Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

now i may play 40k and BB alot, but out of pure curiosity, does anyone here play D&D in a forum, or online at all? its a game ive always been interested in, but ive only read the 2nd ed players handbook, im wondering where i can get rulebooks and players, i know the game, well, well enough

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you're looking for D&D books, I'd suggest a used book store. There is a chain of stores where I live called Half-Priced Books that has a pretty exhaustive section devoted to gamer paraphernalia, and since it's used, it's all very economical. The core D&D books rarely run more than 10 bucks a pop at most used book stores, and if you're going for an older edition, they might cost even less. I acquired the rulebooks for both 40K and WFB, both in good condition, for only 15 bucks a go (and hardbound, no less!).

·
Registered
138 Posts
D&D is in version 3.5. The rules are essentially the same, with a few clarifications where necessary. The only things that really changed between versions 3 and 3.5 are the way a few skills and feats work, making 3.5 feel more like an accessory than a new ruleset.

That said, while I really enjoy D&D, I've sort of cooled on the D20 system. Rolling that same lonely D20 over and over is kind of a bummer. Me, I want to send great garish gobs of 6-siders gallivanting across the table with every roll. I want combat resolutions that take two hands to settle. I wanna reach into the ol' dice bucket and let the innards slip between my fingers like a mad prospector that just struck the motherlode.

Ahem. In summary, 3.5. :drunk:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Best place for d&d books at the moment is ebay or there are tons of resources out there if your willing o spend the time downloading and printing. Ive pretty much gone off of d&d since they created 3rd ed d&d's appeal was how basic it was if your going to put the effort in you might as well play rolemaster, theres just so much more out there for it.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I've recently gotten into D&D in a serious way, and I'm hooked. I love the combat system, and I love being able to pick up a random Reaper model, paint it up, and be able to find a way to do something more than stick it on my shelf and look at it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
same here, all my buddies play d and d but only about 5 play 40k. but that being said, i enjoy 40k more.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I like the depth of the story available in d&d-- a game of 40k doesn't have that kind of story to it. Unfortunately, the manager of the local store is a punk and she decided to axe D&D night because we weren't buying enough books (but 4th ed is coming out, and it's not backwards compatible, so...why?!) so we're currently figuring out where we can continue our campaign. By the way, Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave is an EXCELLENT module. I highly reccomend it. It's crazy hard if you play it as written, and ideally need at least three very choppy characters in the party (of which I was the choppiest in my group!), but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I like the depth of the story available in d&d-- a game of 40k doesn't have that kind of story to it. Unfortunately, the manager of the local store is a punk and she decided to axe D&D night because we weren't buying enough books (but 4th ed is coming out, and it's not backwards compatible, so...why?!) so we're currently figuring out where we can continue our campaign. .

Wow, that SUCKS! That's ridiculous. Nobody's buying the current books now.

Yeah, I've played a LOT of D&D over the years.
Kinda tapered off the past year or so, but I've had a lot of fun with it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I decided that there were simply too many D&D books when I was browsing my local bookstore and discovered a sourcebook that was devoted entirely to what I believe were intelligent magic items.

That said, I'm not making the switch over the 4th Edition, having spent way too much money on 3rd Edition to simply give it all up.

·
Banned
677 Posts
The entirety of the basic rules are freely given online, for the Open d20 License.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

Enjoy.

Been playing d&d for over a decade now, and I'm still back and forth about 3e and 3.5. We'll see how 4e looks. And I'm an avid Forgotten Realms player & DM, being the local Sage on the great campaign setting.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've been playing and dm-ing D&D now for almost 17 years (dam i'm old) right from the first edtion and upto the current 3.5, from the beautiful dragon lance to ravenloft and also forgotten realms.

But i've just moved close to reading/newbury (south of england) where there seems to be no gamers !!! So if anyone out there does play or wants to then pm me :)

NEED A D&D FIX :)

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I feel your pain. The local store manager is very anti-D&D for some reason... as well as rather anti 40k and Fantasy... I think it's because she's French Canadian and you know how the French are about fighting. But the point is, she killed our D&D night, so I too am without my fix. I'm always the tank... but... holy. I play a fighter, and just use magic items and the like to sort of fake a paladin, because I like having lots of feats, don't necessarily want to be lawful good, but still want the whole holy warrior thing going on. It works quite well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Surely it can't be an anti-violence motivation. I mean, are there any games that DON'T rely heavily on violence? I think there used to be a SimCity card game.

·
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman
564 Posts
I got my gaming start with D&D, back when I was all of eight, and it was simple, basic D&D (back in 1980... holy balls, I'm an Old One!) as my brother and his friends were learning to play, and they needed another body.

I had recently seen the cartoon of The Hobbit for the first time, and played a Dwarf.

Been an RPG Addict ever since.

At one point, I think I had almost the entire range of 2nd. Ed. Advanced D&D stuff, as I was pretty much the only guy at Eglin AFB that anyone would want to DM a game or campaign.

That said, I really dislike the d20 System.

It's too simple, and it doesn't really cover all types of game adequately, to me.

There's especially my distaste for having Star Wars characters functioning exactly like D&D characters...

Anyway, I still think that 2nd. Edition had a lot more character and atmosphere.

I haven't been near enough to nay of my friends who play RPGs in over a year and a half, but the last games we played were Heroes Unlimited by Palladium, and ODS' Battlelords of the 23rd Century.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Surely it can't be an anti-violence motivation. I mean, are there any games that DON'T rely heavily on violence? I think there used to be a SimCity card game.
The game store here also sells (quite extensively) "family games" --your basic Monopoly type things-- as well as puzzles and things of that nature. It's not really an anti-violence motivation, it was just something vaguely mean to say because she's evil. She plays Magic, I think... but anyway, that's not the point. The point is, she killed D&D night. And the real reason is because --get this-- we didn't buy books. Now, when 4th edition is coming out, and we already have the PHB and appropriate class-related book from the Complete series, why buy something else? Especially when those same dollars can be turned into plastic spacemen that worship a dead man 38,000 years from now?

·
Registered
138 Posts
You know, looking back on it, I never really owned any 2nd Edition products. I didn't DM back then, I just used other folks' guidebooks. I didn't really start buying D&D stuff until about the time 3rd Edition came out. At the time, I recall lots of fans grousing about how they'd been jilted; their dozens of AD&D books had suddenly become obsolete. I scoffed at them. Grouchy ol' kooks!

Now that 4th Edition's on the horizon, I find myself one of the grouchy ol' kooks. I've been jilted!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts