Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so Ive never played at 1000 points (i usually play 2000) so i dont really know what to expect/bring to the fight and i tried to make the best list i could think for 1000 pts

(130) Farseer w/ spirit stones, doom, and fortune
(177) 10 Striking Scorpions w/ exarch w/ biting blade
(125) Wave Serpent w/spirit stones tl scatter lasers

(60) 5 Dire Avengers
(125) Wave Serpent w/spirit stones and tl scatter lasers

(152) 10 Dire Avengers w/ exarch w/ dual cats and bladestorm
(125) Wave Serpent w/spirit stones and tl scatter lasers

(115) Night Spinner

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks good there is little substitute for Scorpions vs Orks but that can be said when using any Eldar aspect warrior vs its intended target personally Ive found the sweet spot for Scorps to be 8 men including the Exarch this size still packs the intended punch and leaves you some more points to work with if you've got another place to put them 10 isnt bad though

Ive found 10 man DA squads blade storming make a mess of Orks as well

And my favorite unit in the Eldar codex vs orks is the Night Spinner the Str 6 makes a mess of them along with having to roll 20+ dangerous terrain checks means alot of dead orks as well as slowing down their advance

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooooo man i completly forgot about the spinner because i never use it but thats an epic idea thanks! itll destroy orks like anything and make them slow too! thanks for reminding me that'll do some serious damage

ill also try to include the da unit in the original post

Another question i forgot to ask but what ork units should i be worried about having ranged anti tank? because as long as i can get them out early i can just avoid his army until last turn

·
Registered
435 Posts
Orks? with ranged anti-tank? surely you jest. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i know they have lootas, flash gitz, and tankbustas and i was just wondering what is the typical form of anti tank for orks that is ranged, in otherwords what should i being mech try to wipe off the board first turn

·
Registered
55 Posts
My friend plays orks and uses Killa kans with some sort of rocket for his anti tank along with the helicopters with a PF and knob bikers using fists

good rule of thumb is just keep things away from your tanks and the ork player will be hard pressed to hurt them (this is general advice without knowing your opponents ork list)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah, as said above me, Deffcoptaz are normally used as anti-tank, or killa kans, I don't think you'd have to worry much about lootaz, simply because their guns are only str 7, and its really hard to get the "ass end" of eldar tanks with guys that only move 6 inches. But someone could try it.

I'd watch out for a deffkopta scout-move blitz if your opponent is tricky otherwise, just keep out of reach and pray he doesn't get lucky when he does get near you.

I once played a match where I wrecked two wave serpents just on lucky melee rolls, so its important on keeping them out of range.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, as said above me, Deffcoptaz are normally used as anti-tank, or killa kans, I don't think you'd have to worry much about lootaz, simply because their guns are only str 7, and its really hard to get the "ass end" of eldar tanks with guys that only move 6 inches. But someone could try it.
Everything else you said is fine, but this I take exception to. Lootaz are deadly. First off, they're not going to target rear armour. They have Heavy, 48" guns. So they're going to sit in a piece of terrain that grants 4+ cover, (so your Night Spinner, glorious as it is, doesn't get much mileage out of the special rules.)

A unit of 15 Lootaz will fire 15, 30 or 45 shots.
On average, 15 shots = 5 hits = 5/6 glances, 5/6 penetrates vs AV12.
Obviously, 30 shots would be 10/6 glances and penetrates (which is around 1.7 of each).
45 shots is almost three glancing hits and almost three penetrating hits.

Bottom line; Lootaz kill AV12 tanks easily compared to most other ranged units out there.
Draidgen, I like your list, but I have the following objection;
you've tailored your list to fight orks. I presume, therefore, that your opponent has tailored his list to fight Eldar?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the anti tank advice i have played orks before at 2000 and they have never brought lootaz or any rangedness but im at college now so i dont know this guys list, and was just wondering what to watch out for

And i actually dont think he is tailoring his list to much because he only has enough orks to fight at 1000 points because when i asked him for a 2000pt match he said he only had 1000 which makes me think hes going to use what hes got so he cant really tailor to much

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well Ive seen lootaz used against me using the lasers they can take (i think thats the gun you are talking about)

At this point level he didn't take that many and they were on foot in cover, so they were promptly hit by by the Night Spinner which takes cover saves from the center of the blast marker not where the firer is located. Since he had under 12 he was taking leadership tests and after a few salvos they were pinned and then they broke and ran loosing 1 or two guys to dangerous terrain so they couldn't rally

I realize cover saves help orks immensely, when I fought lootaz there was a Mech boy attached even, but it is gust an ork shooting that dangerous gun so the go down when you keep the pressure on them

As long as you identify them and keep the Spinner behind cover/ 49"+ I found lootaz can be dealt with, be warned though they have a punch and dont think the spinner will vaporize them like a fire Prism will its more tricky taking 2 or 4 shots out of a squad every tun and having a chance to pin can go along way to reducing a units effectiveness. They do make a mess of AV 10, aka warwalkers or even giving a wraithlord something to worry about long range

And the #1 thing to remember is to turbo boost you Serpents and fortune them that gives you a 4+ re-rollable cover save on top of the shielding the Serpent comes with it makes it almost impossible to crack at this point level if used smartly. Use this tactic to deliver your Scorps or any serpent you know will come under heavy fire out in the open its a life saver

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea ive never have had a fortuned serpent go down and that was my plan with the fortune seer and the scorpions in the serpent, hopefully ill keep the larger anvenger squad and the scorpion squad together and wait for him to split up his units, becuase if he doesnt split them up multiple squads will get hit by the night spinner and when he does ill use the da/scorpions to take them out one by one with doom/bladestorm/combat with the scorps and hopefully ill just be able to slowly pick him off like that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts