Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals, maybe this has been done before but hows this for a silly (and potentially destructive) army?

captain
-artificer
-plasma pistol
-power sword
-145 points

command squad
-apothecary
-4 veterans - all with plasma guns
- 1 with company banner
-190 points

tac squad x 3
-1 sergeant
-4 space marines
-270 points

Sternguard veteran squad x 3
-sergeant - plasma pistol
-2 veterans with plasma guns
-2 veterans with combi-plasmas
-480 points

Devestator Squad x 2
-4 space marines with plasma cannons
-410 points

-1495pts

Close Combat? Drop pods? Transports? Deep Striking!? NO I SAY! Masses and masses of fiery death to the heretic!! MUHAHAHAHA!

Comments?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hello guys and gals, maybe this has been done before but hows this for a silly (and potentially destructive) army?

captain
-artificer
-plasma pistol
-power sword
-145 points

command squad
-apothecary
- 1 with company banner
-190 points

tac squad x 3
-1 sergeant
-4 space marines
-270 points

-2 veterans with plasma guns
-480 points

Devestator Squad x 2
-410 points

-1495pts

Close Combat? Drop pods? Transports? Deep Striking!? NO I SAY! Masses and masses of fiery death to the heretic!! MUHAHAHAHA!

Comments?
i can see it now... you roll 6 1's twice for one squad and cry XD (IE the squad kills itself)

i see no reason why it wouldnt work.... but you may want to consider kitting your Devi's with Missle launchers instead so you can get more plasma elsewere

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could work I suppose, but where would the extra plasma's go?

I'm talking 5th edition here, so id need 10 men in a tac squad to get the extra plasma and cannon... which would work out more points for less suicidal death dealing mayhem...

·
Registered
496 Posts
That could work I suppose, but where would the extra plasma's go?

I'm talking 5th edition here, so id need 10 men in a tac squad to get the extra plasma and cannon... which would work out more points for less suicidal death dealing mayhem...
the other reason i suggested the missle launchers is because you cant even glance AV14 with the list as is

perhaps you could buff some squads number and add plasma in that way?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
What about Walkers? AV13+? This list is... Shite, for what of a better term. Also, what about Objectives? You have 3 units capable of doing that. 15 wounds.

Let's break it down - for bolters to remove that capability - that's 135 Bolter shots, or about 3 turns worth of shooting for a standard SM army. Add in Template Weapons, AP3 weaponry, and blasts, and you're looking at losing those 15 wounds in about half that time.

I mean, it's fine for "friendly" gaming, but there's not a chance it would stand up against tournament builds.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good point lads, ok here we go, a revised list... still sticking to its suicidal plasma death and destruction roots but perhaps a little more versatile...

captain
-artificer
-plasma pistol
-power sword
-145 points

command squad
-apothecary
- 1 with company banner
-190 points

tac squad 1 x 2
-1 sergent - plasma pistol - power Fist
-9 space marines
-1 with plasma Gun
-1 with Plasma Cannon
-450 points

-sergent - plasma pistol - melta bombs
-1 veteran with plasma gun
-1 veteran with lascannon
-490 points

Devestator Squad x 1
-3 space marines with plasma cannons
-1 with lascannon
-210 points

1500 pts

basically dropping one of the devi's for additional troops and lascannons for the sternguards and remaining devi squad.

also melta bombs for the sterns sergeants and power fist/plasma pistols for the tac sarges.

better?

·
Registered
496 Posts
good point lads, ok here we go, a revised list... still sticking to its suicidal plasma death and destruction roots but perhaps a little more versatile...

captain
-artificer
-plasma pistol
-power sword
-145 points

command squad
-apothecary
- 1 with company banner
-190 points

tac squad 1 x 2
-1 sergent - plasma pistol - power Fist
-9 space marines
-1 with plasma Gun
-1 with Plasma Cannon
-450 points

-490 points

Devestator Squad x 1
-1 with lascannon
-210 points

1500 pts

basically dropping one of the devi's for additional troops and lascannons for the sternguards and remaining devi squad.

also melta bombs for the sterns sergeants and power fist/plasma pistols for the tac sarges.

better?
looks decent to me... though i dont even play SM x3

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
great list for killing SM out in the open. If I knew that I was going against that as a BA player, I would just put 4 LR Crusaders on the table and ruin the day. Missile launchers are a good thing. Or swap out the Plasma Cannons for Las cannons ... Las/Plas death machines.

·
Registered
496 Posts
hmmm, all good criticism, i like it.

missiles launchers for the tacs or devi squad i wonder? where to spend the freed up points?
4 missles on Devi's makes them both deadly and cheap

extra points should be spent on bodies or Razorbacks with TL Plasmagun/LC

·
Registered
220 Posts
my response is more based on potential than just using this list for fun..

i'd drop the company banner (where the squad is shooty), plasma pistol from dev. sgt.(pointless), and run the sternguard with 6 combimelta, and rhino or drop pod. Definitely not plasma w/ sternz, they already have a round that can kill themselves and they also don't need to be lagged down by a lascannon toting mofo. melta would help you kill av13 and 14, all armor values.

take luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
what about plasma on bikes??

relentless plasma, and each bike squad regardless of size can take 2 plasma guns.

Also fits your no transports ( sort of, no AV anyway ) theme.

Like captain on bike with PP

Command squad on bikes with PG's

4 x bike squads with 2x PG + PP

Then devs with PC's

Since the idea of the list if for fun, why the hell not eh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the idea of the bikes, but its probably not for me. I like my infantry too much!

The melta's are a good idea too, that might get incorporated. The combi plasma's arent too useful as theyre only one shot and there will probably be LOTS of infantry to shoot at. The meltas are also one shot but there typically arent as many vehicles as men and thus their shots will count more.

I was thinking about juggling it around a bit to try and fit a pred in there. Ok i know i said i like my infantry, but the idea of a whacking great big sodding tank appeals somewhat more than a lots of dudes on bikes. getting rid of most of the sergeant gear might be able to free up enough space for a TL lascannon and maybe some side bolters.

·
Registered
116 Posts
captain
-artificer
-plasma pistol
-power sword
-145 points
Since your army assault potential isn't too great already, don't you want so swap captain for a master of the forge? TL plasma pistol included but you may swap it for conversion beamer an a plasma pistol for approximately captain's cost - much greater shooting and you'd most probably be screwed in assault, anyway.

-490 points
They already have great ammunition even further improved by plasma guns and you are ready for forgo all these goodness for the sake of one lascannon shot (that you would be probably making at AV14 or at 24+ inches - making all the plasma useless). Or, when moving and shooting rapid fire - lascannon carrier will be denied his attack.
So I'd say you'd better live lascannons to Tactical squads, and let sternguards to use rapid fire weapons (by the way, combimeltas are great and their ammunition is killy enough even without adding plasma).

Devestator Squad x 1
-1 with lascannon
-210 points
PC and LC - different ranges, different target types. Not the best mix again, imho.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You've got a good idea but you're execution is going to make the idea fail. It's imperative that you're able to crack armor otherwise your plasma will simply bounce from enemy armor.

good hunting.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
You've got a good idea but you're execution is going to make the idea fail. It's imperative that you're able to crack armor otherwise your plasma will simply bounce from enemy armor
Yup... Foot armies are not very competative at all... now if this is just a friendly thing... then cool... but if not, then you're in trouble...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Isn't there a special HQ that lets you take Sternguard veteran as troops? Or is it a "you may take one Sternguard veteran as a troop choice"? Either way you're planning to max out your elites with Sternguard why not change your HQ to that guy, and then drop/reduce your tac squads? Should free up some points to help with the lake of anti-armor.

And if your theme is “suicide fiery death”, won't meltas fit well into that? Not as suicidal but still fiery.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Isn't there a special HQ that lets you take Sternguard veteran as troops? Or is it a "you may take one Sternguard veteran as a troop choice"? Either way you're planning to max out your elites with Sternguard why not change your HQ to that guy, and then drop/reduce your tac squads? Should free up some points to help with the lake of anti-armor.

And if your theme is “suicide fiery death”, won't meltas fit well into that? Not as suicidal but still fiery.
That dude would be pedro kantor who lets your sternguard claim objectives.

BTW I am really loving the fiery death theme of this list. :biggrin:

·
Registered
220 Posts
pedro kantor enables sternguard to become scoring units, not become troop choices. though you have a point where he could drop troop choices and utilize pedros sternguard r00L. sternguard do have a tendency to die in my army :) they do a great job though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okey dokey, lets make this mofo a bit better then shall we?

Pedro Cantor
-175 points

tac squad x 2
-1 sergent
-9 space marines
-1 with plasma gun
-1 with lascannon
-380 points

-2 veteran with plasma guns
-2 veterans with combi-meltas
-each squad has Razorback w/lascannon + TL Plasmagun
-735 points

Devestator Squad x 1
-205 points

1495 pts

I think this build may make the army a shed load more versatile. what started off as a crazy half formed idea is starting to look pretty good. And still sticking to the basic idea of plasma based mayhem!

Swapped the lascannons over to the tac squads as suggested, means they can be split up into combat squads with the plasma gun and sarge running forwards and the lascannons finding somewhere suitable to set up camp and rain withering fire on the enemy.

Also added transportation for each of the Sternguard squads in the form of razorbacks. I know, i know, im going back on what i said earlier but you guys are right... there needs to be some kind of mobility. Also the extra lascannons will be good for anti-armour (plus they mount more plasma guns. more, more, MORE I SAY!!). Relaced multi plasmas for multi meltas for that additional anti armour punch.

Added Pedro so the sterns could also be scoring units, vastly increasing the ability of the army to contest objectives. Unfortunately, because hes a chapter master and not a captain it meant I could no longer take the command squad and all their lovely plasma guns :(

Devi squad got all plasma cannons and the sarge got a plasma pistol.

And i think thats about it... I'm really starting to like the feel of this army, let me know what you guys think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts