Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to both 40K and this forum, and so I'm looking for advice when building my first army. I'm a big fan of Dawn of War, and recently my girlfriend, who used to play 40K years ago, decided to get back into it and I'm joining her.

So, what I'm going for is an army that will be competitive with hers, but that would also be suitable for general play with other unknown armies. We're probably going to play in a league starting in late March, so I'm trying to build something that's flexible and competitive. She plays a Tyranid swarm army and is very fond of hormagaunt rushes and and multiple scary big bugs such as winged hive tyrants and carnefexes.

So here's my plan. How could I improve on this? Note that I'm not really familiar with the main rulebook yet, so I might have pretty basic questions.

HQ-

Jain Zar 190 pts

Elites-

Harlequins x 10, 9 kisses, Shadowseer 246 pts

Troops

Dire Avengers x10, Exarch with 2 Shur Cannons, Bladestorm 152 pts

Dire Avengers x10, Exarch, Defend, and Bladestorm 162 pts
Fast Attack

Vyper Squadron x3, with Starcannons 210 pts

Transport

Wave Serpents x2, upgraded to shur cannon, twin-linked shur cannons 220 pts

Heavy

Fire Prisms x2, holofields, Spirit stones 320 pts

Total Points- 1500

I'm going to paint everything in Harlequin colors and basically play very offensively. Will this work?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would lose one of the Fire Prims (and thats saying alot cause I love those things) in exchange for more troops. How about a full squad of Guardians with a Bright Lance platform?

The one major thing I see wrong with this is the lack of anti-tank. Well that and the 3 squads of infantry.

At 1500pts 3 Vypers might be to many points.

I would also lose the wave serpents, you could use those points for a couple small jet bike squads or some Rangers.

But all in all I like you're train of thought with the army.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
HQ-
Jain Zar 190 pts

*** While this lady looks pretty cool on paper, she does not do very well on the table. Phoenix Lords (except Asurman) do not have invulnerable saves, so any model hitting her with a power weapon will most likely kill her outright in one round of fighting. Now, Asurman would be a good alternative, though he'd cost a bit more, and an Autarch kitted out to suit one of the DA squads would be even better, and much cheaper.

Elites-

*** Cool, though 2 squads of 6 (if the points can be found) might be a little more threatening and effective against most opponents.

Troops

*** With the Serpents, these guys should do very well for you. I like to use two squads in Serpents as well.

Fast Attack

*** Consider that the Vypers only have BS3, so will usually only cause maybe 2 wounds per turn (if they are not shaken/stunned/destroyed). The return for your points is very weak. I also run 3 Vypers, and all as one squad as well, but I equip them with Shuricannons and Scatter Lasers. They cost the same, but put out 21 Str6 shots, and usually cause closer to 9 wounds. Against Terminators or Carnifexes, this is not so good, but against almost everything else, including light to medium vehicles, this setup is much, much better. I also tend to have a Guiding Farseer on a Jetbike tag along. This farseer costs me 118pts, and makes for a good HQ with a 3+/4++ save.

Transport

*** See what you can do to put Spirit Stones on your Serpents. This is much more useful than the extra Shuricannon.

Heavy

*** Good solid choices, and I run two myself. I tend to put the Shuricannons on these tanks instead of the Serpents, though, as these tanks actually are 'gunships' compared to the transport priority of the Serpents.

Total Points- 1500

Hope this was helpful, and Good Luck with the list!

BTW, this is my 1500pt list that I'll be using in the upcoming online tourney/campaign...

1500pts Yme-Loc Swordwind

Farseer w/ Jetbike, RoWit, Guide, Spear -118
3x Vyper w/ Shuricannon, Scatter Laser - 210

8 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch (Twin Direcats, Bladestorm) - 128
Wave Serpent w/ Twin Scatter Lasers, Stones - 125
8 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch (Twin Direcats, Bladestorm) - 128
Wave Serpent w/ Twin Eldar Missile Launcher, Stones - 130

10 Banshees w/ Exarch (Executioner) - 182
Wave Serpent w/ Twin Starcannon, Stones -135

Fire Prism w/ Shuricannon, Stones, Holo-field - 170
Fire Prism w/ Shuricannon, Stones, Holo-field - 170

1496pts, 35 models, 1HQ, 1Elite, 2Troop, 1FA, 2 HS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would lose one of the Fire Prims (and thats saying alot cause I love those things) in exchange for more troops. How about a full squad of Guardians with a Bright Lance platform?

The one major thing I see wrong with this is the lack of anti-tank. Well that and the 3 squads of infantry.

At 1500pts 3 Vypers might be to many points.
Aren't the fire prisms and the vypers both anti-tank? I took starcannons because they're rather armor piercing and I would get 2 shots each. Is armor piercing different from anti-tank? What would you think if I put Eldar Missle Launchers on the Vypers instead? That might be more flexible because then I could either do pinning blasts against troops or a high strength, high AP attack. Plus, I'd save enough points to put a shimershield and power weapon on my 2nd dire avenger squad.

I would also lose the wave serpents, you could use those points for a couple small jet bike squads or some Rangers.
I thought about rangers, actually, but since I don't really know the rules on pinning, I was worried it may not work on synapse creatures (and those around them). Does it? Also, the wave serpents are sorta important since the army focuses on fast, mobile attack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HQ-
Jain Zar 190 pts

*** While this lady looks pretty cool on paper, she does not do very well on the table. Phoenix Lords (except Asurman) do not have invulnerable saves, so any model hitting her with a power weapon will most likely kill her outright in one round of fighting. Now, Asurman would be a good alternative, though he'd cost a bit more, and an Autarch kitted out to suit one of the DA squads would be even better, and much cheaper.
I plan on joining Jain with the harlequin squad. I do see your point about her save, but I really like her for thematic and aesthetic reasons. So it may be a weak point in ths list, but I'm willing to accept that.

Troops

*** With the Serpents, these guys should do very well for you. I like to use two squads in Serpents as well.
I plan on sticking the first squad in a wave serpent and the harlequin squad (and Jain) in the other wave serpent. Meaninwhile, the other sqaud will slog up the field, hopefully massacreing infantry along the way. Would it be better to have the harlequins walk? I was hoping to get them in assault asap.

Fast Attack

*** Consider that the Vypers only have BS3, so will usually only cause maybe 2 wounds per turn (if they are not shaken/stunned/destroyed). The return for your points is very weak. I also run 3 Vypers, and all as one squad as well, but I equip them with Shuricannons and Scatter Lasers. They cost the same, but put out 21 Str6 shots, and usually cause closer to 9 wounds. Against Terminators or Carnifexes, this is not so good, but against almost everything else, including light to medium vehicles, this setup is much, much better. I also tend to have a Guiding Farseer on a Jetbike tag along. This farseer costs me 118pts, and makes for a good HQ with a 3+/4++ save.
Hmm, I was hoping to mainly use the Vypers as anti-tank/anti-armor, and I thought the starcannons were a good compromise (more shots than brightlances, still alot of AP and decent strength). As I mentioned above, I could go with Eldar Missle Launchers... Would this be a better choice?

Transport

*** See what you can do to put Spirit Stones on your Serpents. This is much more useful than the extra Shuricannon.
OK, great. I thought about spirit stone, but I don't really know what the description means in game terms, so I didn't take them. What about vectored engines, would they help? I would really like to see my infantry get out of the transports alive at the other side of the field!

Heavy

*** Good solid choices, and I run two myself. I tend to put the Shuricannons on these tanks instead of the Serpents, though, as these tanks actually are 'gunships' compared to the transport priority of the Serpents.
Ok, but I thought that if the fire prism moved, then you couldn't fire the secondary gun (shuricannon or shuricatapult). Moreover, its a good idea to keep them moving because they are skimmers and it makes it harder for them to hit or assault. Is this wrong? Why upgrade a gun I'll never be able to fire?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Peace,

you arent allowed to transport the Harlequins with the Serpent of the 2ed Dire Avengers sqaud, since the Serpent is a dedicated transport.

Only the Dire Avengers and assigned HQ may use it.

Lemartes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really?! Well that kinda destroys my plans... Hmm, maybe I can rework it with smaller Harlequin squads and falcons?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, ever thought of the fact that Harlequins have no transport option and other units have them ?

For some people 6 Harlequins in a Falcon work, though I like to crew my Falcons with Fire Dragons.

Lemartes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wraiths?

I had another idea for an army, this one focusing around the idea of wraiths. Maybe I'd paint it in Iyanden colors. Unfortunately, I think it'd be less effective against a horde army and I'm wondering if its just too slow in general to be effective. What do you think?

Eldar Wraith Army

HQ-

Farseer on Jetbike, Doom, Guide, Spirit Stones, Eldritch Storm, singing spear 173 pts
-Warlock on Jetbike, spiritseer, singing spear, Conceal 69 pts

Troops-

Wraithguard x10 350 pts
-Warlock, spiritseer, Singing Spear, Conceal 49 pts

Wraithguard x10 350 pts
-Warlock, spiritseer, singing spear, Conceal 49 pts

Fast Attack-

Vypers x 3, scatterlaser, upgraded to shuri cannon 210 pts

Heavy-

Wraithlord, wraithsword, Eldar missile launcher 125 pts
-flamers or Shuri catapults?

Total Points- 1500

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Well, hum.... I really wonder just how effective it will be...

You'll basically have three units... The Vypers and the Farseer can make a very quick anti-infantry firebase, while the Wraithlord/Spirit Seer/Wraithguard combo will make most enemies cringe in fear. Though, I do wonder exactly what that odd Jetbike Warlock is for... I think the army could be very fun to play, but will not be too competitive simply due to its very elite nature. The first armylist was closer to a fun/take-all-comers list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, thanks for the criticism Hespithe. Here is the original army modified to take into account that the WS can't transport harlequins and incorporating a jetbike squad. What do you think? Is it more balanced? There are a few points left over that I sorta threw into wargear (vectored engines, the mandiblaster), so let me know if you think something is missing that I can tack on. Thanks again!

Modified Harlequin Army-

HQ-

Jain Zar 190 pts

Autarch on Jetbike, mandiblaster, fusion gun, power weapon 130 pts

Elites-

Troops

Dire Avengers x10, Exarch with 2 Shur Catapults, Bladestorm, Defend 167 pts
-Wave Serpent, spirit stone, twin-linked Eldar missile launcher, vectored engines 155 pts

Guardian Jetbikes x9, 3 Shuricannons 228 pts
-Warlock on jetbike, Conceal, singing spear 63 pts

Heavy

Total- 1499 pts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Eldar Wraith Army

HQ-

Farseer on Jetbike, Doom, Guide, Spirit Stones, Eldritch Storm, singing spear 173 pts
-Warlock on Jetbike, spiritseer, singing spear, Conceal 69 pts

A lot of points that can't score,... Take a Fortune Farseer to go close to your WG and wakd them in, Eldrad is the Man for this job if you want bang for the buck. PS, Conceal on a Rune armoured Jetbike figure is useless.

Troops-

Wraithguard x10 350 pts
-Warlock, spiritseer, Singing Spear, Conceal 49 pts

Wraithguard x10 350 pts
-Warlock, spiritseer, singing spear, Conceal 49 pts

You can drop the Spears, the extra 6" range won't do much but an extra attack in CC may be critical.

Fast Attack-

Vypers x 3, scatterlaser, upgraded to shuri cannon 210 pts

Spread them out over 3 units.

Heavy-

These are best as shooters, so don't bother with the Wraithsword, go for another gun. Then keep them moving and away from teh enemy.... A seer close by helps; but is not neccesary as they will only fail once per game each anyway. As for the flamer/shuricat... well I have one with 2 flamers that never gets full use of both templates (as they go off 1 after the other) so I say to jsut take both weapons and like I said,,,, try to keep the thing shooting.

I hope that helps you out, and I know that this style of army actually can work; but it works better as the points get bigger so that you get some more diversity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey im new to the forum but i have been playing eldar for years and with your wrath list, my thought is to drop a wrathlord and put in some support weapons they are cheep and very affective only for like 50points you can take on average 2-3 wounds a turn but combined with more than 1 the average of wounds go up to 4-5 or 6-7 a turn and they can take down tanks pretty well

·
Registered
280 Posts
HQ-
Jain Zar 190 pts Why? She is missing the Banshees that would ake her so good. I think a squad of Withdrawing Shining Spears would work better in the long run, especially with your Autarch.

Autarch on Jetbike, mandiblaster, fusion gun, power weapon 130 pts Why not take the Laser Lance as it is Str=6 PW when you charge.

Elites-
Harlequins x 10, 9 kisses, Shadowseer 246 pts You could trim a kiss or two and stil be effective. Trim it to 6 and shove them in a Falcon would be even nastier.

Troops
Dire Avengers x10, Exarch with 2 Shur Catapults, Bladestorm, Defend 167 pts
-Wave Serpent, spirit stone, twin-linked Eldar missile launcher, vectored engines 155 pts

Guardian Jetbikes x9, 3 Shuricannons 228 pts
-Warlock on jetbike, Conceal, singing spear 63 pts Break this up into 2 squads: 6 bikes with Warlock "Enhance or Destructor as Conceal is near useless", and then antohe squad of 3 just for harrasment. I think you will find the two squads easier to manouver and hide than 10 bike together.

Heavy
Fire Prisms x2, holofields, Spirit stones 320 pts Solid, Vectored Engines help evenmore; but I would actually repalce one of these with a Falcon for the harlequins.... then your entire force woudl be fast and agressive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts