Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing the BL site, and came across the cover art for Deathwolf. I'd never really paid it much attention, but now that I have I find the fact that the DE is barely half the height of the SW somewhat jarring. I'd always believed that the average Eldar is much taller than the average human. Maybe not as tall as a SM, but certainly not as short as depicted. I'd put it down to artistic licence, but the covers are usually pretty spot on. Am I right in thinking he should be taller?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Yeah, scale seems a bit funky, but we can chock that up to artistic license. I mean, the marines are taller by a decent margin, but then again that marine looks like 5 feet wide, so its off, yeah.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Considering Eldar are only a few inches talerr than your average human, and that Astartes are "Meters" above your avergae human, this picture seems to be quite accurate. I may not mkae the Axe look for damn frigg'in big but hey.....imaginarion is a finnicky thing.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Meters? Where are you getting this?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Meters?

That's not right.

Humans are generally said to come to a Marine's chest, and marines are most often quoted at the 7/8 foot or 2 metre mark.

Eldar however are described as being far taller than a human, impossibly tall and slender. Sometimes as tall, sometimes taller than human.

I'd chalk this down to artistic license. The Marine simply looks out of proportion of his own body. Also note that the Eldar is crouched over and on a slope.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Eldar aren't just a 'little' taller than humans, they're much taller on average- the scale on that cover is wrong unless, as the OP suggested in his title, it's a midget Eldar.

Some Eldar, not all but a healthy enough percentage so it's not a rare thing, are of a similar height to your average Adeptus Astartes (around the 2.2m+ scope). Just with absolutely none of the bulk of a Space Marine, similar to a ballerina stood next to the burliest NFL player you've ever damn well seen.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Imagine my disappointment when I came here hoping for space dwemer and instead found a terrible example of 'Spaz murenz r gr8', in picture form.

Like others said most eldar are close to SM height.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Considering Eldar are only a few inches talerr than your average human, and that Astartes are "Meters" above your avergae human, this picture seems to be quite accurate.
Beg pardon.....?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Looking at the picture more, the DE's back leg goes behind and downhill in the illustration, so I think the perspective shapes a lot of the impression.

On a related note, Astares armor is very powerful and bulky, but any estimates on how thick the boot foot pads are... would they add 4" or another 6" to the SMs height?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
As others have noted, the Dark Eldar's back leg is on a slope and the front leg is bent at a 90 degree angle--look, his knee is level with his hip.

If everyone straightens up, I think the DE would be about to the chest of the Space Marine (who is also crouching, too).

I think the Eldar is still a BIT short, but no where as crazy as the picture implies at first glance.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
That DE is leaping actually and that SM is crouching, his right leg is bent so that his thigh is horizontal. Not sure if that might change anybodies view point. Personally I view it the same as every other cover that is done in this style: complete shite really.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
You can't take one isolated illustration as the definitive source of information, especially where scale is concerned. Every author perceives the setting differently, and the scale of Space Marines and Eldar hasn't been portrayed consistently anyway.

Everything else aside, I like the image. :)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The one thing I don't like about the cover is the Space Marine's armor.

I'm all for artificer armor making a Space Marine's armor more intricate or beautiful...but this one just looks messy and busy.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
These portraits are created by remembrancers, thus they will always vary from remembrancer to remembrancer. Furthermore each remembrancer has their own perception of the event that they are recording, thus each work of art will vary in its appearance due to expressing different themes.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Why thank you for explaining how artwork works when drawn by different artists. In other news water is wet.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Why thank you for explaining how artwork works when drawn by different artists. In other news water is wet.
Except when frozen....? :laugh:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
These portraits are created by remembrancers, thus they will always vary from remembrancer to remembrancer. Furthermore each remembrancer has their own perception of the event that they are recording, thus each work of art will vary in its appearance due to expressing different themes.
Lux did you stop taking your pills because your mixing up reality with non-reality, again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's how every Sm should be. Bulky walking tank. Even if Eldar come close to Astartes' height, it doesnt changes the fact they are all space pussies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts