Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to have some confirmation if the reasoning below is correct.

This is a Formation that when taken gives re-roll Ld-tests and +1 WS or BS. Now I first thought that formations only where taken in an detatchment as our Craftworld Warhost. But I have seen in one BatRep and also read in a tactica on another site that even if I take Three aspect squads in a standard CAD I can still use the rules for this formation? I have read our codex but I don't see how it lets me use it in this way?

Is this correct or must formation be part of a Detatchment? Could you build a detachment from formations that still fits within the rules for CAD and gain the pros from both?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Wrong.

Formations are STAND ALONE from anything else.

A CAD, or Combined Arms Detachment is a specific Force Organization Chart consisting of 1 HQ, 2-6 Troops, 0-3 Elite/FA/Heavy.

An Aspect Host Formation Detachment is a specific Force Organization Chart consisting of 3 of 'Insert Aspect Host squads here'.

You can not have a squad of Dark Reapers count as a Heavy Support for the CAD and count as a squad in the Aspect Host.

The ONLY exception to this is the Craftworld Warhost, and that is because it is a specific Force Organization Chart made up not of Elites/HQ/etc, but instead made up of specific Formation Detachments.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I hope to have some confirmation if the reasoning below is correct.

This is a Formation that when taken gives re-roll Ld-tests and +1 WS or BS. Now I first thought that formations only where taken in an detatchment as our Craftworld Warhost. But I have seen in one BatRep and also read in a tactica on another site that even if I take Three aspect squads in a standard CAD I can still use the rules for this formation? I have read our codex but I don't see how it lets me use it in this way?

Is this correct or must formation be part of a Detatchment? Could you build a detachment from formations that still fits within the rules for CAD and gain the pros from both?

Thanks in advance!
The Only way I know of achieving this would be to have a CAD as my main Detachment & then have an allied detachment using the formation but different aspect squads plus I think at least 1 hq

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong.

Formations are STAND ALONE from anything else.

A CAD, or Combined Arms Detachment is a specific Force Organization Chart consisting of 1 HQ, 2-6 Troops, 0-3 Elite/FA/Heavy.

An Aspect Host Formation Detachment is a specific Force Organization Chart consisting of 3 of 'Insert Aspect Host squads here'.

You can not have a squad of Dark Reapers count as a Heavy Support for the CAD and count as a squad in the Aspect Host.

The ONLY exception to this is the Craftworld Warhost, and that is because it is a specific Force Organization Chart made up not of Elites/HQ/etc, but instead made up of specific Formation Detachments.
The Only way I know of achieving this would be to have a CAD as my main Detachment & then have an allied detachment using the formation but different aspect squads plus I think at least 1 hq
Tanks guys!
I learnt that you can lift the aspect squads out of the CAD and have them as a Stand Alone Formation. Like Xabre uses his Shining Spears in his Siem Hann list. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Tanks guys!
I learnt that you can lift the aspect squads out of the CAD and have them as a Stand Alone Formation. Like Xabre uses his Shining Spears in his Siem Hann list. Thanks!
Absolutely correct! Glad you saw my lists.

Each Formation is completely separate, so yes, you can have an Aspect Host formation (or a Dire Shrine Formation) that has nothing to do with your CAD.

A common thing to do is run an Aspect Host with lots of Fire Dragons, and then drop them into a Dark Eldar list running lots of Raiders. As a for instance.

There's also nothing stopping ANY ARMY from running Crimson Death as a great anti-air addition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts