Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, im realativily new to the WHFB scene aand have purchased a small dwarf army over the years and never got round to playing any games. In addition to the IoB which is looming around the corner i have benn asked to bring a legal armylist to the launch day and play a few games.

Here is what i have in my model repitoir so far:

Dwarf lord w/shield
Rune lord w/hand weapon
Rune priest w/hand weapon
x20 dwarf warriors w/hand weapon, shields
x20 quarrellers w/crossbow, shields
x14 slayers
x1 bolt thrower
x1 cannon

The troll slayers and warriors also have a full command, so what i need is you guys to help me come up with a legal and durible 1250pts list with what i've got here, i do plan on getting more when i have some spare money.

Thanx in advance.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
There arent a huge number of WFB players here on heresy... and you are waiting for a dwarf player to come along, read your post and to make a list up out of your units, you'll need much more patience for something like that.

If you want to get more active help from more of the community then design a list yourself and ask for suggestiong and comments about it- there are a lot of people who, like me, might know a bit from playing dwarves but not enough to make an army. I have enough experience playing against dwarves to be able to offer a little insight and aid in tweeking an army list... but certainly not enough to just design an army off the top of my head. I could do it with the dwarf book and an hour or so (and have done so before for other armies) but Im a bit busy currently.

·
Registered
564 Posts
ok, here's the problem - with what you have, you aren't going to make a fantastic army.

it'll be ok, but not great. is there scope for a) more models coming in, or b) using some of those models as proxies to boost other units?

·
Registered
564 Posts
nah, just more numbers and perhaps an organ gun at this stage.

i've written a list, which isn't something i normally do for others, but i'm bored on a bank holiday.

now this isn't a great list, but its a starting point:

1250 Pts - Dwarfs Roster

Dwarf Lord (1#, 216 pts)
1 Dwarf Lord @ 216 pts (Always Strikes Last; General; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Gromril Armor)
1 Runic Armor (Rune of Preservation; Rune of Stone)
1 Runic Talisman (Master Rune of Spite)

Dwarf Warriors (30#, 380 pts)
29 Longbeards @ 380 pts (Upgrade to Longbeards; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Veteran (Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Runic Standard (Rune of Battle)

Quarellers (10#, 125 pts)
10 Quarrellers @ 125 pts (Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Crossbow; Light Armour; Shield)

Quarellers (10#, 125 pts)
10 Quarrellers @ 125 pts (Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Crossbow; Light Armour; Shield)

Artillery Battery (4#, 135 pts)
1 Cannon @ 135 pts (Rune of Forging; Rune of Reloading; Cannon)
3 Crew (Hand Weapon; Light Armour)

Artillery Battery (4#, 120 pts)
1 Organ Gun @ 120 pts
3 Crew (Hand Weapon; Light Armour)

Runesmith (1#, 145 pts)
1 Runesmith @ 145 pts (Hand Weapon; Gromril Armor)
1 Runic Talisman (Master Rune of Balance; Rune of Spellbreaking x1)

now your list of models is leaning towards gunline anyway, so i've just played about with it a bit.

ordinarily i wouldn't uild a list with a lord, but since the nature of the list is at it is, it makes sense to make the main combat unit as good as it can be, so a lord means you can make it longbeards which not only makes them better fighters and immune to panic, but means they help the other units stay in place.

splitting the quarrellers up means that they can split their fire if needed, and act as two seperate support units in combat.

the runesmith means that you can be a bit sneaky in the magic phase by reducing their power dice and adding it to yours - on top of that you get an auto +1 to dispel without having to declare a 'wizard' is doing it and so risk losing concentration. oh, with this list there is also room to give him a great weapon

the cannon is a fairly normal kit out, you may even want to add rune of burning to that if you can find a point.

organ gun is fairly self explanatory, mine are feared as they invariably average 8 shots a round.

so, this is just a quick five minute list i didn't put much thught in to, so don't use it as is, but i hope it gives you a base

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanx for the help i understand its not to go with but thanx for helping anyway. I will be getting more stuff this wkend so will hopfully be able to make a better list and play around with the the suggestions made on here.

Thanx again.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I think the slayers are good for a small flanking unit. 15x2 quarrelers with 2hw is better than 10x2. 29 Longbears is just about right. I'd drop the Rune Priest for a BSB with the Oath stone to ensure the longbeards when they are surrounded will be able to hold out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I usually give the longbeards great weapons as they are almost better than hammerers these days. I definitely agree with Creon, although a lot of dwarf players shun the slayers they are awesome death star killers as you can just throw them in and they will always hit high toughness on a 4+.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts