Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was hoping some folks who sell minis on eBay (or know about the endeavor) can give me some insight into how the sellers come up with their prices.

Is there a reason people charge $50 for a metal version of something when there is a plastic or finecast version of the same sculpt for sale from GW for $15? Is there some ethereal group of hobbyists who are intent on buying up all the metal that GW has produced?

I realize there are a handful of people out there who probably make a substantial portion of their income from selling used minis. But how many are they actually selling when they're so over priced? With the sheer volume of miniatures for sale on the internet, many of which are competitively or "fairly" priced, is a seller simply naive for charging 50% more than his/her competition?

If there are 100 separate offerings of OOP Metal Chaos Terminators, you're not going to sell them by charging 500% more than your competition. In the first place, close to nobody is going to want an old crappy sculpt versus newer, detailed versions. I imagine even the relatively few collectors out there who do care about such minis aren't going to drop an arm and a leg. Something doesn't necessarily have collectible value simply because it's out of print. Wonky example, but if they suddenly stopped printing Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, etc. there are so many previously printed editions of the book that it would take a thousand years for them to have some sort of value.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this?

Here's an example: $10 from GW:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Grey-Knights-Warrior-Acolyte

$18 + $3, "Or Best Offer" which in the case of this seller means $2 below asking price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-4.../371151258262?pt=Games_US&hash=item566a56c296

Is there something about the fact that it's metal that makes it worth ~$10 more than the brand new product?

I realize I've only provided a single example, but I'm relatively confident the situation is widespread.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Those old metal chaos terminators are slightly smaller than the new plastic ones. That means the metal combi-bolters, power fists, etc fit regular chaos marines nicely and look really good on unit champions.

Sometimes a metal model is more desirable than a failcast one as they are less prone to breaking and people are willing to pay slightly more.

The e-bay person in your example is probably charging more because of the wonderful paint-job....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Several different things that effect how people cost them. Some people seem to think that if it is a metal cast that has been updated that it has more value but fail to realise that other people are still selling it cheap so it just doesn't sell. Other people may charge more if it is still in packaging. Or if it is painted they may consider it 'pro' and hard to replicate even though it isn't nad people will probably wan to do there own versions, but they will still charge more.

A lot of the time its just people thinking it is more collectible than it is. I can imagine some of the DE stuff being more expensive now, as its metal (and not the finecast versions, and from how spindly they are they break easily) and the new plastic version I don't think look as cool.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't envy the task of trying to make a living selling used minis, but it just seems for minis that are clogging the market, it would be better to sell them off asap for a lower profit. Not everything is worth a mint. Metal Kharn isn't worth $50.

Anyway, just a passing question more than anything too serious to discuss.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Some sellers i feel seem to think that because it is old it is more valuable. No matter how crappy it is they seem to think this. I think that they hope someone out there needs their metal model to finish their late edition army. While this may be true and even for people that buy they to do conversions there are not that many of them. They never seem to lower the price though and just keep relisting it and hoping.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I've also seen ridiculously inflated prices posted, I presume in the hopes of getting someone to make a mistake, or take advantage of wealthy parents not knowing any better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts