Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :)
I've been away from the game a while and i've recently game back just before 6th hit.

now my problem is this

I play my friend who likes to use this guy corbulo. he puts him in a sternguard squad and drops them from a drop pod. i didn't have a problem with him until i realised...THIS PRICK WILL NOT DIE :(

i play eldar and tau. People say throw str 8 weapons at him.
that could work but then he just uses "look out sir" and takes it on another guy. his 2 up fnp makes him pretty untouchable from massed fire.

the question is...can anyone help me come up with effective ways to deal with this character/unit/tactic?

It's a real pain in the ass

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
With Eldar/Tau? Easiest way are allies. Ally in any unit with a power fist or similar S8+ attack that ignores armor saves, and he'll die quickly in close combat. Just keep that unit close to your most valuable troops.

The Eldar also have Wraithlords and Fire Prisms. Although you still have to worry about 'look out sir', both these units can kill his retinue without too much trouble. The Tau, however, have nothing I can think of in their army, besides simply shooting them to death when they appear, to the best of your ability.

That's really what it comes down to: ally in some close combat focused units, or use units that can effectively kill his unit. When it dies, no more 'look out sir' rolls.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
In my tau I have a 5man death company with Libby, a fist and sword, I dropped 'em in but you could easily use them as a rearguard or what not, their pretty cheap and effective for allies, you could use a assault squad instead of the death company- f you like- so power fist to the face or massed str8 if my only answer

Or just manuavre round him to shoot at the sound fleshy blob of the unit he's meant to be protecting

Reactions: mynameisgrax

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello everyone :)
i play eldar and tau. People say throw str 8 weapons at him.
that could work but then he just uses "look out sir" and takes it on another guy. his 2 up fnp makes him pretty untouchable from massed fire.

the question is...can anyone help me come up with effective ways to deal with this character/unit/tactic?
You could shoot one part of the squad with something else, hopefully reducing the number of models that Guy can throw in front of himself. After that, blow him away with Strength 8 weapons. I like the Idea of a Space Marine BBQ courtesy of local Fire Dragons.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Massed fire. Weight of fire is effective at killing Terminators and just effective as killing stubborn models like him.

Other options would be to flank the unit, shoot his support out from under him (templates help mass those wounds a lot) and then pound him with the heavy firepower.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Other than his 2+ FNP, Corbulo does not have very impressive stats. As LTKage said, Fire Dragons will destroy both him and his unit, denying armor and FNP to all. Fire into him and hope he fails a LO'S. If not, you'll still have a lot less Sternguard to worry about.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hmm...I like Kiro's idea of 5 Death Company with Librarian. Something like this:

Librarian w/optional combi-flamer (or melta)

5 Death Company marines w/power fist, rhino

Or the same with jump packs instead of the rhino. Either way, it's a very nice unit to add some close combat punch to an allied army. I like it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My actual list for them is just...
Libby
infernos pistol
Often uses biomancy

5death company
power fist
Power sword
Infernos pistol

All in dropped with deathwind rocket pod
For 400pt total- I think, my lists not with me at the mo
But they jump in, rocket pod shooting, large pie plate kills all
Infernos pistol melts vehicle(or not with dark eldar shadow field doohicky--6" range)or dumbly exposed character then charge if they stil live- I roll SO bad saves!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My actual list for them is just...
Libby
infernos pistol
Often uses biomancy

5death company
power fist
Power sword
Infernos pistol

All in dropped with deathwind rocket pod
For 400pt total- I think, my lists not with me at the mo
But they jump in, rocket pod shooting, large pie plate kills all
Infernos pistol melts vehicle(or not with dark eldar shadow field doohicky--6" range)or dumbly exposed character then charge if they stil live- I roll SO bad saves!
That works too.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
With my Orks i would shoot him lots... lots and lots and lots... even if my Boyz are a rubbish shot something's gonna kill him, same with the guard. BAs I would try and pin him down, I can't kill him but he's in combat with something that he can't kill either so haha (I don't like this last method btw) :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've quickly realised that firedragons are the kings of killing him and his unit, but there is the problem. He knows it too and drops down from the drop pod and wrecks a full squad. doesn't matter if i'm in cover or anything.

Massed shots have failed me time and time again. he just eats it up and if he fails one..just uses his one reroll.

I do like the idea of the DC and libby. I may give this a try.
At this moment and time i'm playing my tau with eldar allies and for now i would like to try and deal with him using that combo (sorry, forgot to say that in my post)

I can see str 8 weapons will do the job but...the only thing i have that does it is dragons and it's hard to keep them safe.

thanks for all your help guys. this little asshole is always ruining my day :p

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Without relying on Allies, I suggest a form of rapid response unit.

Eldar I'd consider Banshee's in a Falcon. If he is going to spend the points it takes to Nuke your line with a squad of Sternguard, do it back to a degree. Yriel and 5 banshee's in a falcon.

Tau, I'd go for a unit of Crisis with Plasma rifles and Fusions. This prevents the 'Feel no pain' roll. Crisis are also fairly tough in CC (for Tau) and will be a hard unit to shift.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Try keeping your Fire Dragons in a transport until his unit arrives. That should keep them safe long enough till they need to shoot.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Tau, I'd go for a unit of Crisis with Plasma rifles and Fusions. This prevents the 'Feel no pain' roll. Crisis are also fairly tough in CC (for Tau) and will be a hard unit to shift.
I'd prefer a unit of Fireknives - they'd be more versatile, and not lose a huge amount of efficiency against MEq - Fusion Blasters will kill about 1 dude, which is likely to be LOS!'d and then get you charged, and the Plasma Rifles (while fantastic weapons) are only Str 6 and thus require a lot of failed LOS! rolls to kill Corbulo.

Personally, I'd ignore him. Kill the other bits of his army; the only thing making him better than a Sergeant with a Chainsword is that it's Str5 (but doesn't benefit from FC) and Rending at WS5. 2 WS5 Str5 attacks allowing armour isn't particularly worrying. Far-Seeing Eye is annoying, but rarely swings a game.

Midnight

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The question is: Will killing him help you win the game? Since 5/6 games are objective based you may be better off shooting down his troops and protecting your own rather than worrying about killing some super-unit that can't score and isn't mobile.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you really want to flatten him an Avatar & 3 wraithlords sat in reserve should deal with hiim quickly.

Alternatively start a deamon army and turn him into a spawn, all it takes is one failed toughness roll and he's lost all those rules that make him near unkillable. And they can ally with Tau

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i tried ignoring him a few times, but he seems to just cause too many problems :(

i had mech eldar but find they don't really work in this edition :/
the avatar and wraithlord idea could actually work. That should stomp the unit pretty well when he drops in.

I play him in a day or so. I'm gonna try out a few lists using all your suggestions. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

was really stuck for ideas :)

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
If he is dropping in castle up, let him drop, put a cheap unit of guardians or something strung around your army. He drops turn one, he might shoot one unit off the board. You then will have everything in your army right there to shoot him off the board.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts