Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just joined the community the other day, and have been collecting my Eldar army for about seven or eight months so far. I've played three games, one against Tau, one against Tau and Orks, and another against some Fallen Dark Angels. I won the first and third, but not the second.

-HQ-
Farseer with Singin Spear, Doom, Guide, Eldricth Storm.
Warlock Council to hang around the Farseer

-Troops-

3 10 man squads of Guardians
2 Squad uses a Shuriken Cannon
1 Squad used an Eldar missle Launcher

-Elites-
1 Squad Fired Dragons, with Exarch, Tank Hunters

2 Squads Howling Banshees (Tau Opponent hates these, for his army is mostly infantry) with Exarch ( on both) and one uses the Executioner with Banshee Mask, and the other has mirror swords with Athletics.

-Fast Attack-
2 Squads War Spiders, Both Exarchs have Deathspinners and Powerblades, along with Suprise Assualt.

- Heavy Support-
1 Wraithlord using sword, brightlance, and two shuriken catapaults.
1 Squad of Dark Reapers, Exarch, with Tempest Launcher and Fast shot.

When I moved to Idaho Falls, I left my Eldar and Black Templar army behind in New Mexico. So I cannot remeber the exact pointage of this army.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
First of all welcome to heresy!

I would start improvements by having flamers in place of shurikan catapults on wraithlord. Secondly drop the surprise assault on warp spiders since it is now pointless. The singing spear should be dropped. This is because I doubt the seer on foot will reach that close to enemy Armour. unless he is stupid. I would also consider dropping eldritch storm Guardians are too frail as troops. They could be improved by having more members or by having pathfinders/foot avengers instead.

Secondly I salute your initiative to starting a foot eldar. Too many people (excluding myself) play eldar loaded with wave serpents backed by eldrad. Since you have neither i like you more.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Alrighty!

1. You are Foot Sloggin' it!
2. You mostly seem to play Tau and Orks.
3. You may benefit more from Striking Scorpions. That 3+ armor will really help you stay intact to get them into combat. They will also do just as well against Tau, and better vs. Orks.

One thing I want to say is that you will probably be better off with Crack Shot with a Tempest Launcher. Crack Shot is cheaper (i think), nets the same amount of base wounds statistically, and will allow you to be more accurate while ignoring cover (you don't have to fire Barrage). You lose the Pinning from Barrage, but gain more kills in return.

I do agree about wanting Flamers on the Wraithlords and not wanting Surprise Assault on the Spiders most likely. Withdraw is a much better ability for those Spiders in case they get stuck in CC. They would much rather be shooting, so in the best case scenario you won't even want those Powerblades.

Also, the Farseer need Spirit Stones to cast more than 1 power a turn...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your respones and advice.
I only have two things to say in turn. My guardians absorb the fire of those Tau pretty well, letting the Banshee's get in to CC with them. The other thing is our board is only 4 feet wide, and 5 feet across. With almost no terrain, save for a river, a bunker, and the Orks two vehicles. But I will add and remove, and see if it makes my coming battles easier.

And as for your Number 2, Stryo-J, my good friend and rival from New Mexico, uses Tau and is the only person I can meet with to play big points battles. The Orks join in on occasion, since theres only 500 points worth, and I can match that with my guardsmen. And Creed.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Ah, I meant that to be a build up type thing. I meant that 1 and 2 brought me to 3 as a conclusion, not that they were necessarily points respectively. If Tau is your primary opponent then I stand by Scorpions as a good choice. Banshees still rock though.

Using your small extremely fragile Troops as meat shields sounds kind of iffy though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I see that now. I've been thinking about adding more units, and Striking Scorpions are at the top of my list. And althought my Guardians are meat shields, they still shoot, and I still have them use cover.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Tau have 4+ saves (well not kroot... but kroot suck so meh XD) in my honist opinion S3 that ignores armor (Tau troops are T3) is going to help you more then S4 and not ignoring armor saves, a Tau still has a 50% chance to live the attack

against orcs Scorps are going to be better because they only have 6+ so you will be wanting that +1 Strength so you wound on 4's not 5's

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've played a lot of footslogging Eldar, and I really can't recommend the Avatar highly enough. As he turns everything within 12" of him fearless, it really boosts your infantry. Having to kill every single model in a unit is a lot harder than killing more than half, and having them fail a morale check.

Also, Styro-J has a point regarding crack shot, rerolling to wound and ignoring all cover is a lot better than an extra shot with the tempest launcher.

However, I'm under the impression that as it is a G36 weapon, you always have to use the multiple barrage rules, even if you have vision to your target? Or am I wrong here? Multiple barrage means that you can't use the Exarch's BS5 nearly as well as if you can place each template individually.

EDIT: An avatar, fortuned up, and running towards the enemy will also soak up _a lot_ of enemy fire. More often than not, mine reaches the enemy lines by T3, having lost 1-2 wounds. You'll move an average of 19 inches in 2 turns if you run, which usually puts you in a good position.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Tau have 4+ saves (well not kroot... but kroot suck so meh XD) in my honist opinion S3 that ignores armor (Tau troops are T3) is going to help you more then S4 and not ignoring armor saves, a Tau still has a 50% chance to live the attack
It is true that 10 Scorps will average about 8-9 kills in CC vs. Tau while 10 Banshees will likely kill 10. The benefit to Scorps is really the 3+ save, being able to live longer is the greater boon here as Tau will fold in combat either way. Odds are both units will win combat and run the enemy unit through, but that will leave you open to being shot again.

However, I'm under the impression that as it is a G36 weapon, you always have to use the multiple barrage rules, even if you have vision to your target? Or am I wrong here? Multiple barrage means that you can't use the Exarch's BS5 nearly as well as if you can place each template individually.
Yeah, being Barrage is a bit of a stickler... But that just means you really want that first shot to be on target. If you scatter too far out then no templates will likely hit. Just remember to call out those Pinning checks!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
It is better to use scorps. True they will likely kill less but in your hypothetical scenario it is likely the banshees would get shot to pieces whilst the scorps stay in combat, finish off tau in tau players turn and then assault new target.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I only have $55 so I have to choose one or the other. The one thing I dislike about Warhammer 40k....Metal Figures and their bases. Nothing has ever made me angrier then getting the metal figures on the bases. But I think I might go with Avatar, it fits my Malan'tai Survivors Strike Force better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts