Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my rulebook today :) Have to say I like the illustrations, cannot comment on the rules though...Anyone else get it yet?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got the digital one. Honestly I am just skiming through rules until I reach spots I know have changed. If it wasn't for the new psychic phase I wouldn't even call it edition 7 but more like 6.5. I think 7 is what they wanted 6 to be but needed a reason to make a new edition so they added the new psychic phase. Not to say they added it as an afterthought but maybe it was something they were working on and were waiting for all the codex books to catch up before they could add it in. So now we have this odd mix of 6.5 with a new phase and there we have it edition 7. I kinda like it, i like it better then 6. Many of the over powered shit got nerfed, many of the "weak" armies will see a comeback, my only issue is many things in it totally ruin canon. Like the changes to allies, and sorry but librarians summoning Daemons?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got the digital one. Honestly I am just skiming through rules until I reach spots I know have changed. If it wasn't for the new psychic phase I wouldn't even call it edition 7 but more like 6.5. I think 7 is what they wanted 6 to be but needed a reason to make a new edition so they added the new psychic phase. Not to say they added it as an afterthought but maybe it was something they were working on and were waiting for all the codex books to catch up before they could add it in. So now we have this odd mix of 6.5 with a new phase and there we have it edition 7. I kinda like it, i like it better then 6. Many of the over powered shit got nerfed, many of the "weak" armies will see a comeback, my only issue is many things in it totally ruin canon. Like the changes to allies, and sorry but librarians summoning Daemons?
Oops wrong game I just realized, I'm sorry.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Off to get mine now :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep a new edition. Rules are very clear so far (I am a noob to the game, so have read the basic mechanics and statlines sections so far). The book illustrates the mechanics nicely, statlines are explained with example cards, and from what I can see it has everything you need to play a game (other than dice), with tokens and templates available in the book to copy and print, or you can just download for free online.
Fluff sections at the start are quite lengthy and gives you a real feel for the world. Tonnes of photos of minis, some cartoony-sequence characters pop up in chapters to explain rule concepts, making it feel like a video game interactive tutorial, which is a cool concept and helps the whole thing flow.
Will be learning g the game from next week at the FLGS. Can't wait tbh.

·
8,723 Posts
Picked up the starter box yesterday :)

EHRMAGEHRD!!! I can't wait to get stuck into these things :good:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did see that starter set at one of the clubs: The new FSA models look great IMO, Blazing Sun not so much, but that's just my personal taste...And don't you get some basic scenery tiles with it too? And a paper back rulebook? All seems like good value so far to me. I would've got the starter set but am just sticking with RoF for the moment. Did you play 1st Edition Tawa?

·
8,723 Posts
I did see that starter set at one of the clubs: The new FSA models look great IMO, Blazing Sun not so much, but that's just my personal taste...And don't you get some basic scenery tiles with it too? And a paper back rulebook? All seems like good value so far to me. I would've got the starter set but am just sticking with RoF for the moment. Did you play 1st Edition Tawa?
There's a fuckton of models in it :)
There's the "Admirals Edition" of the rulebook. Essentially a paperback version minus the massive amount of fluff and the fleet lists.
There's some flat card scenery too. I'd say it's fairly decent value for the contents. :good:

Sadly not. I missed out on 1ed, although I had been looking at it when it first came out I didn't have the funds needed to take the plunge....

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I was in the same boat, except instead of a lack of funds it was a lack of interest at FLGS: It seems that a few people found the 1st ed rules clunky and some people just didn't like the models...Now, the first point I can't comment on, but I find it hard to believe that people could complain about the models: The models was what drew me to the game in the first place, that Prussian zeppelin is almost iconic to the game now. To each there own though I guess. The 2nd wave models are even between though, have you sen the size of the Russian ones? Glorious!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mind you, the only models I don't feel yet are the land based ones...aside from the giant robots, they just seem a bit lacklustre next to the naval and air fleets.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I haven't looked at much but as a Blazing Sun player it looks fun. Incendiary Rockets is nothing new but some models now have every weapon with the Incendiary rule. Then there's the "ghost ship." Should make things pretty intense.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't looked at much but as a Blazing Sun player it looks fun. Incendiary Rockets is nothing new but some models now have every weapon with the Incendiary rule. Then there's the "ghost ship." Should make things pretty intense.
Played my first game tonight against Blazing Sun. Yes the Ghost Ship was ridiculously hard to hit, I basically just ignored it rather than waste shots trying to hit it lol

And yes, my Heat Lances have Incendiary....So much catching on fire on both sides was had! Fun times. Blazing Sun seem very good at boarding actions.

I like the game a lot from my first impressions. All the veterans are saying it is a big improvement on 1st edition and much more balanced (e.g No more small vessels getting lucky and being able to destroy Battleships) and everyone really seems to love the hard back rulebook!

Sadly, this and Malifaux are kind of making me lose all my interest in 40k. I think I may just quit 40k completely now (kinda sad but I am just not feeling it enough anymore, I think partly because it's just too time consuming now they are releasing new editions and billions of supplements so quickly) and sell off my armies for these games.

·
8,723 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And yeah, there are LOTS of pretty shinny things in the book. Oooh so shinny they are!
All the new released stuff is in there...

All the old stat cards are now available online for free (no longer available with the box sets), so you can print them out yourself.

I am thinking of allying in the Ottoman Empire to the French (I think this works from a fluff perspective right?), just because you can take a Battle Cruiser with the friggin' Hagia Sophia on top!

Attachments

·
8,723 Posts
Oh Gods, yes!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And a land walking aircraft carrier! My God man, the humanity...I'd like to retract my previous statement about how the land-based models aren't as good...lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts