Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is my list i think it works with both sets of rules..
help with any improvements please, i am just starting the stunties.

rune lord
anvil of doom
2x rune of spell breaking
rune of stone
rune of striking
275 points

dwarf warriors x20
sheilds & full command

dwarf warriors x20
sheilds & full command

long beards x20
fullcommand
banner rune of courage

long beards x20
full command
banner rune of guarding

thunderers x10
shields
full command
rangers

miners x20
full command

miners x20
full command

my aim would be to get each squad of miners on each side of the enemies army while the warriors walk infront of the long beards and the thunderers sit in a tree line and try kill anything kinda big

what do you think??

·
Registered
564 Posts
your line is strong, but you don't have nearly enough missile troops.

i'd drop a unit of warriors in order to purchase perhaps an orgun gun or 2, switch a longbeard unit to be a 15+ strong unit of Ironbreakers or Hammerers and try and squeeze in at least one more unit of thunderers.

thunderer units need only take shields and musicians. rank them up next to a combat unit in two ranks, fire as much as you can then use them as support come combat.

miners need only be 15 strong.

rune wise for the units, i tend to keep it simple with runes of battle, stoicism and the like

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I disagree on the missile troops. Fighting dwarfs (as opposed to a gunline) is extremely viable-- Dwarves don't run, have good armor, and high toughness. I actually have a harder time (as a Warriors of Chaos player, I might add) fighting a fighting dwarf army than a shooting dwarf army.

Keep in mind that in Fantasy, your decisions on the table are FAR more important than what you actually bring. So if what you've got on the list works for you, keep it. Suggestions you read in Fantasy army list threads are just suggestions of what works for other people-- ultimately, there's no simple mechanical fix to make an army better like in 40k.

With that in mind, there are a couple things in the list you probably don't need. Firstly, the Thunderers don't need to be Rangers. They also don't particularly need a banner or champion. Secondly, I'm not sure you need two units of Warriors-- I'd take those points, and get a couple Thanes. That means one of the units of Longbeards needs to go, but those points are also probably better spent elsewhere-- you'll still easily meet the 500-point Core requirement without them by keeping the Thunderers, a unit of Warriors, and a unit of Longbeards. Then, you can spend those points on an elite Special unit such as Ironbreakers.

Either way, I think you'll find the army vastly more successful if you put a couple Thanes in-- one just as a fighter, perhaps with an oathstone; and the other as a Battle Standard Bearer. Characters exponentially bolster the effectiveness of units, and with only the Runelord hammering on the anvil, I think you'll find your units will crumble to enemy elite infantry without a whole lot of contest. A unit of Warriors of Chaos lead by an Exalted Hero, for example, will hack its way through any of the units you've got, but if you've got a Thane in the unit they're fighting, then that changes pretty drastically, and it can actually be an uphill battle for the Warriors. Thanes don't need to be heavily loaded up on runes-- they just need to be able to kill something, keep the leadership of the unit high, and possibly drop an oathstone to stall the enemy advance for several turns (which is often enough time for your units to redeploy or maneuver to an advantageous position to eliminate the enemy line.)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok new and improved army list, i made this after seeing the horde rule (attacking in 3 ranks with more than 10 files in a squad)

rune lord
anvil of doom
2x runes of spell breaking
rune of stone
rune of spell breaking

2x thane
2x great weapons
2x sheild
2x oath stone

50x dwarf warrior
sheilds
great weapons
full command

50x dwarf warrior
sheilds
great weapons
full command

10x thunderers
sheilds
veteran

10x thunderers
sheilds
veteran

10x miners
fullcommand

the thanes will go in the warrior squads and drop the oath stone when in trouble.
with them i should nearly always get the 3 ranks attacking (30 str5 ws4 attacks).
then have the thunderers following in the side shooting as much as possible. and the miners comming along on the side with the most cannons of casters that may cause sever damage to large aboutnt of my poor dwarves.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I swear to you the hoard rule is not all THAT awesome. Dwarves are much better off with two squads of 20 over a single squad of 40 to make it worse you have them in 50s! I only ever do that with cheap spear units for the extra attacks. with two units of 20-25 you have a support unit that can hit the enemy flank next turn and negate their rank bonus. Most units won't be running more than 5 ranks (unless they are counting on the steadfast rule) so the second unit will not only disrupt their line but also give the =1 flank bonus and steadfast to your troops. Units of 50 for gobox zombies and slaves, absolutly. 50s for anything that can hold it's own for a turn or three, not in my list. I can make better use of those points elsewhere. Try taking those 50s, trimm them down to two 20s, full command in each then drop in an extra unit of thunderers or quarrelers to support before combat.

Also, great weapons AND shields? Choose one or the other. You no longer have the choice of which you will use when you hit combat. If you cary any weapon that is not a hand weapon you are forced to use it. makes the shield good for nothing except ranged defense. use terrain, thunderers or your inate toughness for that. (PS, remember that ranged units fire in two ranks now so you can easily slide a ranged unit between two combat units without messing your line up too much.) Also, your grudge throwers may fire indirectly now. Finally, cannons grape shot is now fired like an organ gun with range 12" and you have to roll to hit. I would highly recomend them as cannons can use runes unlike organ guns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts