Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm new to tabletop (Not so new to the 40 universe) and me and a few friends (Some veterans at tabletop) are getting into setting up 40k again. So I decided to go with Eldar, and we're making 1000k army lists - so I'm posting my current list here in hope that some of you will be able to improve it with your suggestions. Thank you in advance.

HQ: 120 PTS

Autarch x1 (Swooping Hawk Wings, Banshee Mask, Firesabre)

Troops: 431 PTS

Windriders x3 (Scatter Laser x3)
Dire Avengers x5 (Wave Serpent, w/ Eldar missile Launcher)
Dire Avengers x5
Dire Avengers x5 (Dire Avenger Exarch, Exarch Powersword and Shimmershield)

Elites: 245 PTS

Fire Dragons x5 (Fire Dragon Exarch, Wave Serpent w/ Eldar missile Launcher)

Fast Attackers: 210 PTS

Swooping Hawks x5 (Swooping Hawk Exarch, Exarch Sunrifle)
Warp Spiders x5 (Warp Spider Exarch)

Total PTS: 996

Individual point costs (for things like upgrades) are against the rules; unit totals are fine - darkreever

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hello and welcome!
First rid the list of all individual pts since it is against forum rules. Then to the list:
I think you have a good list to start with, something for all. I would advice to join two 5 man squad of DA to one 10 man with shimmershield. Then give the wave serpent to the Dragons to help them reach their target.
What weapons are you planing for the wave serpents?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, and thanks for the reply. I've updated my list to better suit the forum rules.

So for my Wave Serpents; I was planning on keeping their twin-linked shuriken cannons. But after seeing your post, I went back over and was looking at their choices and see what I can do with my spare 14 pts. Perhaps I could add a couple of Starcannons? I don't know, I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You got quite a bit rending/bladestorm to make up the AP2. I would suggest to leave the powerblades on the Spider exarch and take EML on both Serpents. Then you have some AA aswell. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! Thank you, I was considering making room for some more AA and I'm glad you found some space for them. Even though the exarch warp blades looked pretty sweet. Thank you for helping me out :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Are you using any of the eldar formations?

Taking the dragons, hawks and spiders with exarchs (that are already in your list) as an aspect shrine gives you free BS5 if you're not already using it :)

If you could find the points for another swooping hawk in the squad you'd be able to use the large blast on the deep strike grenade rather than the normal size blast.
If you dropped the sunrifle, that could free up the points?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah with my current army, there are two planned formations. The Aspect host and the Dire Vengers Shrine. But yeah, and didn't think about adding another Swooping hawk - is it worth wild to drop the sunrifle though?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yeah with my current army, there are two planned formations. The Aspect host and the Dire Vengers Shrine. But yeah, and didn't think about adding another Swooping hawk - is it worth wild to drop the sunrifle though?
It's basically a weapon choice - what armies are you likely to face?

If it's low init armies then the sunrifle could be useful, if you think ignores cover is more useful go for the blast :)

Are you building with a main formation in mind? (IE the battlehost or the warhost of the pale courts)

I'm not a fan of the DA shrine as you can only take one exarch. I find the shimmershield is the difference between getting wiped out or holding a unit up in CC for an extra turn/having a couple of DA left to take an objective.
I tend to take my DA as troops so I don't have to find more units to count as troops for my cad.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I think the firesabre on the autarch is points wasted. If he, with wings goes with the swooping hawks they won't be in much melee and if they charge it willbe vehicles. Those points would buy you that 6th hawk. And maybe something more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be facing armies such as Tau, Adeptus Mech/Skitari, Royal Guard and Chaos space marines. (MY friends armies). So yeah.

As for 'formations'. I'm not entirely sure, new to tabletop so getting used to the game.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
First things first, this list is actually 1006 points, not 996.

Autarch x1 (Swooping Hawk Wings, Banshee Mask, Firesabre)
I don't really see the point of this guy, even with the bonus strength from the fire sabre he's not all that strong and doesnt really have anyone to go alongside him for a charge. (While he could go with the hawks, they don't want to be in close combat and don't have the numbers for it.)

Windriders x3 (Scatter Laser x3)

Good unit, maybe consider getting them a warlock
Dire Avengers x5 (Wave Serpent, w/ Eldar missile Launcher)
Dire Avengers x5
Dire Avengers x5 (Dire Avenger Exarch, Exarch Powersword and Shimmershield)
First, I would either take scatter lasers or bright lances on the wave serpent and upgrade the shurican catapult to a cannon. If your taking the missile launchers for versatility against a variety of targets, I think your better off doing that with specific units. And if your doing it to give yourself some anti air support, honestly the best anti air is air power of your own.

Next, Eldar are fragile, even with aspect warriors having +4 armour they are still only toughness 3. Don't footslog them if you don't have to, and in the case of dire avengers more is better. I would recommend combining the dire avenger squads into two units (one eight strong and the other seven.)

Fire Dragons x5 (Fire Dragon Exarch, Wave Serpent w/ Eldar missile Launcher)
What I said about the wave serpent before applies here.

More importantly, the exarch here (and the spider exarch in fact) doesn't appear to be needed. If you intend on taking the aspect formation than its not like you need his bonus BS for himself.

Swooping Hawks x5 (Swooping Hawk Exarch, Exarch Sunrifle)
As Gret has pointed out, the extra hawk is probably a better buy over the rifle.

Warp Spiders x5 (Warp Spider Exarch)
Take what I said about the dragons and apply it here.

I would recommend something along the lines of this for you:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank for the informative response. I love the suggestions you put forwarded and looked over the list you provided. Giving you suggested having a Warlock alongside the windriders; would you suggest I make room in your given list for him? Because I'm liking the list you provided quite a lot.

Also, would I be fine facing the likes of Tau and Adeptus Mechanicus/Skitari? Giving their vesicles, heavy armor etc... ?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Giving you suggested having a Warlock alongside the windriders; would you suggest I make room in your given list for him?
You can if you want, and to do so I'd recommend dropping one of the windriders, one of the cannons, and the extra spider. That'll put you at 995.

The point of the warlock in your original list is to give you access to conceal.

Because I'm liking the list you provided quite a lot.
Thanks, personally I'm fond of building lists in the 500-1250 point range.

Also, would I be fine facing the likes of Tau and Adeptus Mechanicus/Skitari? Giving their vesicles, heavy armor etc... ?
As long as you don't go charging headlong into either force you shouldn't be to badly off.

When it comes to Skitarii armies you have to keep in mind that they are as tough as your own army (IE low toughness and quite likely to take a lot of damage out in the open.) Skitarii don't have many vehicles, only three in fact, and its the dunecrawler that is the most dangerous (especially in a group of two or three.)

Cult Mechanicus armies can be tough, they don't have a lot of units but each of them has multiple wounds, access to ranged weapons that are a threat to everything your bringing, but everything they have is expensive. You'll be hard pressed not to outnumber a CM armies.

These two can be combined into one army, mitigating some of their weaknesses; but the CM weaknesses still has an impact.

Similar things with Tau, they have a lot of high strength guns or ways to get close to you. Your playing an army based around speed and mobility, so anything that can potentially match that or negate it is going to be an issue.

Having a farseer that can possibly cast guide on your units means they are that much more likely to wipe out or cripple an opposing group. Similarly, having a warlock means you can possibly cast conceal on a unit (like the windriders) and give them a bit more protection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right, well thank you a lot. I'm going to be using the list you provided for the moment because I really like the look of it. And thanks a bunch for the input about the other armies, so to say; know anything about the thousand sons? As I'm going to be going up against them as well?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I'm going to be using the list you provided for the moment because I really like the look of it.
Go for it

know anything about the thousand sons? As I'm going to be going up against them as well?
That depends if your going up against pure Thousand Sons as opposed to Tzeentch chaos marines (there is a difference.)

If its a true Thousand Sons army, than like a Cult Mechanicus army they will be smaller in number and a little tougher to kill. They also will be able to match you when it comes to the psychic phase because they must be led by a sorcerer (mastery 2 or 3) and Thousand Son squads are led by aspiring sorcerers (mastery 1). At 1k, you might see two squads or three squads mounted in a rhino, maybe a predator, raptors, terminators, or obliterators.

Now if its a Tzeentch chaos marine army, then your going up against chaos marines, some of which who may have the mark of Tzeentch (it either gives a unit an invulnerable save or improves a units invulnerable save.) So your more likely to see normal chaos marines, 2-4 squads depending on the player, in addition to a chaos lord (or at least more likely than the sorcerer if not both), and bikes, spawn, obliterators, cultists, and/or chosen.

As a space marine army, regardless of true thousand sons or Tzeentch marines, they will be slower than your army but each model is tougher than what your bringing. They have both a higher toughness and a better armour save. Normal chaos marines bring bolters to the table, which are about on par with your shurican catapults (though lacking in an ability like bladestorm). Thousand Sons bring bolters with inferno bolts, giving their bolters AP3.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts