Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's some homebrew rules i've been toying with for an eldar warp hunter (aka a falcon chassis d-cannon tank :biggrin:)

stats = usual falcon stats

main weapon = turret mounted d-cannon with dual fire modes

mode 1 = 12-24" range, 5" blast
mode 2 = 24-48" range, 3" blast

upgrades = standard

due to the vehicle mounted nature of this d-cannon and the higher power reserves available, it can fire further than the support platform version. however, the area of effect becomes less the further away the target is.

i've also thought up an apoc formation for it as follows

yme-loc doomwind titan hunter squadron = 200pts + models

formation:
1 war walker
3 warp hunters

the doomwind titan hunters came into being through necessity rather than design due to the lack of sufficient cobra superheavy grav tank support during the prolonged war against the lumbering titans of the mon'keigh on the defiled maiden world of lly'gaedan.

the ever-present threat from the mon'keigh's scout titans led the autarchs to develop a new strategy that would allow them to deal with the vanguard of the titan battle groups. a doomwind squadron composed of the combined firepower of 3 warp hunter grav-tanks coordinated by a war walker in a concealed position allowed the neutralisation of the enemy scout titans whilst the cobra crews concentrated tackling the battle titans

formation special rules

forward observer:

the solitary war walker that commands the doomwind squadron acts as a forward observer and calls in targeting data to allow for the swift and sure destruction of the enemy. the forward observer allows the doomwind squadron to re-roll scatter when firing their d-cannon. if the forward observer is destroyed, this ability is lost also.

the sundered veil:
the members of the doomwind squadron may choose to act independently and seek separate targets or they may choose to combine the power of their primary weapons and unleash a volley akin to that of the cobra. if the members of the doomwind squadron are within 12" of each other at the start of the shooting phase, they may choose to fire a combined shot from their d-cannon with the following profile:

range:12-48", S:D, 7" blast

if the doomwind squadron choose to combine their firepower, they may not fire their d-cannon until after the following shooting phase in order to allow them to recharge. defensive weapons may be used as normal.

opinions, suggestions, criticisms. i welcome them all :victory:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I think this is a good idea, it have you thought about a points value? I think anything less than 130 would be on the wrong side of cheap because it makes the very dangerous D cannon useful.

I like the formation too :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Seeing as the D-cannon is Strength X does that count as offensive or Defensive? Sorry If its the same for all X weapons but i was wondering if you may need to specify this.

Otherwise I agree with Calamari, Good idea but think of a suitable points cost.

Cant believe i didnt think of this before!

·
Registered
488 Posts
It should be much more than 130. 160 minimum. Keep in mind it is a mobile and armored version of a cannon that was less mobile and artillery for balance reasons, and that it also offers increased range. Holo-field on a fast skimmer sniping D-Cannon? Yes, please!

·
Registered
488 Posts
It would be OK, but only if it didn't have the option of another big gun on it's turret. Starcannon/Brightlance with a D-Cannon might be a bit too much.
EDIT: That's if the D-Cannon is there instead of the Pulse Laser, ofcourse. D-Can with a Pulse Laser could also, naturally, be a bit too much.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Seeing as the D-cannon is Strength X does that count as offensive or Defensive? Sorry If its the same for all X weapons but i was wondering if you may need to specify this.
I think I read somewhere (or heard it) that all SX weapons coutn as defensive. I remember when we were discussing the new dark eldar codex and it came up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts