Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am playing EL and I am up against SM what is the best way to pop Land raider and Terminator armour?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm no expert on playing Eldar, but I've read the codex and have an idea of what sounds kinda scary to my Chaos Marines.

Bright Lances are nice for taking out Land Raiders. Big tough vehicle suddenly only counts as Armor 12.

As for terminators, banshees are pretty good for that. My usual Nurgle termies aren't that scared, since they would only be wounded on 6s, but since normal SMs haven't wised up and sided with the Dark Gods, banshees can wound them on 5s. That doesn't sound terribly impressive, but bring a Farseer with them with the Doom power and the rerolls can make a pretty big difference. I don't remember which Banshee exarch weapon boosts its Str, but giving him that can help a lot too.

Meanwhile, Fire Dragons and Wraithguard are pretty good at both, as long as they can stay out of cc with the terminators. Try softening them up with Banshees, then if they win they'll hopefully have taken enough losses that Fire Dragons of Wraithguard can shoot the rest down. Wraithlords are cool too, since they can take Bright Lances and get through terminator armor in cc.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Contrary to popular belief bright lances really aren't spectacular at knocking out heavy tanks. For both Terminators and Land Raiders I'd suggest units of Fire Dragons. Terminators are easy to melt with melta weapons and Land Raiders go boom very easily as well. If possible, try to set up a one-two punch where you can knock out the Land Raider and then deal with the Terminators inside in the same turn.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I didn't really want to take 2 different units now I can take 2 units of Fire dragons.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Remember against the LR to make use of the melta rule - At half range get an extra D6 for penetration. Also if you are going to try to hack termies to pieces with Banshees, try to soften them up with some firepower so you don't lose too many if they get to counter-attack.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I saw this list it sounded good

1 Farseer Psyker; Doom ; Guide ; Fleet; Ghosthelm; Rune Armour; Runes of Warding; Runes of Witnessing; Spirit Stones; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade)

5 Fire Dragons, Fusion Gun, Melta Bombs
1 Wave Serpent, Energy Field, Shuriken Cannon, TL Scatter Lasers

5 Fire Dragons Fusion Gun, Melta Bombs
1 Wave Serpent, Energy Field, Shuriken Cannon, TL Scatter Lasers

5 Dire Avengers Avenger S-Catapult
1 Wave Serpent Energy Field, Shuriken Cannon, TL Scatter Lasers

1 Vyper Squadron
1 Vyper Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

1 Vyper Squadron

1 Vyper Squadron

1 War Walker Squadron
1 War Walker Scatter laser

1 War Walker Squadron
1 War Walker scatter laser

1 War Walker Squadron
1 War Walker Scatter Laser

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i just played a battle and my team mates landraider got popped first turn by a brightlance

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Bright lances are not great at getting rid of land raiders. I use them against raiders but I have only got shaken results. This is good for short term because it stops it mostly firing but a more permanent is using dragons or a wraithlord to pound on its hull.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I use Bright Lances on my Fire Dragon Wave Serpents just in case. Yeah the have a 75% chance of hitting, 33% chance of a Pen and 33% chance to Wreck/Explode the Land Raider, so what 8% chance. But if it does then my Fire Dragons get to shoot up some Terminators instead. That is a game changer right there. As soon as your Fire Dragons get out of their Tank they are going to die so you might as well give them the best chance to succeed in doing something first.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ihave seen dual prisms work well at both. I knoe star cannons are pricey but I use them on my serpents to take out termies. Also Jain Zar with a squad of banshees makes quick work of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I play a lot of games versus (or sided with) an eldar player and have really felt them tare up my and my buddy's terms. So, a few words of advice for fighting terms, land raiders, and SM in general:

-Don't run Avatar. Just putting this out there. If you were thinking about it. Don't. Look at his points, consider his 6" of movement a turn, and then laugh about it.

-Fire Dragons are very good vs. vehicles, as has been said earlier. However, it should be noted that 1. you gotta be within 6" of Land raider to use melta rule effectively, and 2. they will be dropped by terms if not in cover or out of range.

-I would suggest those sniper dudes (i think dark reapers?) with maugan ra can really pick out termies effectively.

-For advice on the land raider: its the best armored vehicle in the SM army, so if nothing else make sure you are ready to shoot at what comes out of it (if you cant down the thing itself :p). Though i think a fire prism can definitely at least immobilize it?

Edit: you can use the Farseer to buff the dark reapers to really make them shoot stuff up, what with re-rolled to-hit rolls or whatnot

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would suggest those sniper dudes (i think dark reapers?) with maugan ra can really pick out termies effectively.
You're either thinking pathfinders, in which case I at least partially agree, or Dark Reapers, in which case you're wrong (no offense intended). Reaper's weapons are AP3. I also wouldn't have picked Maugan Ra vs termies.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I always surprise people with how effective pathfinders are at popping termies. Lots of AP1's scare people.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gotta agree about the dragons, my bikes popped an eldar wave serpent with a bunch of fire dragons in it the Terminators hanging around nearby never made it to cover, they never made it anywhere in fact.
The fire dragons turned them into greasespots. I still won the game but that hurt watching those dragons turn 260 pts of elite into ash. The lance rule still makes me think twice about going anywhere near one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A Dark Reaper squad with an exarch, tempest launcher and fast shot will make short work of the power armoured marines. The exarch has BS5, the tempest launcher is a barrage weapon and fast shot will give you 3 blast templates. All you have to do is hit on the first shot and the other two should still hit marines, then you get to laugh as they die since it ignores directional cover (provided there is nothing above them of course). Of course the range isnt as good as the reaper launchers, but its still 36" and that's not something to be laughed at. Keep in mind though, that the metagame at my local is footslogging, so this works well in that case. This will run into trouble against mech if you can't destroy the transports quickly. I hope this makes sense, its been a long week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For the land raider, the fire dragons are a good choice if you can get your melta guns within range. The problem is that once they kill it, they are bait for whatever comes out or whatever happens to be standing near them at the time. Also, if you put too much faith in them, what happens if the enemy takes a tank-heavy army? The fire dragons will basically get 1 turn to shine, as they are fragile. Don't ignore bright lances though. Admittedly they don't stand up to 5 melta guns, but the melta guns basically work over 1 turn. With only 4's to glance, and with a long range, bright lances can work over more than 1 turn. Even if they aren't as effective in 1 turn as fire dragons, people still fear them for a reason, and will often hide their tanks from its direct line of fire.

Against the termies, there are 3 methods.
1. AP2 weapons. The fire prism and rangers are good for this. Apart from that there's basically just the fire dragons and wraithguard, but with only a 12 inch range, they are guaranteed to be charged next turn.
2. Piling on wounds. The 20ish shots from a dire avenger unit is guaranteed to do some damage. Also warp spiders, dark reapers or whatever tickles your fancy.
3. Power weapons. Banshees. The most potent terminator-killing weapons in the game. On the 1st turn they strike at initiative 10 and get 3 attacks each on the charge. If the unit is doomed then there is little hope of survival. If the unit has a hero or storm shields though this complicates things as the banshees can dish it out, but if some termies survives the banshees can't take a hit, so use other units to take down some of the termies before going in for the kill with the banshees.

Hope this helps:victory:

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are alot of Eldar players where I'm from, and by far the most effective way I've seen to wipe out heavy armour with them, is to have two 6 man units of fire dragons wait till the LR gets a little too far from the main force,to keep them from counter attacking your dragons.Drop both units of dragons, 1 within melta range for the unit that is going to take out the tank, then one unit pops the tank, and the serpents and the other dragons kill what comes out being sure to use the serpents as road blocks to protect your dragons from any stragglers. Obviously is a FS is in range doom and guide always helps.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ghost792
"the tempest launcher is a barrage weapon"

I'm afraid it's not a barrage weapon, it's Heavy 2, Blast.
Look in your Codex under Dark Reaper Exarch Wargear. If it was Barrage it would state it clearly after Blast, see rules book page 32 for an example.

To get the benefits of "No Cover Saves" you need to use the Exarch Power "Crack Shot", but this cannnot be used in the same turn that the Exarch uses "Fast Shot". Sorry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pssyche
Its range is written as G36", the addition of the G is an older way of denoting a barrage weapon. It states this on page 38 of the BRB in the second paragraph of the section on barrage weapons.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts