Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm really interested in having a small Eldar force as my third army and I wanted to start small at about 500 points. I'm also not a big fan of meching up so I wanted to field a footslogging force that would eventually include Eldrad, Wraithlords and the Avatar. So with that in mind, how would you all field an escalation list going from 500 -> 750 -> 1000 points? I've read some of the guides here on Heresy as well and I'm still kind of lost as to what is effective in this type of list. Help please! :grin:

From the brief stuff I've read it looks like a footslogging force would include Eldrad, Avatar, masses of Dire Avengers, maybe Rangers, Wraithlords and I really want to include Harlequins because the models are sweet!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Defo get Harlies they are awsomeness, and can provide your Rangers/pathfinders with cover, whilst being protected by the Veil of Tears. Striking Scorpians is also another good choice for footdar armies, with the ability to infiltrate you can really put the enemy on the back foot, you will need to take more than 1 squad however. Pack your army out with wraithlords and give them all Missle Launcher + Scatter Laser combos, this way they are a jack of all trades.

I think Eldar on foot will be a very hard army to play s you will need to practice with it and change alot until your satisfied with the way you play. Although Eldar on foot dont tend to survive much, with the right build you can pull off a few nasty tricks to really get your opponant thinking.

Hope this helps.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking for the elite slot I could put in one full squad of harlies and then fill the other two out with fire dragons in wave serpents and leave them in reserve so that they aren't shot up the very first turn. The only thing I'm concerned with is taking down AV 14 because two (maybe 3) of the about seven players in my gaming group field land raiders on occasion.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, at small points unmech'd eldar can almost work, but as an aging codex that has to work really, really hard to keep up, I'd highly recommend biting the bullet and giving mech a try if you can at all stand the thought. Eldar's mobility is their one real remaining strength.

Without transports/vehicles the best units in the eldar dex are largely ruled out.

You might try running a bikes list. At low point values EJB are mobile enough to work out, and if you care to convert things yourself or buy 3rd party conversion bitz packs you can get a jetseer council running. Just be aware that in small games you'll run out of points quickly and won't have a list that's really describable as balanced. Warlocks on bikes can be a ton of fun, however, as long as you don't mind people complaining until the league reaches a high enough point value for people who haven't tailored their list to beat yours (mostly in the form of psyker defenses) to be able to handle you and/or the game being won or lost based on a series of very minor decisions on your part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could still do an Eldar Foot slogging list but as most people are telling you, It's not the most competitive list out there. However In small point games with friends I've been know to bust out an Ulthwe themed foot slogging list and it can be a lot of fun.

You could also go the "wraith wall" route but as the enemies codices get newer It keeps getting less and less viable. On top of that the one unit of 10 Wraithguard would run you over $150 alone.. for a now sub par troops choice it just really isn't worth it anymore in most peoples opinions.

Looking at your posts it seems you have a good idea on what you want for your HQ's, Heavy Support, and Elites. So now you really just need to decide on what troops choices you need. Maybe a big block 20 guardians with a conceal warlock that stays next to your Avatar to give them Fearless? Or maybe you'd want to grab a squad of Ranger/Pathfinders to hold a back objective? You could also look into the Power Weapon/Shimmer shield + Defend Dire Avenger combo as a Tar pit scoring unit. with all those MC's and the Harlies nearby the DA's could tie up a unit until help arrives to bail them out?

Whatever you decide just keep in mind that running Eldar this way isn't for the Tournament scene but you can still have fun with these lists!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts