Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all im currently getting some pods to transport my dreads in , do u guys leave the middle sections( where marines are strapped in) out when u build a pod for a dread? is there like an unwritten rule about it?

to me if I leave it out wouldn't I be at a disadvantage as it gives a clear LOS through the pod?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
1st drop podds never block lune of sight..so dont worry about that..
2nd..if its always going to be for him then yea i take them out..but what i do is cut the dome on the base of and place a missle launcher on top of rhino hatces in its place..to make it look like it comes out of the floor..
but in the end its your models so do as you wish..

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
1st drop podds never block lune of sight..so dont worry about that..
How in the Imperium do you figure that? It's a vehicle, and vehicles block line of sight. Is this just another one of those things you say because you have a keyboard, or do you actually have a Codex or BRB reference that states 'Drop Pods do not block line of sight'?

The only thing that remotely resembles what you're saying is that once the hatches on a pod are opened they are ignored, which only really affects movement though, as your opponent can't place models within 1" of yours....and now that I look for the text that supports even that much in a Codex/FAQ I can't find it.

@kickboxerdog, there's absolutely nothing that stops you from playing Dreadnoughts out of a pod the way it's supplied in the box. If you feel as though you're modeling for advantage, try magnetizing the centre piece in so you can use it or not depending on the contents. It shouldn't be too much of a task if magnets are something you use regularly, the only thing you wouldn't be able to include are the cable-looking bits that connect the chairs to the fins of the pod (if you follow me). Personally I assembled all of my pods the way the instructions in the box told me to and if someone told me I was modeling for advantage I'd simply not play against them. I've no patience for that kind of opponent, specially since I am no high-stakes tournament player.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
How in the Imperium do you figure that? It's a vehicle, and vehicles block line of sight. Is this just another one of those things you say because you have a keyboard, or do you actually have a Codex or BRB reference that states 'Drop Pods do not block line of sight'?

The only thing that remotely resembles what you're saying is that once the hatches on a pod are opened they are ignored, which only really affects movement though, as your opponent can't place models within 1" of yours....and now that I look for the text that supports even that much in a Codex/FAQ I can't find it.

./QUOTE]

Pg 14 BRB line of sight..
"for one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace a straight unblocked line from its body to any part of the targets"

so therefore unless you are being a complete DICK..a drop pod can be fired through giving up a cover save of course...if you glued you doors shut then you should be giving benefit of the doubt to your opponent unless of course your a WAAC player.
the game is supposed to be fun..

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

./QUOTE]

Pg 14 BRB line of sight..
"for one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace a straight unblocked line from its body to any part of the targets"

so therefore unless you are being a complete DICK..a drop pod can be fired through giving up a cover save of course...if you glued you doors shut then you should be giving benefit of the doubt to your opponent unless of course your a WAAC player.
the game is supposed to be fun..
Unless you can physically see the target from a models eye point of view, then there is no LoS. And WAACplayers benefit from having drop pods with their arms out for the grratest possible move more than a 3" square LoS blocker

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I build mine without the child safety seats, mainly because they're a pain to build and stick in there and without them the pod itself is easier to paint IMHO.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok cool cool , im thinking with my dread nought one ill leave it free , ive got 2 already fully built for my sternguard

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
LoS (and just fatmantis in general) aside, after looking at my pods I think you'd also have to magnetize a fin to get the centre piece out. Not a ton more work, but still tedious.

Either way, it wouldn't be the first time a transport and its contents didn't match up in this game.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Haven't seen a DP with the center magnetized. That would be fairly cool, have seen the door hinges magnitized so the could be removed when it deployed. As to LoS, even with the thing wide open it can often block LoS depending on terrain and models view. I use DP'S all the time to make my own LoS and cover for advancing units.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Haven't seen a DP with the center magnetized.
Whenever I get around to expanding from three to five I'll take a whack at it, since I typically do play two dreadnoughts out of pods. Can't say it'll be any time soon though as I've got to get some (a friggin' ton) of painting done before I can justify buying more.

Eh'... Why not just count the drop pod as 3+ cover and be done with it?
If you can draw line of sight through an enemy unit it's a 5+ cover save (same goes for friendly models in another unit). Though as scscofield pointed out, and I have also experienced in my own gaming, sometimes drawing LoS through a pod can be more troublesome than you think.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Whenever I get around to expanding from three to five I'll take a whack at it, since I typically do play two dreadnoughts out of pods. Can't say it'll be any time soon though as I've got to get some (a friggin' ton) of painting done before I can justify buying more.

If you can draw line of sight through an enemy unit it's a 5+ cover save (same goes for friendly models in another unit). Though as scscofield pointed out, and I have also experienced in my own gaming, sometimes drawing LoS through a pod can be more troublesome than you think.
That's why I'd treat it as a 3+, or at least a 4+. Vehicles can block LOS, but drop pods are fuzzy enough that you find a nice mid point between invincible (which one effectively is against someone who can't draw LOS) and zero-cover.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Guys, BRB covers this under Intervening Models (pg.38 DV mini-book) quite succinctly. If you're shooting through a third unit (ie. not the firing unit or the unit being targeted) there's a 5+ cover save regardless of the 25% obscured clause, unless your LoS is completely blocked. If you can't see it, then -surprise surprise- you can't shoot at that target (unless we get into Barrage weapons).

If you absolutely need to home-brew a rule for pods that's cool, but it really is covered already.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Guys, BRB covers this under Intervening Models (pg.38 DV mini-book) quite succinctly. If you're shooting through a third unit (ie. not the firing unit or the unit being targeted) there's a 5+ cover save regardless of the 25% obscured clause, unless your LoS is completely blocked. If you can't see it, then -surprise surprise- you can't shoot at that target (unless we get into Barrage weapons).

If you absolutely need to home-brew a rule for pods that's cool, but it really is covered already.
What about trajectory? Ya know, I can't see you but will guess where you are and fire wildly in the air!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
LoS (and just fatmantis in general) aside, after looking at my pods I think you'd also have to magnetize a fin to get the centre piece out. Not a ton more work, but still tedious.

Either way, it wouldn't be the first time a transport and its contents didn't match up in this game.
why ignore what i said?? i proved you wrong??? you must be fun to play with..
its quite clear you can see what it says about line of sight and intervening models..so why be so snarky?
not everybody wants to play your way..some people do play for fun

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
it actually quite easy..no more difficult than working out which models could fire around a building or obstacle etc

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
if you do magnetize the center piece..do a tutorial on how you do it..would be really interesting to see how you achieve it..

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
i proved you wrong
Can you see the 5 silver base coated Grey Knights behind my Drop Pod? I promise you they are there. It didn't take more than 5 seconds of positioning, and it's how I've limited casualties on close combat squads Deep Striking way too close to enemy firepower more than once.

so therefore unless you are being a complete DICK..a drop pod can be fired through giving up a cover save of course
Right. I'm the only one that's being snarky. Shall we move on?

if you do magnetize the center piece..do a tutorial on how you do it..would be really interesting to see how you achieve it..
I post pretty much everything I accomplish within this hobby here, so whenever it happens it will be posted. Not likely for a few months though, I have some other much larger purchases to make this year before getting back to models (not to mention all of the painting backlog). Really though, the Drop Pod is one of the simplest kits I have ever put together. All it would take is a couple magnets drilled into the final fin so that it is removable and you can get the control console and chairs out. The central piece itself it pretty minimally attached anyway, like I said before the only thing you'd have to leave out are the cables connecting the chairs to the fins. It would take a handful of magnets and a bit of time drilling out holes and checking polarities, but I don't foresee it being much of a task.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts