Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does it seem to anyone else that the 40k rules set is being deliberately dumbed down so all the little kids who are new to the hobby can play it?

i used to think that was bollocks, but with the releases of new codexs im not so sure. cant pick how many marines you want in your squad? well now you only have the option of 5 or 10 men. cant handle an armoury? well now have a plasma pistol and a power fist.

it would seem anything a seven year old cant handle is being hit with jervis nerf stick. overwatch anyone?

im considering leaving 40k altogether to play fantasy. thats a crying shame.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i AGREE,ALTHOUGH THE 12 YEAR OLDS THAT GO TO MY HOBBY STORE REALLY ARENT THAT STUPID.i REALLY DONT SEE WHY GW FEELS THEY NEED TO DUMB THE GAME DOWN.MOST OF THE KIDS THAT ARE INTERESTED IN THESE TYPES OF GAMES ARE USUALLY QUITE INTELLIGENT(NERDS).....AT LEAST THE ONES DOWN HERE IN MIAMI.AGAIN THOUGH I DO AGREE WITH YOU 100% ALTHOUGH I DONT THINK ILL HAVE THE STOMACH TO QUIT.....IVE PAINTED MY DEATHGUARD TOO WELL TO GIVE UP ON THEM.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Yep, you've hit the nail on the head, all you need to do is look at WD and comapare it to the WD's that were coming out about 1 and half years ago, completely different magazine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think this has alot more truth to it than anyone wants to admit. Is it that 40K is getting dumber to make the game flow easier? Or is it getting dumber because kids today are getting dumber?

I know which one i think is right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have to agree with you there. i remember the time when 40k was a big boy (lol) game and the gw staff suggesting to wait till your about 13 but now we have god dam 7 year olds think they can field an army of fantasy orks and passing them off as space orks. also now the rules are simpler there are a lot more rule smart asses, whothink they know everything about the game :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
God, as much as I hate to admit it, it seems you're right. I remember the first time I walked into a GW store, I was watching all of the guys playing games at the gaming tables. I was like 10, maybe 11, and I remember, when I expressed an interest in playing too, the store guy said I had to be 13 or older to play. Now I walk in to pick up paints or a model (Yeah, I buy from GW, sue me) and I'll see little ten year olds in the "Academy" class, all learning how to paint their space marines nice and shiny. Moneywise, it's smart, expanding their fanbase to include younger kids who, especially around where I live, have a lot of disposable income. But it also alienates the people who've been playing since the 80s. Now, I'm only sixteen, so I don't know if I'm included in your rant, but that's just my two cents.

EDIT: And, in the grand scheme of things, who takes marine squads of anything but five or ten guys? Taking odd numbered squads is pointless.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cadian81st said:
EDIT: And, in the grand scheme of things, who takes marine squads of anything but five or ten guys? Taking odd numbered squads is pointless.

I think you probably mean anything but five or ten, as last I checked, five was an odd number ;). Seriously though, taking 6 or 8 man squads is somewhat common. I don't play Marines, but what I do play the squads end up just shy of max. Better to split into two squads of smaller numbers for tactical advantage.

And yes. I feel the same exact way about the game. I don't bother playing at my local game store because one, it's a total pain to get to, and two, the gamers that play there haven't hit puberty yet. Call me a hypocrite for complaining about kids and being only 17 myself, but I'll be damned if someone compares me to one of them. I consider myself far more intelligent than the majority of people around here. Age =/= intelligence.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Frankly, the game is more playable than Second. It was nice and all to have all the extra in-depth rules, but too many people gloss over the gaping flaws and laughable powergaming exploits with the Power of Nostalgia.

40K could do with a bit more detail, but not that much.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Further thought on the subject has led me in the direction of a Cityfight-type add-on to 40k. Keep the system as it is now, but add another codex (yeah, I know) that goes a bit more in-depth and makes the system a little more complicated and meaty for those of us who want it.

Of course it'll never happen that way, but it would most certainly be a good thing. Perhaps I'll sit down with my regular gaming buddies and draft it up. I can already think of a couple things I would change, like the stream-lined AP system. Scrap that, add back in roll modifiers.

Edit: Simple isn't always bad, though. It only took me a month to memorize stat lines and weapon attributes, making play much smoother and letting the rulebook gather a little dust.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
But taking away the customizability is just wrong. I mean, sure most people only use five things from the 30 thing armory, and hardly anyone takes certain doctrines and traits, and there are certain units that don't get used very often, but they're there! That's what's important. There are so many different styles of gaming, modeling and painting, that it would just be cruel on GW's part to streamline the rules to the point that it starts affecting those aspects as well.

And yeah, my bad, 5's an odd number.

·