Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Great post! As always, I enjoy reading your experiences and reviews on Eldar, as they are my # 1 Army!

However, it would be nice to see a little more info put into some of the units that you "just don't take" or "must be put on jetbikes," as I find your input valuable. I know that most people tend to justify not taking unit A, because unit B is just better, but I think that there is a place for each unit in the Dex, you just have to have a plan for them! Also, some gamers just don't have the option to take all the "best" units as they might only own say (scorpions, or foot slogging warlocks) and would like to know the best way to use them.

From my experience I can add a little to some of the lesser powered units and give a few tips I learned over the past few years.

Howling Banshees
As with 90% of close combat units these days, it's just hard to get them into the fight... so don't get them to the fight... let the fight come to them. If you use them as a backfield defensive unit they can be very useful. Someone is defiantly going to DS or outflank or end up in your face by turn 2 or 3 almost every game, so having a good CC unit back there can help. AP3 attacks, going first, helps win a lot of combats, or at the very least weaken the other unit. Now, put them right by a unit of guardians/rangers/DA that you have guarding your objective and you have some very good CC support for them for less than 120 points (with exarch)! Just keep the unit small, people aren't threated by them, so they will be left alone and able to support the back field. Hey, maybe when the time comes for the enemy to assault your soft guardians off an objective, they might think twice with these chicks behind them.

Striking Scorpions
Can be used as above as well. Still almost impossible to get them into combat, but you should outflank or infiltrate these anyway. This is to get them close to the enemy and distract/cut off their fast moving CC units that are coming for you, or attack the enemies rear objective holders. The problem is they show-up get shot at for a turn... then maybe do something, but they are still distracting so use them with this in mind, points aren't always made up in kills. You basically have to take 10 of them with an Exarch/Claw though, this is to ensure that they stick around after they show up long enough to have an impact, their +3sv should never been under estimated. If you use your other units well, the enemy might not be able to focus much attention on them as your more dangerous units should draw more Aggro. Also, you would be surprised how often you can infiltrate a unit out of sight (hidden in a ruin during deployment) and ignore them completely all game until the enemy forgets their there then hop out to surprise attack, you'll probable even hear "oh shit, I forgot about those guys" a lot, lol.

Falcon
Still a good choice, why? Because, lol. Don't forget it is a Heavy Unit and it can transport other units! However, it's better to not buy it with that in mind, because WS are better, but having a skimmer around that a unit can hop in when shit gets rough, helps. Mobility is key with Eldar and this is a Heavy Unit that helps that, not only for itself, but also for that beat up unit that needs to get out of dodge. What makes this Skimmer good is the load-out (Scatter Laser, Cannon upgrade and Pulse laser). The twin-linked pulse laser is very good and adding up all the shooting capability (+ bladestorm & laserlock rules) of this tank, it puts on just as much of a hurt as a Fire Prism IMO. This Skimmer is good at busting other AV10 to 12 vehicles, and also hurts +2 armour, so use it this way. When combing its shooting, mobility, and transport capability this skimmer has worked well for me. The WS energy shield don't always land on 4+, but the Falcon with this load out will always have 7 S6 and 2 S8 shots, and will help your opponent from crying WS spam... and help you from taking WS spam (sort of)!

Warlock (on foot)
Do not take these as Fraseer Body guards(unless on jet bikes). Instead take them as a Counsel (only the amount of them you can assign to other units), then roll for their powers and distribute them into squads as you see fit. So if you have 2 guardians squads, then only take 2 in the counsel to distribute. Do not think about what these can do on their own, but only think about what they can do to help the units they are in. Going back, a unit of guardians on an objective with a warlock and a group of Banshees behind it... looking stronger now as a back field defense! Also, extra dice in the Warp Charge pool.. POTW suck, but shit happens when you roll dice lol.

Few other Notes on Eldar
* Foot slogging Farseers work well in your DP zone by buffing/nerfing to help the other units back there to defend and attack from afar. However, putting them in WS with say DA is nice, but basically voids all PP abilities until they step out on turn 2 or 3 at the earliest, so they may not be the best HQ for the job is this is your plan.

* CC units kicks our shooting infantry's ass, and kicks our Skimmer's ass, and kicks our Walker's ass. These are our power units that we need to not get caught in combat. It's easy to say that we are fast and WS are awesome, but a CC unit will still catch us and a unit of 5 SM can pwn our WS. At the very least, CC units will force us to move our Skimmers flatout (and not shoot) to avoid an assult and that hurts just as much as losing the skimmer, seeing as we tend to rely on WS to laydown most our heavy firepower these days. What I am saying, is that in 7th (6th too) shooting is all the rage and most shooting units can't CC, therefore CC units mess shooting unit's shit up... so, Elder needs to combat this by some of our own CC units as well. It is a mistake to not take any CC units, even if they are not the best (SS or HB) because at the very least they will meet the opponent in CC anyway and tie them up, weaken them, maybe destroy them, to free up our shooting longer. Think on your losses, mine have been due to my shooting focused army getting caught in CC, but these days I now take my own CC units to cancel-out/delay that from happening.

* It's been said before, Eldar is all about synergy and support. No one Eldar unit alone is going to be unstoppable (even spamming them), but a few units combined can be great. I.E. 10 warp spiders vs 5 warp spider & 5 Scorpions. No matter how fast the 10 spiders are they will be caught in CC, they DS in (taking into account scatter and a 12" range weapon, even after a shoot-run) will still be within CC range of the enemy unit they are attacking, especially a fast one, and despite hit and run, a round of shooting and assaulting will fuck-em up big time. Now a unit of 5 scorpions outflanking in along with the 5 spiders DS by them to take on the same unit - different story... Spiders shoot (hell even the scorpions have pistols) then jump behind the scorpions, now when enemy unit comes in for CC the scorpions are there to even the odds, giving the spiders a chance to live and use their speed on the next turn, if you lose the SS then you lose them, but you WS (the better unit) is still alive to fight more than one turn. Now an Aurtarh will help your chances of bring these two units in from reserve at the same time to pull this off... synergy and support, it's a better (take all comers) list... more fun as well!

* We have tones of S6 shooting, so don't forget the S8+ shooting, rolling 6s on AV12 all game takes too long and draws too much fire.

Anyway, thought I'd add a little, I like to hear you views on the positives of the units you have wrote off!

Thanks,

Troy Buckle

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey again
Thanks for your reply. Makes sense now when your explain that you writing this for people to win! I understand what you mean about movement and target priority and avoiding combat with our Skimmers and other Shooting units, but in my experience (50% of games on 4x4' and the other 50% on 4x6') I tend to get caught in CC a lot and have my shooty stuff bogged down, and have found that a few CC units supporting these units helped me a lot, just a thought!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts