Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished my first box of Necron Warriors and have now gained enough confidence to attempt to paint my HQ, however while warriors are simple to paint (part of the reason I went with Necrons,) the Lords look slightly harder, especially with a res orb. I was wondering if anyone had some easy paint schemes that would be good for a newbie. Pictures would be good please, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I definetly agree that Necrons are pretty easy to paint and get on the table lookin' good. I'd suggest painting them a base of mithril silver (i.e. the legs, arms, torso, and head), paint the chest detail in snot green, paint the staff gold, use the same snot green for the orb and rocks on the base, and paint mithril silver the blade edge.

IMO, those colors go well with a standard necron metal-looking army. The cape can further be painted like a blood red with a badab black wash, the details on his head can be gone over in gold, and his shoulder epaulets can be painted gold as well. Of coursem these are all inter-changeable, just don't wip out bright pink with ultramarines blue :p

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I am no paint expert but in one of the apoc books there is some background on the necrons and the 'grades' of lord within their ranks. I think they were defined using metallic colors:- silver, gold, platinum and possible bronze. Maybe use gold as the base metallic color for your lord as an alternative.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Necrons are fairly easy to paint to some degree, so Ill go over how I did my lord and you can sub in the colors you want to use.

1. Spray paint the finished model black.
2. Take your army's main color (In my case fenris gray) and paint up the chest, shoulders, arms and legs (depending on how good you are you might want to avoid the joints for a cool effect).
3. With that done take your secondary color (in my case warlock purple) and dot in the eyes, and slots on the rib cage.
4. Once the eyes are filled in (its really hard to keep the paint JUST on the eyes so don't paint the face first, the chest is easier) go over the face with the main color.
5. do the resorb in the secondary color and then 3 layers of gloss for a cool glassy effect. (obviously let the color dry before adding the gloss =) )
6. I did the cape up in a khaki just because its supposed to be millions of years old, but green and red both make cool capes. One of the favorite ones I've seen was black on the outside and red on the inside like Dracula or something.
7. Do the gems in green with 1-2 layers of gloss, just for added effect.
8. If you plan on using the gaze of flame (I wouldn't but its your army) you might consider painting the eyes red/orange.
9. I kept my staff black but they look cool done up in mythril silver with a red wash on the blade. (looks all bloody if you do it right.)
10. Add or remove parts to the lord for extra flare, ex. I have a hot rodder lord (mufflers on the soldiers and chains on his back and staff, the spine is done up in flame colors.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
what about this: 1:1 blood red+boltgun metal as the main colour then the head gold with a red stripe in the middle and blue eyes then the legs are 2:1 blood red+boltgun metal the detail on the chest in light blue and the cape black with blood

P.S. I'm not the one who made up the colour scheme it was my friend

·
Registered
134 Posts
for my scheme. undercoat of black, dybrush silver, paint bottom legs shoulder pads forearms and heads red, now drybrush those very lightly with silver for a faded look, and dot the eyes yellow. for the lord i paint the orb green w/ swirls and a bit of silver and use area effect painting for a glowing effect...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts