Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help guys, looking for an army list at 1500 points that would be effective against the unrelenting horde that is necrons.

I'm sure my opponent will take two monoliths, a deceiver, some scarabs, warriors, destroyer lord, heavy destroyer and 3 normal destroyers.

Any suggestions at a list to counter this and tactics please?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
go for warriors then destroyers completely ignore everything that doesnt have necron rule also keep everything with low leadership away from deceiver in transports and no where near your table edge

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Tactics? Easy, kill the Warriors. Phase Out! Done! I mean if that is seriously what he is taking then over half his points are going into 3 models. A few more points are going into non-Necron units. Which means your 1500 point army will only have to kill about 450-500 points of his army to win. Just go after the Necron models out there, so Warriors, Destroyers (each type), and Lords, wipe out 75% of those (after WBB) and you win!

This is fairly easily done with Banshees (if you Doom the target unit and avoid the Deceiver), Fire Prisms (Double up to instant kill Lord and Destroyers, also take Holo Fields as the majority out there can only glance you and that will be a joke against 2d6 take the lowest), Wave Serpents (again hard for them to kill, good to get assault units in position), Farseer (to Doom what needs Doomin').

Dire Avengers work well for forcing wounds, doubly so with a Doom/Guide Bladestorm.

Any of your assault units should cut through a Warrior unit in a round of assault.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would run a group of Banshees with Jain Zar, and 2 fire prisms. Dark Reapers in a group of 5. The range and shots should wipe out a lot. If you focus on one unit at a time you should phase him about turn 3.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's a quick draft of what id do... something along the lines of anyway;

Farseer 80 Doom
10x Banshee 192 Exarch + Executioner + Shout + Acro
Wave Serpent 110 TL Cannon + Stones

Eldrad 210
Dire Avenger 152 x10 + Exarch + Bladestorm + Shuriken Catapult x2

Dire Avenger 152 x10 + Exarch + Bladestorm + Shuriken Catapult x2

Fire Prism 115
Fire Prism 115
War Walker x2 120 Scatter Laser x4

this is only something i have just thrown together so there will be alot of improvements that people can suggest, but i think it gives you a fairly good starting list to aim for

as a general guide line; id use the walkers/prisms on the destroyers/lord to start and get them out the way early. and travel full speed with all 3 serpents towards his warriors (making sure you stear clear of his deceiver)

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would aim for the destroyers first, only 3, that is asking for trouble for him, wipe them out quick, try getting them with a template or two, get them all at once if possible and then they can't stand back up. Now time for the warriors, again, as people say, focus all your shooting on these, do one squad at a time if they are far apart.

If he is smart he will have each squad within 6 inches of the lord.

Avoid the deciever like the plague with low ld models. No doubt he will be using his scarabs as a tar pit unit, has his lord got a destroyer body?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Change of plan,

think he is maybe gonna either run one monolith or no monolith and add in a unit or two of immortals.

Oh and now the game is 1750 points.

Any advice guys?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd honestly follow the advice that was given.

Aiming for those warriors and what is necron to get him to phase out is key here. Enjoy that "Phase out" while you can though since I hear that soon, they'll probably remove phase out from Necrons w/e they get into their next codex :p

Also, if the Deceiver is going to be a problem, maybe a squad of Pathfinders will help to take him down.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My local Necron player doesn't field C'tan, so bear with me, but could you tarpit the deceiver with a 20 strong guardian unit? Or bog it down with a wraithlord? Again, I'm not terribly familiar with the deceiver, so I don't know what strength or how many attacks it has. If these don't work, you could always brightlance the crap out of it, lets face it, shooting the monolith is really just wasting shots. Phase out is awesome, especially when they waste points on non-necron units.

Does he take that freaking res-orb?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts