Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have missed something pretty fundamental here, if I have I will happily wear the 'tard cap for a day or two!
The Eldar Gods were Warp entities, in much the same way as the Chaos Powers. I assume (and this is where it could go horribly wrong!) that they fed off of worship and the specific parts of the Eldar psyche that they represented, again, in much the same way as the Chaos Gods.
How is it possible that they are now dead?
Did those parts of the Eldar personality die with the Gods that represented them? Or was it due to the Eldar being wiped out and there just being not enough Eldar to maintain their presence in the Warp?

·
Registered
488 Posts
They weren't really the same thing, as I understand it. They had actual physical manifestations, and they were bound by the natural passage of time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, there is the pervasive rumour that the eldar gods were actually the last few Old Ones... But Ynnead proves that the eldar can create gods other than She Who Thirsts.

It's heavily implied that most of the gods were killed off fighting the C'tan and/or eaten by Slaanesh. The only exception are Khaine, who now lives in fragments, Cegorach (the harlequin god, lives in the webway and protects their souls from Slaanesh) and Isha, who apparently is now in the... ah, tender embrace of Nurgle.

If they were Old Ones, they've mostly died at the hands of the C'tan or indeed the forces of chaos.

If truly warp-entities, the idea of Slaanesh consuming them makes a fair bit of sense - it killed 99% of the eldar population when it was born in one mass feeding frenzy. In a horrible way, Slaanesh became the one true eldar god and it stands to reason the smaller gods like Asuryan and Kurnous were swallowed up into Slaanesh as well.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
The Eldar worship the Chaos Gods, they just have other names for them and worship specific aspects. For example, a god of war and blood... Beginning with the letter 'K'... Any guesses?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Khain and khorne are two different gods. They worshiped khain but killing always helps khorne.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The eldar do not worship khaine. Only the exarchs do. The rest of the eldar are in a different personality when in war as part of their war mask.

I like the daemons book in the quote where the guy explains how all the chaos gods in some way worship tzeentch.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The eldar gods definitely had limitations that the chaos gods, and even daemons, don't, and in that respect they're similar to Gork and Mork

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
If I took the eldar gods and disregarded the fact that they could be old ones, I think that it would make sense, that the older gods were over taken or absorbed by the newer gods. Since the warp is ever changing, it makes sense that gods would also change. Perhaps the four powers will be destroyed as well, with a creation of a new or newer god/s that are currently being created.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Sad that he wasn't.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Khain and khorne are two different gods. They worshiped khain but killing always helps khorne.
Khaine is just an apect of Khorne, in the same way as different aspects of the Emperor are worshipped within the Imperium. The Eldar are really dumb when it comes to gods, they even worship the Deceiver!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
? No.... no. They don't worship Khorne, he was around after khaine. Also, they fought the Necrontyr, they didn't worship them.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Khaine is just an apect of Khorne, in the same way as different aspects of the Emperor are worshipped within the Imperium. The Eldar are really dumb when it comes to gods, they even worship the Deceiver!
Please support your statement that any Eldar god (Cegorach, the Deceiver's main enemy among the Eldar, who is older than the C'tan, seeming to be the main candidate) is the Deceiver with evidence.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Well, if he doesn't I know where this theory is going. Lol

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Cegorach is not the Deceiver. :no:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Please support your statement that any Eldar god (Cegorach, the Deceiver's main enemy among the Eldar, who is older than the C'tan, seeming to be the main candidate) is the Deceiver with evidence.
Actually the C'tan are older than any of the Warp Gods by at least a couple of billion years- they're the first life forms after all.

Though as CotE always says, in the the Warp time has no meaning- everything does and doesn't exist forever and never (nonsensical sounding I know).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Khaine was able to survive because his essence is shattered and physically shackled into the various Avatars. Cegorach was skillful and clever enough to hide in the webway - if he ever leaves, I think She Who Thirsts will be playing him a visit... Isha was taken into Nurgle - I think this symbolises the loss of hope and the general despair the Fall caused. The other gods, perhaps, made a stand. Fought Slaanesh for the eldar and were consumed.

Khaine is not Khorne. There is confusion because in the Fantasy universe Khaine is essentially another aspect of Khorne, but as has been said, in the WH40K continuity Khaine is a seperate entity who was around first.

Equally, Cegorach is not the Deceiver, despite the obvious parallels. For a start, he actually cares for his charges - the harlequins wear no soul-stone because he's protecting their souls from Slaanesh. Except the awesomeness that is Solitaires, but even then he'll sometimes rescue their souls. This doesn't fit the Deceiver's MO because, well, he's pretty evil (and is perhaps the only C'tan to know such a label can be used, as his mindset is less alien), and also because the C'tan don't care for the warp, souls, daemons, etc. Their concerns are entirely with the material unvierse; hell, they want to cut off the warp forever.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Actually the C'tan are older than any of the Warp Gods by at least a couple of billion years- they're the first life forms after all.

Though as CotE always says, in the the Warp time has no meaning- everything does and doesn't exist forever and never (nonsensical sounding I know).
That old chestnut is getting old, CotE. :p

Eremite has the right idea. However, to clarify two points Khaine was never affiliated with Khorne in 40k to my knowledge. At least not in current canon anyway. When Slaanesh vanquished Khaine he was driven from the warp and banished to the materium forever. Khorne tried to wrest possession of the eldar god from Slaanesh, probably seeing the former war god as a trophy he was entitled to. Keep in mind that though the gods may be the same in both systems, the story differs on a number of points. Thus Khorne/Khaine being one entity in WHFB does not mean anything in 40k. :thank_you: Eremite.

Cegorach and Deceiver... :ireful2: (settle down serp... settle down)

The Deceiver existed long before the eldar. His servants were the necrontyr.

Cegorach was an eldar god. He is known to dwell in the warp. He interacts with the other eldar gods. In a realm that is anathema to the c`tan.

The c`tan go into stasis, including the Deceiver. But the harlequins continue to worship the Laughing God. He still exists in the eldar pantheon. The Deceiver is sleeping!

The rise of Slaanesh. The eldar gods are killed or captured or banished. Cegorach escapes Slaanesh`s grasp and flees to the webway. The Deceiver is still dormant at this point!

So, how can they be the same entity? How?!:headbutt:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts