Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gaz Taylor from Dakka Dakka came round mine for a game. First time playing Gaz so would be interesting and he's brought Daemons which I've only had a handful of games against. Gaz is a Fantasy player mainly, but getting back into 40k. He usually goes to Fantasy tournaments, but this is his first time using the exact same Daemon army in 40k. How will he do?

Eldar "The Lost" - 2,000 points

HQ

Farseer doom, guide & spirit stones

Farseer guide & runes of warding

Elites

5 x Fire Dragons w/ Wave Serpent serpent w/ twin-linked brightlance & shuriken cannon

5 x Fire Dragons w/ Wave Serpent serpent w/ twin-linked shuriken cannon & shuriken cannon

5 x Fire Dragons w/ Wave Serpent serpent w/ twin-linked shuriken cannon & shuriken cannon

Troops

10 x Dire Avengers w/ Wave Serpent serpent w/ twin-linked brightlance & shuriken cannon

10 x Dire Avengers w/ Wave Serpent serpent w/ twin-linked brightlance & shuriken cannon

6 x Guardian jetbikes 2 x shuriken cannon

Heavy Support

Fire Prism

Fire Prism

Total: 1,992

Daemons

HQ

Lord of Change

Herald of Slaanesh - chariot of slaanesh, unholy might

Herald of Slaanesh - chariot of slaanesh, unholy might

Elites

3 x Flamers of Tzeentch - bolt of tzeentch

3 x Flamers of Tzeentch - bolt of tzeentch

Troops

12 x Daemonettes

12 x Plaguebearers

12 x Plaguebearers

10 x Bloodletters

10 x Pink Horrors - bolt of tzeentch

10 x Pink Horrors - bolt of tzeentch

Fast Attack

10 x Flesh Hounds of Khorne

Game: Seize Ground and Pitched Battle

Deployment:

I lost the roll off and Gaz went second (surprise surprise!) with his Daemons (he left his Daemons on the board but they're not deployed there!), I deployed my Wave Serpents as normal and held the Guardian Jetbikes back behind the large shrine ruin, they'll come in useful later for a counter attack unit.

Gaz splits his arm up, the first wave made up of both Heralds, Bloodletters, both Plaguebearers and the Hounds. Second wave got the rest, though bad luck for Gaz his second wave enters the game first.

*Tactical Notes

Ok, bummer I've lost a turn of shooting which isn't cool. So in my next turn I'm just going to keep things close to terrain and shield rear armour that way those Tzeentch suckers cannot get rear armour shots and any deep striking close to my units has terrain to face.

My plan is to wipe out the Bird, I'll zip up with Fire Dragons blast it and torrent it with brightlances - it can move 18" in total for assault and gets 2D6 on my armour, not good. Then the Flamers are next as they glance vehicles on a 4+, with only 3 of them hopefully they shouldn't last long. Once those threats are out the way I'll get out and deal with the Horrors and Daemonettes. The rest I'll deal with in time as and when.

Turn 1

We're just about to start and I realised we didn't put any objectives down! Double doh! So we both agreed to play on kill points as my deployment would give me advantage where to place objectives. So it's now a kill point game!!

I move units 6" and shield the rears on to Serpents placing them back to back, rest of my stuff I keep close together so if those Daemons suckers can close hopefully they'll scatter and then be on the mishap table.

No shooting from me, obivously.

Daemons start to pour onto the table. Firstly both Horror units arrive, one scatters but is safe. Next is the Flamers which scatter and land in a large tower ruin, they pass dangerous terrain ok. Next are the Daemonettes which land in open space near the tower ruin and another ruin. Finally is the big Daemon-Bird which scatters onto one of my Serpents, it mishaps and get a 3 so I can place where ever - I put it near the back of the board in terrain so if it has to move out it's either 3D6 or take dangerous terrain for those weeks putting it out of assault range but not my gun range!

Shooting Horrors fire bolts at a single Serpent and score crew stunned. That's it. Daemonettes run but not far and take cover behind the tower ruin.

*Tactical Notes

Ok bad luck for Big Bird, hopefully I've not put him too far back for a unit of Fire Dragons to zip up and light his ass up. Bit of a downer a tank is stunned but not the end of the world, can't fire and no assault units close by to take advantage.

This turn I'll blow away Lord of Change with meltas and brightlances. I will bail out the Avengers out the stunned Serpent and another and blast those Horrors, should net me three kill points if I'm lucky. It also means those Flamers either take dangerous terrain tests to get out of terrain or walk, which could take wounds or put them out of range, but best part is it brings them out of terrain so I can shoot and assault them. The Daemonettes are exposed still, even after running, I'll blow them away with Fire Prisms.

Turn 2

I zip up a Dragon Serpent towards the Bird and bail them out ready to nuke it. I move another Dragon Serpent through terrain ok to target the Bird. I shift other Wave Serpents 6" and bail out Avengers from one and Avengers from the stunned Serpent which move 6" towards a unit of Horrors. The Fire Prisms move a little bit to get better LOS on the Daemonettes.

Farseers cast psychic powers, doom on some Horrors and guide on both Avenger units going to shoot at two Horror untis. Shooting the Fire Prisms blast the Daemonettes and only 3 remain, not bad killing. Avengers fire at both Horror units, each Horror unit has 3 models remaining after the shurikens have stopped. Fire Dragons blast the Lord of Change along with pretty much every available brightlance and shuriken cannon but the Daemon Bird survives with 2 wounds remaining! WTF!?

In assault the Avenger unit which got out the stunned Serpent charges the Horrors and finishes them off, they consolidate into terrain.

Daemons turn, Gaz calls for reserves and nothing comes in except a single Herald after he rolls a lot of 2's in a row - he even swaps dice and the 2's continue to flow! Good for me though ;)

Herald deep strikes and scatters into terrain but passes dangerous terrain test ok. Lord of Change attempts to move through terrain away from the Dragons but only moves 3", not good! The remaining three Horrors move to blow away the exposed Fire Dragons. The three Daemonettes hug terrain so out of sight. The Flamers move from the ground floor of the tower ruin to the first floor.

Shooting the Flamers gun down half my Avengers even though in terrain, only 5 left but they pass morale ok. The remaining Horrors kill my Fire Dragons and the Lord pops their Serpent with a bolt of tzeentch.

Kill points are Eldar 1: Daemons 2

*Tactical Notes

Ok major bummer that Lord of Change asborbed 4 melta shots, 3 brightlances and 12 shuriken shots and survived, gutted. Shame I couldn't assault those remaining Horrors either, would have been nice and I'd possibly still have some Dragons.

Also, Farseers cast powers in the start of the Eldar turn, how annoying!! Half my units are in transports which means I cannot guide them because a model from those units aren't within 6" as not on the table!

Next turn I'll finish off those Horrors, the half wounded Lord of Change and target those Flamers before they do any more damage. The Daemonettes can wait, if I'm inside transports or keep back they shouldn't get or hurt me.

Turn 3

I move a Dragon Shuri Serpent through terrain ok, I move a Dragon Lance Serpent through terrain and it gets immobilised, nice :( . I move the other Serpents 6" and get the 5 man Avenger unit back into terrain while the full man squad moves into terrain to get cover.

I blast Fire Prisms at the Herald scoring two wounds on it, 3 more to go though. I blast the Horror unit with shuriken cannon fire from a Dragon Serpent killing all but one. I blast the Lord with all the brightlances and shuriken cannons avaiable but fail to kill it or score any more wounds!!! I blast Daemonettes with shuriken catapults from the Avengers in terrain but still leave a survivor, doh!

Gaz calls for more reserves this time bringing down the second Herald, Bloodletters, Plaguebearers and Flesh Hounds.

Herald deep strikes by the other and lands ok. Bloodletters deep strike behind the double Dragon Serpents, they scatter and land on one, roll on the mishap table sees them destroyed, good times for me! Flesh Hounds land behind my line of Wave Serpents and land ok. Plaguebearers land in terrain and fail two dangerous terrain rolls but pass invulnerables ok. Unit of Flamers which I haven't mentioned all game so far because hiding behind the tower ruin, they come out along with the single Daemonette ready to assault and blast my exposed Avengers. The Bird flies towards the Serpent line while the single Horror runs away!

Shooting the Horrors blast templates at my Avengers covering 14, after it's said done only a single Avengers remains which passes morale. Flamers in the tower blast down breath of chaos at my Wave Serpent closest to them and immobilise it. Lord throw a bolt at something but does no damage.

In assault the Daemonette charges the single Avenger and rips it to pieces with rending claws.

Kill points are Eldar 2: Daemons 3

*Tactical Notes

God damn that fucking son of bitch pissy bastard Lord of Change!! Why won't you just die! Tactical mistake, instead of firing at the three Daemonettes I should have fired at the Flamers as I said, those Damonettes would and did kill my Avengers and I might have possibly still had a working Wave Serpent and another kill point as I doubt 3 Flamers would take 20 shuri catapult shots.

I'm gonna blast the Bird still, he's closing in and I don't want him assaulting my units still. I'm gonna kill that single Horror and get a point if it's the last thing I do and attempt to tackle both Flamer units. Though, problem I've got now is a unit of fast moving Flesh Hounds are right behind me looking with drooling chops at my exposed rear armour. I'll get out the Dragons from the immobilised Serpent and use them along with the Jetbikes which I've been holding back and two Avenger units and torrent them to death, if they die sooner I'll gun down me some Flamers!

Turn 4

Psychic power casting, I cast doom on Khorne puppies. No guide as nothing worth guiding!

I move the Fire Prisms about pulling them back away from the Heralds. Dragons from the immobilised Serpent get out and move through terrain towards the Hounds. Jetbikes I've held back move and target the Hounds while the 5 man and other Avenger units bail out of transports with shuri catapults primed. All Serpents just scoot 6" so any units need 4+ to hit in combat at least. Remaining mobile Dragon Shuri Serpent moves out and lands in terrain ok, Dragons bail out ready to nuke the Lord of Change, hopefully it won't be a repeat!

I blast the Hounds with 5 man Avengers, Dragons and Jetbikes and thanks to the doom power they're toast. I blast Bird with Fire Dragons and it's dead; finally! I blast the Horror with the shuri cannons from the Dragons Serpent but it survives, I fire other stuff at it too and it still lives! I blast a unit of Flamers with Avengers and wipe them out. I blast Fire Prisms at the Heralds but don't do anything.

Daemons call for reserves remaining Plaguebearers arrive, unit scatters and lands on one of my units, I place it in the top left corner of the Daemon side board, they will be miles out the way and furthest away from any of my stuff up there, which means I can target them with Fire Prisms later.

Shooting Daemons blast bolt of tzeentch at rear exposed Wave Serpent and pop it, lucky it was empty. Fire Dragons get blasted by the single Horror, the take 3 wounds and fail morale and leg it.

In assault the Plaguebearers charge and kill my 5 man Avenger unit - poo!

Kill points are now Eldar 5: Daemons 5

*Tactical Notes

I just cannot believe a T3 1 wound 4+ invulnerable model is taking so much punishment and surviving, it's really annoying, give me the fucking kill point you little bastard! lol. At least the Bird is dead and those Flesh Hounds!

If I can next turn I'll target those Plaguebearers and torrent them, I cannot let them assault and kill another unit. I'll blast that single Daemonette and Horror and start blasting those Heralds with what I can. I don't think I'll have enough guns to tackle those Flamers which are left.

Turn 5

Pyschic powers doom is cast on the Plaguerbearers and guide is cast on the last Avenger unit and Fire Dragons.

Movement I move the Dragons through terrain move the last mobile Dragons Serpent out of terrain ok to target what I can. Fire Prisms move and target Plaguebearers.

Shooting I blast the Plaguebearers with both Prisms, Fire Dragons, Jetbikes, Avengers and a single brightlance and wipe them out. I blast that annoying remaining Horror and kill it, finally! That's it for me.

Daemons last turn, Heralds charge towards Fire Prism and all Shuri Serpent and remaining Flamers get ready to blast the immobilised Serpent.

Flamers blast the Serpent and no luck. In assault both Heralds fail to wreck Serpent and Fire Prism, though Fire Prism does suffer weapon destroyed, but it still stands.

Roll to see if turn 6 happens, it doesn't. Game over.

Kill points are Eldar 7: Daemons 5 - win for Eldar!

Summary

Well that was a interesting battle! I cannot believe how much punishment that Lord of Change took, I didn't pop his clogs until turn 4, took me two turns of shooting and near enough all my army to do it. And that single Horror, just don't mention it!

A few mistakes from me. First was the psychic powers but capped that one. Next was not shooting at the Flamers soon, instead of firing at those Daemonettes and hoping for the easy kill I should have fired at the Flamers which would stop them hopefully tackling vehicles, those Avengers would have died anyway from Daemonettes, I guess I was just thinking what could have taken those Avengers out and I had cover from those Flamers due to the range, so would have been warpfire and not breath of chaos.

Not sure if Gaz made any mistakes TBH as I don't know Daemons that much and have never played them. he did suicide his Flesh Hounds, which didn't work, he said he forgot about the units in the transport. That single Horror which was my bane I would have run into a nearby ruin personally instead of leaving it out in the open to be shot at with minimal LOS blocking. Can't really comment on much else TBF!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
What hurt the daemon Player the most was his unlucky Mishaps, 2 units moved out of place, and 1 hard hittin unit destroyed. The Daemon Codex was and forever will be a weak Dex until GW makes it more 40K instead a Copy of Warhammer Fantasy in Space.

Well Played.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.