Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my friends are playing some 800ish-point games and my Orky friend is thinking of fielding around 15 Lootas and Ghazghkull Thraka, along with some Nobz, Deff Koptas and some Boyz. Because of cost issues all I've got is the battleforce, with some choice additions (scorpions, an autarch (unmodelled) and some reaps).

Any ideas for countering these units (ESPECIALLY Ghazghkull and the Lootas) with space elves?

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
It's...just... impossible for you to win. You should just remodel your army by having them grab their weedy ankles and cramming their pointy heads up their ginormous rectal cavities and kissing their colons goodbye. The Orks are obviously better in the grim dark future. :mrgreen: :grin:

OBGOG

P.S. If you haven't figured it out yet, I was joking and I am sure someone will give you better advice than I did. :eek:k:

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Oi! I'm going to have to turn in my green skin for telling spacy panzies how to fight orks. So lets look at what he is bringing for a moment. It will depend on points but at 800 to 1200 points if he take Ghazie and 15 lootas that is half or over half his army right there. Now throw in some more expensive nobs, these will be troops because of ghazie, three deffkoptas and there is not a whole lot of room for boyz.

So it will be a small ork army. This is good for you because the way to beat it is with speed. Jet bikes, war walkers, warp spiders, striking scorpions are all good. Throw in a few missle platforms and some cheap troops are you will be ready to go.

The big threats to your army are the lootas and the deffkoptas. The deffkoptas because they have speed like you and lootas because they have lots of long range fire power. However, both can be taken care of very easy. Shot them with everything that can reach them then assualt them as soon as possible. If they are being assualted they can't shoot. Orks also have low leadership so dropping below 10 models means leadership checks and usually both of these units will run away if they aren't destroyed.

Ghasie is tough and can deliver a nast 12 inch charge into assault. His big disadvantage is that unless he is mounted in a truck, looted wagon or battlewagon he has to walk. His mega armor makes him slow and purposeful meaning he rolls to see how far he can move. The bonus for you is anyone that joins him moves as slow as he does. The easy way to deal with him is leave him along shoot everything else like the boyz that will benefit from his waagh. Stay away from Ghazie until him or his unit is pretty much alone then hit him with all your missle lauchers and warwalker weapons and just start making him take wounds. Only fight him if you have to and can not run away from him.

I feel so dirty right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you could list what wargear your models have(don't list points obviously), I should be able to give you some advice on how to approach the Orks. As stated before your best bet is speed.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is that at 800pts the Orks are going to be winning most Ork.vs.Eldar fights, even with choices other than the (shite) battleforce you are going to have a hard time.

As stated your best bet is speed and outranging the nastier elements, the issue you are going to have is getting enough into your army to win.

With the battleforce you at least have a war walker - this will help, if you can afford it then a second would be invaluable and will likely find a place in your future larger army (if you choose to collect one). Eldar's strong points are its HQ and HS slots. Equip the war walkers either to blow away the kopters or to kill a lot of boyz, your best bet with orks is to try and "dice" them, lots of shots is going to help you - Shuriken Cannons are my preference. Maybe SC/BL on the walkers, then you can use them for both.

The battleforce WS will be helpful, either fill it with scorpions or the DAs also in the box, again, if you have the spare cash then a box more of DAs will be used in nearly every army you make - this serpent can be equiped to blow stuff apart from range, then fly in endgame and capture an objective by dropping the DAs out. Personally I would run it stripped down as you need your points, but its up to you to experiment with upgrades based on your play style.

For HQ, either take your Autarch as a nice cheap option, or consider a Farseer to doom choice targets, this will make your dice generating units even more effective.

Jetbike would be handy, but there arent any in the battleforce, they would give you more capturing troops and more SC.

Reapers aren't imho very useful against orks as the AP is not needed, however they will still be effective at ranged killing which is how you need to fight.

The scorpions I would ignore, they will suffer against the Orks superior CC skills. Points for points these won't help you.

If you must take guardians then give them another SC to lay shots down.

As for tactics Morfangdakka hit the nails on the head, the real threat will be the defkopters messing up your plan, blow them away then run circles around the orks, keep them at distance and make sure they don't get within charge distance. NEVER FORGET THE WAAGH - one bad turn and all your choice units will be in combat and that is a bad thing.

If you can stretch to it then more DA and a second WS will make everything soo much easier, I remember when me and friend who also plays Eldar both upgraded to two WS and 20 DA - our games changed forever and nearly every army starts with them - that and fireprisms but that is because they are the reason I play Eldar :p

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
The scorpions I would ignore, they will suffer against the Orks superior CC skills. Points for points these won't help you.
You're kidding right?
Fighting light infantry is what they DO, effectively 5 attacks on the charge (including pistol), striking before the Orks, they will kill 1 each on average, slightly more.
And they have a 3+ armour save to boot.
Each Ork, given they charge and are Slugga Boys (probably while Fleeting) will kill about 0.4 Scorpions, and it goes downhill for them from there, since they get cut down before they attack, and they lose heaps of effectiveness after the charge, going down to 0.25 kills per Ork, as opposed to the Scorpion's 0.625.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I missed that Winterous good spot. Scorpions excel at cutting down light infantry, I think someone forgot to take his meds the morning (Bubblematrix) :laugh:

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I missed that Winterous good spot. Scorpions excel at cutting down light infantry, I think someone forgot to take his meds the morning (Bubblematrix) :laugh:
They're much better at killing IG, for obvious reasons.
Orks do put up a good fight though, since they're WS and T 4, meaning you both hit and wound on 4+ instead of 3+, which is saddening :<

And really, when you put numbers to it, everything seems a little underwhelming.
Woo, I'm killing 0.6 of a guy every turn :S
But that's actually fairly good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys... now what kit would you recommend for the Autarch and the various Exarchs (Scorpions, DAs, and either Warp Spiders or Reaps)? And what weapons should I have for the guardian platform and war walker(s)?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
On a Guardian weapon platform, generally you either take a Shuriken Cannon, or a Missile Launcher, I probably wouldn't bother with anything else, one is cheap, one is decent and versatile.

Autarch, usually taking a Fusion Gun is a good plan, but he really can be suited to do almost anything.

I would almost always give the Scorpion Exarch a Biting Blade, that thing is a monster, and cheap too; powers depends entirely on how you plan to use them, but the Move Through Cover one never hurts.

Avenger Exarch, from what I've seen not always a good idea to take one, more dudes is fine, and you don't NEED to do Bladestorm.

Warp Spiders, Exarch with either gun upgrade (I like Spinnerette rifle myself), and Withdraw is nice.

War Walkers work very well with Missile Launchers, a nice barrage of attacks that can hurt just about anything fairly well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts