Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm a noob currently building my first army and trying to learn the rules. I'm trying to make a list that 1) has models that look cool to me and 2) is a bit different from what most players use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Autarch w/ power weapon, shuriken pistol, mandiblasters

Autarch w/ Warp Jump Generator, power weapon, fusion gun, mandiblasters

5 wraithguard
1 warlock w/ conceal
-wave serpent w/ twin-linked shuriken cannons, spirit stones

10 storm guardians, 2x flamer
1 warlock w/ destructor
-wave serpent w/ twin-linked missile launcher, spirit stones

5 dire avengers

7 warp spiders
1 exarch w/ 2x death spinner, power blades, withdraw

falcon w/ scatter laser, holo fields, spirit stones

----------------------------------------------------

so if i understand the rules correctly i can start my whole army in reserve and then the autarchs will help them come in early so they can get first shots and stuff?

plan is basically to come in together guns blazing. wraithguard go for biggest threat and pretend they are fire dragons, only hopefully they will survive after their first shot. i'll probably stick the first autarch with them to help them not get stuck in close combat. just gave him a shuriken pistol so he gets extra close combat attack. not sure if that's a good idea. might stick him with storm guardians instead.

well i guess the rest is pretty self explanatory so i'll shut up.

hopefully this is halfway decent? im not worried about being too competitive at this point.

what should i add to upgrade to 1500? another wave serpent with dire avengers or what?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble but you appear to have misread the rules, you cannot start your army in reserve unless the scenario allows it. There are a some models who can start in reserve if they so wish regardless of the scenario but it is not possible to my knowledge to start a whole army in reserve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to burst your bubble but you appear to have misread the rules, you cannot start your army in reserve unless the scenario allows it. There are a some models who can start in reserve if they so wish regardless of the scenario but it is not possible to my knowledge to start a whole army in reserve.
Oh..... are you sure about this? The rules I'm readying say that the reserve rules apply to all standard missions and I can't find anywhere where it says you can't.

I've also been reading a lot of posts where people talk about doing it.

Just want to make sure? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
realy i thought as long as the rules allow it you could keep any unit in reserve as long as you wish

·
Registered
249 Posts
Heehee.
Sorry, reserving your whole army totally is allowed. It's a time-honoured Eldar technique called,
"nyar nyar nyar, can't see me!"

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah you can reserve your whole army, and having 2 autarchs means your guys come in faster then usual.

Reserving means you will allways get the first shots, so you should use this to your advantage and try to make your list good at an alpha strike which is basically shooting your opponent to smithereens first turn so they have nothing to retaliate with. This can be a good tactic but I feel would just make a bit of a boring game.

You also need for a reserve army some form of manouverability in your list as you will start at your board edge meaning you have to go further to get objectives. Also when coming in from reserves you have to move so you may as well make the most of it.

Some units you may want to consider for reserving are the ones that can outflank, warwalkers and scorpions mainly. A unit of 3 walkers with 2x scatter lasers can lay some serious hurt when outflanking even being able to get side and rear armour shots off.

Looking at your list you seem to have done a pretty decent job at this, with 2 wave serpents and the falcon you definately have some firepower and enough maneuverability to make the most of the advantages of reserving.

I cant see anything that needs changing really which warrants you not having what you want in your list.

You could use my ideas of outflankers for 1500 points, or you could get a few more troops. Another DAVU falcon or waveserpent and a unit of a couple of walkers would fit in nicely.

Good luck with it and have fun!

One thing you could think of for

1 - 6 of 6 Posts