Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a scenario:

I have a Spiritseer with, amongst other things, the Protect/Jinx power. She's in a squad of Howling Banshees.
Right in front of me is a squad of Terminators with a Heavy Flamer, who I'd rather like to make go away.
Now, if I Jinx the Terminators, they go down to a 3+ save, making them meat for my Banshees. But that means I eat the AP4 Wall of Death from the flamer. No problem, I have Protect, allowing me to buff my Banshees to 3+ saves. Right?

Maybe.

The thing is, Protect/Jinx is presented as a single power. You can't use the same power more than once in a turn. OTOH, they're two completely different abilities. P.70 of the Eldar book is infuriatingly vague about whether or not they're actually counted as entirely different powers.

Any thoughts? Precedents, or ways to sidestep the problem? Or are my Spiritseer and Exarch just going to have to tank that flamer?

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's a tricky one. They are technically different powers but they're presented on the same card. I would say yes to being able to cast one of each but it depends on your gaming group and whether or not they'd think it OP. It's going to be ambiguous until GW FAQ it, if they ever do

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a tricky one. They are technically different powers but they're presented on the same card. I would say yes to being able to cast one of each but it depends on your gaming group and whether or not they'd think it OP. It's going to be ambiguous until GW FAQ it, if they ever do
I'm actually leaning the other way at the moment. The idea seems to be that each power (eg Protect/ Jinx) has two 'modes' when used. The best parallel I can come up with is a weapon like a missile launcher, with Frag and Krak- if it's on a dread or wraithlord, you can't fire a Krak missile from it as one weapon, and a Frag from it as another. But I'm quite happy to hear thoughts to the contrary :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
god that's vague. On one hand, the codex says that the psyker "will have access to not one, but two separate abilities." The phrase separate abilities lends itself to the interpretation that you can cast protect and jinx in the same round.This interpretation makes the power similar to upgrading a dire avenger exarch to power weapon and shimmershield. You get them in a package deal and can't have one without the other, but they're still two distinctly separate things that don't impede each other at all.

However, you must "chose which ability the psyker is attempting to use before making the psychic test." The wording here, in conjunction with the fact that the dual powers each share a slot suggests that casting the powers is a one or the other deal, analogous to the different modes of fire on a missile launcher or the different fire prism firing modes.

Personally, i'd be tempted to say that you could cast both jinx and protect in the same round with your spiritseer because I feel that the phrase "separate powers" outweighs the other arguments (by the slimmest of margins though).

Most important thing to do is talk to your opponent before the game and reach a mutual agreement before anything else.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Deleted because of double post

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
One power that has two different effects depending on whom you cast it on.
Not sure? Think about it as it applies to a ML 1 Psyker, if it were two powers they wouldn't be able to have it in the first place.

The rule says quite clearly that "When using ONE of these psychic powers .... choose which ability ..."
In the absence of anything that says "each component of this power may be cast once per turn, providing the psyker has sufficient warp charge" then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

ahhhhh Eldar Toasties ! my favourite ! :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts