Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey are the editors of BL on break, dead, or MIA? I have just read two books "The Chapters Due" and "Rynn's World" and I am apalled of the amount of typing errors if you guys want I can post a few quotes but I thought that I would bring this up to discussion

cmon #1 rule of writing is to proof read because there is always a possibility leaving something out

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I havent read either of these books, so i cant really comment, but usually its pretty spot on.

Maybe theyd just come back from a super piss up?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Did you preorder those two books? Because back when i was pre-ordering everything from them i noticed a lot of errors that later i did not find in store bought copies.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you preorder those two books? Because back when i was pre-ordering everything from them i noticed a lot of errors that later i did not find in store bought copies.
No I bought them a couple months they were released

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
Every novel does. Not just BL.

Some, however, like Rynn's World, are a little more typotastic.
one stood out when reading one of your stories Aaron.

I was reading Book of Blood with your short story At Gaius Point.

at one point in the story Jarl has one of his "Sanguinius Moments". during this italicized section it reads
Sangunius removes his helm...
oh boy, i thought that was damned funny! I even dog-eared the page, so i could tell you about it when the opportunity presented itself. :p

your pal,

Dave :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Try reading a Forge world IA book, thats pretty cringe worthy now and then.

Also the ability to get rules wrong totally is outstanding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I remember Rynn's World having a few spelling and/or grammar errors but worse that those was the following screw-up.

Warning! Spoiler ahead!

On page 103 Urzog Mag-kull kills Captain Ashor Drakken and on page 468 Cortez says that Urzog killed Captain Drigo Alvez but on page 469 it says that Urzog had killed one Captain, not two. I contacted the author Steve Parker to find out what happened and he explained that that Urzog only killed Ashor Drakken. He also called it a glaring error that the editors should have caught.

So yeah, even the authors seem to agree with you hippypancake.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
I realize that it was pointed out to you that the entry is simply wrong, but you could also go with it being Cortez saying something he believes to be true (because it 'could' be possible) or Cortez may be blaming him for killing said captain through the destruction of the fortress monastery.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you think it is bad in IA books how about the new nid codex

In huge fucking letters it says

"THE GREAT DEVOURER IS COME.
DESTROYER OF WORLDS!"

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
4,632 Posts
bullshit...its incorrect grammar it should either be The Great Devourer Has Come or The Great Devourer is Coming
actually, that is correct grammar. The English language is odd that way. Let me give you another example you may be familiar with.

"The Lord is come." from the classic carol, Joy to the World.

really the phrase should read (in current English usage) "The Great Devourer is here."

However, the word come is substituted here as an "unaccusative intransitive verb." This form of usage was much more prominent in earlier versions of English, dating from the 1650's (perhaps earlier) all the way through the 1700's (with some instances all the way up till the 1900's).

Common "American English" usage would have us believe you are correct and that GW is wrong. However, in this instance, you both are correct. GW used this earlier form of English usage to display the archaic nature of the phrase, also attempting an aire of "fancyness".

In the early 1900's, people started to substituted the word has for is in the phrase. And therefore we start seeing a more "past tense" nature in descriptions of real-time events.

your grammar lesson for the day,

CP

EDIT: Here's a bit of reading for you. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unaccusative_verb

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Yeah.... So long story short, it sounds like crap but isn't wrong.

·
4,632 Posts
Yeah.... So long story short, it sounds like crap but isn't wrong.
I apologize for the long drawn out post, but i get highly perturbed when people accuse something/someone of false grammar without doing a lick of research first. Let's give GW some credit.

CP

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
No, was a nice litte grammar lesson, I might have learned something if I wasn't half asleep already.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts