Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi. im thinking about starting an eldar army, but i have no idea what to do. should i get strong models or should i model them? plz help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you want an army purely for the gaming aspect, that is an army that is cheesy as all hell, then go for the three falcons/falcon-2 fire prisms. I like the three tooled up falcons carrying 2 units of 6 fire dragons and 1 unit of 6 harlequins. Then build the rest of your list around that base. I like the bike mounted autarch with mandiblasters, and all the other stuff that you want to give him. In a fast army like this, guardian jetbikes and vipers are good options.

Its completely different if you want to have a fluffy army. If you want a fluffy army that is fluffy, research the different craftworlds. Find a craftworld you like and build an army that uses units that the craftworld is known for. Your army probably won't be as good as the army listed above, but your list will be more unique and meaningful to you. Also, people won't get angry at you for your army composition.:biggrin:

PS, if you go for the cheesy army, remember that GW will be releasing a new rulebook that will, in all likelyhood, significantly weaken falcons and fire prisms.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've played that type of list, and handed those skimmers to him. I love how whenever you see a internet cheese list at an actual tournament it never makes the top 4 armies.

Never underestimate what 20 cheap guardians, and a Farseer can do. 40 shots with re-rolls to hit, and wound including a heavy weapon is nasty.
Averages 30 hits, 23 wounds. Their range looks sucky on paper a mere 12" however with a move + fleet they're in range turn 2. That makes for around 8-9 dead MEQ's per turn on average. More depending on their heavy weapon platform choice. For example a starcannon will make it a nice even average of 10.

Since they move 6", fleet an average of 3.5", and move again turn 2. Means they cover 15-16" in movement in 2 turns, and shoot 12" giving them an effective range of 27" turn 2. Add in the average deployment zone of 12" thats 39" meaning unless your opponent in in the back 9" of his deployment zone he's in range.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here is what I have seen used in tournament to give you an idea of what can work, its Hybrid @ 2000pts (fairly Balanced) and if your going smaller then a lot has to change as the overall effectiveness of Eldar is totally dependant on how all the units work together and not neccessarily the strength's of the individual units.

HQ 365-18.25%
Eldrad
Elite 226-11.3%
6 Fire Dragons, Exarch with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crack shot.
6 Fire Dragons, Exarch with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crack shot.
Troops 669-33.45%
10 Wraithguard, + Spiritseer with Conceal.
5 Pathfinders
10 Guardian Defenders with Brightlance platform, + Warlock with Conceal and a Singing Spear.
Fast Attack 338-17%
1 Vyper with Eldar Missile Launcher
1 Vyper with Eldar Missile Launcher
8 Warp Spiders, Exarch with Duel Death Spinners and Withdraw.
Heavy Support 400-20%
1 Falcon, Pulse, Shuri-cannon, Catipult, Holo-field, Vectored Engines, Spirit Stones, and Star Engines.
1 Falcon, Pulse, Shuri-cannon, Catipult, Holo-field, Vectored Engines, Spirit Stones, and Star Engines.
Totals 1998pts, 11 Scoring Units, with 53 Figures
Obviously Eldrad, Avatar, the WG and Guardians work as the "Fearless Anvil" slowly advancing forward as Eldrad uses his powers to Fortune appropriately, etc. The Spiders and Vypers run the flanks providing mass shooting or templates as required. The Falcons have a number of options with the Fire Dragons, they can deliver both units for mass anti-tanfanty shooting (with flamers) or they can take down tanks very quickly. Devination allows you to re-locate a portion of your forces if needed (before the game) and even Escalation is not that bad to deal with.

Now for local gaming and in many compititions I personnally take Saim-Hann style armies that use Jetbikes and other fast compononets esclusively; but, these types of armies are much more prone to total failure or total success. The options with Eldar are so vast its unbelievable, feel free to check out my website (klucas.piczo.com) where you can read a little bit about all of the units and the different Craftworld styles.... as this may help you decide what type of force you eventually want to have.

Like I said, if your starting smaller, then you really want to consider how the units can work together before just buying a bunch of stuff. Feel free to ask any questions you like and I hope I can help you out in some way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im also interested in building a wraithlord. what kind of weapons should i give him?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wraithlord works best with anti tank, using its BS4, Missile launcher + Bright lance, or Anti horde, Scatter laser + Star cannon, both work well and you don't loose alot of its effectiveness in combat, because the wraithsword doesn't add an attack in combat...

I suggest you start with the battle force and move on from there, i suggest this to anyone... add units you like, until you settle into a gaming style you like, 2 of the most common ones are:

Skimmer heavy, usually containing, 3 of the heavy tanks, falcons and/or fire prisms, usually with a unit of 6 harlequins or 5 with Yriel (both with shadowseer + harlequins kiss), and/or 6 fire dragons, then with Jetbikes as troops or Pathfinders or Dire avengers in Wave serpents, usually with a jetbike mounted autarch with laser lance, fusion gun and mandiblasters and/or farseer with doom, jetbike, singing spear, runes of warding.

the other common list type is the static/horde list:

Eldrad, avatar, usually around 20-30 guardians, dire avengers, usually a unit of 8 harlequins with shadowseer + death jester, with wraithlords backing them up.

or a hybrid list of the both, so really, you can go anywhere with Eldar and excel in both mounted combat and foot slogging, both requite patience and probably a few spankings at first, but the learning curve is quite steep and soon you will start to win and become an expert with Eldar, so have fun making some lists and post them up here for our reviews, there are some expert Eldar players around, just look at the advice my list received :)!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wraithlords are certainly best suited to shooting; but seriously just use pins or Magnets so that you can swap the weapons around as you see fit.

Other than that, forgotten hero, pretty well covered most of it in regarde to the Wraithlord.

Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iv just gotten my first autarch, and i dont know what to equip him with. i have power weps, fusion guns, shuriken catapults (including avenger), eldar missle luancher, shuriken pistol, and a scatter laser. what should i mix and match???:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I personnally go for Autarch's on Jetbikes, Laser Lance, Fusion-Gun and/or Mandiblasters.

If you want a more static guy, I sould say to go for the Reaper Launcher and use cover.

And as for Wings, jump generators, and Power Weapons, although there are a few (Rare) times that this stuff can work; I don't recommend it for the new to Eldar player.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts