Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys do the pathfinders still shoot liek they used too... if u roll 5 or 6 its ap2 and if u roll a 4 its ap6? or did they change that? or am i just wrong lol? looking at this new codex and it seems to really suck so far..... only good upgrade i see if on the guardian rifles.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Don't think there are Pathfinders anymore ?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hey guys do the pathfinders still shoot liek they used too... if u roll 5 or 6 its ap2 and if u roll a 4 its ap6? or did they change that? or am i just wrong lol? looking at this new codex and it seems to really suck so far..... only good upgrade i see if on the guardian rifles.
No, if you pay the upgrade the unit simply gains Shrouded and Sharpshot (precision shots on their weapons).

Note that even Rangers don't have the AP1 on a 6 to hit rule anymore.

The codex is perfectly fine from a competitive standpoint, but I will concede that having half the aspect warriors suck is pretty lame.

Don't think there are Pathfinders anymore ?
You have to look really carefully; if you take Illic Nightspear, under his unit entry there is the option to upgrade any and all Ranger units in your army to Pathfinders at an obscenely high cost, if you take Illic in your army.

Yeah, they're pretty bad, but they at least have Stealth+Shrouded going for them, a 2+ cover save in area terrain or behind an aegis is... OK, I guess?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Note that even Rangers don't have the AP1 on a 6 to hit rule anymore.
They have Sniper weapons don't they ?
They will at least be AP2 on a 6

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeah, they're pretty bad, but they at least have Stealth+Shrouded going for them, a 2+ cover save in area terrain or behind an aegis is... OK, I guess?
Stealth + Shrouded + all the time precision shots = pretty damn good

·
Registered
146 Posts
cost of pathfinders

the option to upgrade any and all Ranger units in your army to Pathfinders at an obscenely high cost, if you take Illic in your army.

The cost is not that obscene for the Pathfinders themselves; it's 1 point per model different between the old codex and this one (group of 5 was 120, and now it's 125). The only real difference in their cost is that Pathfinders now have an "Illec tax"/prerequisite.

On the other hand, Rangers have gotten A LOT cheaper! (group of 5 was 95 and now it's only 60!)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
They have Sniper weapons don't they ?
They will at least be AP2 on a 6
Yeah, but they also had a rule that activated on the to-hit roll, AP1 on a 6 to hit from Rangers and on a 5+ to hit from Pathfinders. That's what they lost, and that's what the OP was talking about.

But yeah, they do rend.

Stealth + Shrouded + all the time precision shots = pretty damn good
25pts/model+Illic tax for a T3 unit= pretty damn awful. I don't care how many 2+ cover saves you have when I can easily torrent them down (because T3 is a league of difference from T4). Precision shots are nice, but not worth that price tag.

Not to mention codices these days have ignores cover in abundance; Heldrakes, the whole fucking Tau army, Wave Serpent, potentially anything with Divination powers...

The cost is not that obscene for the Pathfinders themselves; it's 1 point per model different between the old codex and this one (group of 5 was 120, and now it's 125). The only real difference in their cost is that Pathfinders now have an "Illec tax"/prerequisite.
24pts in the old book was obscene as well. Just because it used to be horrendously overcosted and it is now only slightly more obscenely overcosted is not a redeeming value.

On the other hand, Rangers have gotten A LOT cheaper! (group of 5 was 95 and now it's only 60!)
Definitely, new unupgraded Rangers are pretty sweet in a hybrid Eldar army.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Vanilla Rangers are quite the bargain. Upgraded ones.... I spent about 5 minutes staring at the rules/benefits those extra 13pts got me. Dead zone.

·
Registered
207 Posts
yep its almost just like they don't want you to buy their new model and IC as he's so overpriced and sacrifices a HQ slot that you can use a lot better. oh and then makes troops more expensive than half the elites and fast attack..... Who in GW came up with that plan...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts