Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already chosen what I like, but I want to hear from others on what is the better choice. Pure Deathwing, Ravenwing, Dark Angels, or a mix of all? I am actually going with a mix of DW and DA. Thoughts, Comments?

·
Registered
592 Posts
The double-wing (DeathWing and RavenWing) is probably the best combo in the codex, while pure Deathwing and pure Ravenwing both being competetive in their own right.

The doublewing can be deadly if used correctly, but is very unforgiving (no pun intended).

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
To be truly competitive some will say you will need a mix..DW/RW with Predators and/or Vindis, because the 5th Ed SM Codex(es) are more top tier than the DA one, plus many of the options etc are cheaper.
However, for me DW is all about the background so I always only play pure DW - Termi's, LR and Dreads...I've played this way for years and have had very good success.

To each their own:eek:k:

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I also go with the mix of DA and DW for the main army and occasionally I will add fast elements from the ravenwing in it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I say a complete mix of all 3

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
i use RW with regular DA and some DW and have had a pretty good run with them. use whatever you want and stick with what you like even if others say its bad or hard to use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Forgive me for asking but how would this split army list,lets say for example of 1500 points DW & RW compeat against a mass horde of 1500 points of tyranids? Wouldnt you be drouned in a tide of mass attacks and bodys? and and maybe some one explaine to me how this army is suposed to work?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
the RW would hopefully ride around the board shooting at small or cut off units and only assaulting when certain of victory while DW termi's teleport near the RW bikers because of the attached homer and use the heavy weapon to thin out any unit before the assault. thats how i would try and play it terrain, enemy list and of course die rolls permitting.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Only recentally starting playing DW...one game infact.

DW are indeed an awful lot of fun, but I bet can get a little frustrating.

RW are out classed by a regular space marine bike army. The only plus for the RW is Sammy, who is either a flying plasma cannon, or a monster speeder.

DA themselves a little bland, and have nothing going for them that puts them ahead of the vanilla codex.

So, a combined roce would have to make use of Sammy, and probably Azrael, seeing as he gives his entire squad 4++...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Forgive me for asking but how would this split army list,lets say for example of 1500 points DW & RW compeat against a mass horde of 1500 points of tyranids? Wouldnt you be drouned in a tide of mass attacks and bodys? and and maybe some one explaine to me how this army is suposed to work?
You'd have to use your mobility and superior resilience to whittle away at the bugs. Fearless means DW/RW never want to be in assault, so they keep moving and shooting. It's a tricky army to play, but a lot of fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You'd have to use your mobility and superior resilience to whittle away at the bugs. Fearless means DW/RW never want to be in assault, so they keep moving and shooting. It's a tricky army to play, but a lot of fun.
:) Sounds very fun to run around and just bite at the ankles of your opponent and keep your distance :) you would so @#~:ireful2: me off lol but there is only so much time before you have to bite the bullet so what would a army list of you done one and any one else to combat a horde army of nids and lets say chuck a cupple of hive tyrants? im very intrigued as from what i know you have to take one of the DA SC and doesnt this army lack on some what anit tank (are the bikes fitting this role?) and number of bodys(i take is thats the t5 bikes and 2+ armor saves are relied upon?)

·
Registered
257 Posts
RW is the DA's best Anti Mech units by far IMHO. You can give your bikes 2 melta guns and then throw in an attack bike with multi-melta for 50 pts. When I use them they are pure tank hunting purposes only. I really frown upon Deathwing Assault so most of the time my assault termies are in LRC's and my squads with guns are walking up behind.

I'm starting to try to mix in some regular elements with tact squads and maybe a devastator squad. Still yet to try that out though.

DW, DA, & RW can be competitive in their own use, but require a lot of finesse as they are heavy on points compared to vanilla marines and lack the numbers when using all bikes or terms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im sorry but im not acquainted with the term "vanilla marines" is this a stab at the EPIC codex of rape that is the 5th ed spacemarines codex?

and you say that your RW are an anti tank force? fair play but how on earth do you "HUNT" A CANFIEX! let alone a MC please enlighten lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
I let my lascannon LR, dakka dread, or heavy weapons pick them from a distance and then let my thunder hammers and power fists finish them off.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
if Rw is tank hunting they usaully have 2 meltas. str8 hurts most on 2+ and scout moved up for a invuln before first turn if going 2 or first turn bitch slap going first.

·
Registered
648 Posts
2 meltas on a scouting Biker unit gets anti-tank where you need it fast. For anti-mech at range it's up to TLAC/ML Dreads, Autolas Preds, Cyclones, and maybe Razorbacks.

Generally, I'll take Belial and Sammael. Belial makes Terminators Troops, which is awesome, and Sammael gives me a very shooty skimmer with AV14. Beyond that, Dreads and Preds fill out support while RW/DW do all the scoring stuff.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sammael is generally overpriced for a anything below 2000 points in my opinion. I can see it being valid in a 1750 army, but the list would have to be minimal in other ways to maximize use of points. This for a doublewing army, of course.

Always keep this in mind: For a Ravenwing Attack Squad, the Land Speeder and Attack Bike are alway scoring. Always. With or without Sammel :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've found that my regular Dark Angels don't do much to compliment my DW and that DW / RW is a much more viable, and when played flawlessly, pretty effective army. I do however stress playing them flawlessly because Cruor99 is absolutely correct and they can be an unforgiving force to play.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts