do that to the super psyker Eldar, then I think he is more powerful than even they could imagine that he is.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
... The Eldar ruled the universe for years, but in the end their own incompetence and failure to see the situation for what it really was is the whole reason they fell.

In all actuality the 'true' Eldar are infact the Dark Eldar. They are what is left of the Eldar race as they truly evolved themselves. The ones that are in Codex: Eldar are the small percentage that saw the truth and decided to change themselves into a more 'green' culture ...
Ah yes, craftworld Eldar. The puritan pilgrims of the warhammer 40k universe.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Dark Eldar are the true Eldar in tech. Craftworld Eldar are true Eldar in Psy potential. They both have pros and cons.

Also pretty sure both have knowledge on how to maintain the webway, and repair it, or add to it like the DE have.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
A example that comes to my mind, the Eldar foresaw the whole Heresy problem Years before it happen, Emperor was blinded till it really cost him.
It seems otherwise, at least from The Outcast Dead.

And even if this was the case, just because SOME Eldar (namely one) foresaw something the Emperor MAY not have seen, that doesn't mean the Emperor is hamfisted.

It just means (particular Eldar) saw something he did not.

Heres another, Eldar mastered Webway tech and psy ability to use it for eons, while the Emp was having so much time and effort just to access a single webway portal.
The Eldar did not "master" the Webway. They inherited it from the Old Ones.

Also, the Webway has nothing to do with psychic finesse.

Nothing the Emperor has ever shown to be finesse or versatile power wise unlike Eldar.
Nothing has shown it to the contrary either. The funny thing about making claims is that you actually need support. The lack of support is not sufficient evidence when making a claim.

Key note: I am not making a claim other way. Is the Emperor a lumbering behemoth of a psyker? I do not know. Is he more subtle than the Eldar? I can not make that claim either. I lack sufficient evidence. Do you?
~~~~~~~

I don't have my codices on hand, but I think there's sections of the Webway beyond the means of the Eldar to repair. I'll double check this when I get home.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The Emperor consorting with the Pantheon speaks volumes about his abilities and the fact that he is the only uncorruptible being. The pantheon fear him and refer to him as the anathema while the Eldar cower the moment Slaanesh's name is mentioned.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts