Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
last year, GW closed down their own facebook page due to the "Spot the Space Marine" incident that flooded their page with negative comments.
This year, they closed down the GW digital and FW facebook pages.
Now they found out that the 'Eavy Metal team is still in contact with customers and shut down their facebook group as well (thanks to Davylove21 over at Dakka for finding this):

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't understand. GW found out their 'Eavy Metal Department still had an FB page that spoke directly to their customers and shut them down for that reason?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't understand. GW found out their 'Eavy Metal Department still had an FB page that spoke directly to their customers and shut them down for that reason?
Yes.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

I have my reservations that GW was unaware of the fb groups existence when it used a GW trademarked term as it's title and they have a colossal legal team monitoring such things.

They probably discontinued the group due to Warhammer Visions containing the 'Eavy Metal teams photos.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I'm no expert on the matter but I believe that GW's Legal Boffins decided that this:

was an attack on their IP and got Amazon to withdraw it, slapped a C&D on the author from using the term etc etc etc. The internet didn't like this and decided to tell GW quite aggressively through the FB pages. Rather than actually dealing with the issue GW decided that the easiest way of solving the issue was to shitcan the FB pages which to me sounds like cutting off your hand because you got a splinter but that's just my opinion.

Basically GW Legal did was GW Legal do best with all the tact and finesse of a battering ram and the internet responded in kind.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
'eavy Metal closure announcement made but within the span of an hour of that announcement, the fellas created an alternate 'eavier Metal page and pretty much most of the community who saw the announcement regrouped there... Simple!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Would just like to point out that one of the other former members of the 'Eavy Metal group has made another group called 'eavy metal (note the lack of capitals)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm no expert on the matter but I believe that GW's Legal Boffins decided that this:

was an attack on their IP and got Amazon to withdraw it, slapped a C&D on the author from using the term etc etc etc.
According to amazon themselves at the time, they took it off sale as they were made aware of the fact space marine was IP by another author.

GW legal's only involvement was being asked about it,
the whole thing was a storm in an egg cup

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

was an attack on their IP and got Amazon to withdraw it, slapped a C&D on the author from using the term etc etc etc. The internet didn't like this and decided to tell GW quite aggressively through the FB pages. Rather than actually dealing with the issue GW decided that the easiest way of solving the issue was to shitcan the FB pages which to me sounds like cutting off your hand because you got a splinter but that's just my opinion.

Basically GW Legal did was GW Legal do best with all the tact and finesse of a battering ram and the internet responded in kind.
Wait is Spot a space marine or it telling you to spot the space marine?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
The FB group was set up by the EM team back when I was on it. It has since grown quite substantially and has become more of a place to show off painting (not necessarily on GW models) and get advice. I am sad to see it go, but as a result am now a member of the groups 'eavy metal (no caps), 'eavier metal and oz painting, so horizons have broadened somewhat :grin:

Sad to see a group that has been going over 6 years and had thousands of members get shut down.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You remember it wrong.
"Spots the Space Marine" has nothing to do with 40k. It is a "Starship Trooper" inspired ebook about a woman in a space war. Chances are that the female author never heard of 40k before, because Space Marine is a term from the original Starship Trooper novel.
http://mcah.wikia.com/wiki/Spots_the_Space_Marine_%28fiction%29

In mid-December of 2012, I received a notice from Amazon that they had suspended the sales of my e-book, Spots the Space Marine, in response to a complaint from Games Workshop that I was infringing on their trademark on the term "space marine." Looking up the relevant trademark information in the US, UK and European databases, I discovered that in no country did GW have a trademark on any class related to fiction. I discussed this with Amazon, which told me to talk with Games Workshop. Over a period extended by the frequent absences due to the holidays, I had that discussion and could not reach an agreement with GW.

I had written two blog posts about this issue in mid-December and again in January. However, my post in February (In the Future All Space Marines Will Be Warhammer 40K Space Marines) caused enough media movement that the EFF was able to convince Amazon to re-instate the e-book. You can once again buy it on Amazon, and many people have; I was gratified to see so many reviews from people who bought the book because of the controversy, only to discover they enjoyed it.
http://mcah.wikia.com/wiki/Spots_vs_Games_Workshop

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Space Marine is a term from the original Starship Trooper novel.
Indeed Kroothawk, and a great point you make; thank you for the information. In fact I'd go so far to to state that many Video Games contain the term "Space Marines," and even well-known games such a Starcraft contain the iconic imges of "Marines" in their massive sets of armor. Why has GW not gone after them..??

It is sad to see that GW Legal is so desperate for either money or attention that they target an author, and a poor writer at that, for a ridiculous trademark issue. They will honestly loose more business from this than their Legal Team can afford.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Indeed Kroothawk, and a great point you make; thank you for the information. In fact I'd go so far to to state that many Video Games contain the term "Space Marines," and even well-known games such a Starcraft contain the iconic imges of "Marines" in their massive sets of armor. Why has GW not gone after them..??

It is sad to see that GW Legal is so desperate for either money or attention that they target an author, and a poor writer at that, for a ridiculous trademark issue. They will honestly loose more business from this than their Legal Team can afford.
They would go after Blizzard for that if A. They used the term "space marine" in Starcraft, which they do not. And B, were a smaller company with a weaker legal force. To sue Blizzard would be too expensive for GW to bother with.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Yeah but as well all know starship troopers stole the term too, the first confirmed use was in 1932 a whole 27 years before the starship trooper useage, anyway this has nothing wjat so ever to do with the original topic of eavy Metal dropping faceboot, to be honest I never even knew they had a Facebook page and do they really have time to administer it when they should be working, besides more and more people are walking away from social media these days as they have become just another source of spam adverts and full of people posting utter mindless dross nobody else gives a shit about, out of the close friends I have I am the only one left with an active profile and I keep that mainly to post spam/advertise www.bitsandkits.co.uk in the wargame pages.
We restocked yesterday if anyone might be interested. ....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts