Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Nectar of the Gods!
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the turn that the drop pod arrives... can it fire its Deathwind Missile Launcher? I ask this as it is listed as a Heavy 1, and it technically moved (fell from the sky) and therefore cannot fire... or can it?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Drop pods can't fire ANY weapons on the turn they land.
They have moved at crusing speed and are not fast (the only vehicle type that CAN still fire after this).
Doesn't matter if it's just the storm bolter or the upgraded launcher.
If it has nothing in its entry that over-rides the non-fast vehicle at cruising speed firing x weapons, then it cannot.
(Black Templar pods may be able to).

The FW pod is a different matter.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Should have seen the guy trying to argue that Tyranid Mycetic Spores cannot fire the turn they deepstrike in because they also move at Cruising Speed.

He actually went so far as to call the judge over. To his credit the judge tried real hard not to laugh at him. All he did is ask the guy what a creature's crusing speed is.

The guy turned beet red and told me to continue. Sigh.. Good times.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just a side note but the weapon type has no effect when firing vehicles, ie you can move and fire heavy weapons. The restriction is based on the speed the vehicle moved, which in this case is cruising speed, hence no firing.

BT drop pods do fire on the turn they land, as their entry in the codex says they do, hence overriding the normal rules.

·
Registered
465 Posts
When you assault a drop pod on the first turn it comes in do you hit on 6s since it moved at cruising speed or auto hit since it comes down immobilized?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Page 63 of the BRB states that you auto hit any vehicle without a WS that was stationary in the previous turn, or is Immobilized.

Drop pods are auto immobilized on entry, thus always get auto hit.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Out of curiosity ware does it say that the Drop Pod has moved at cruising speed? as all I can find in the SM codex is that they deep strike,
If your playing the "well they drop from the sky" card then also think If you built a macine that can drop from space and disgorge 10 men in a state to fight then you could make a gun on it fire?

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Immobilized is a status, once it is that way it remains that way (barring a repair of some kind) so it supersedes the movement rate.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Immobilized is a status, once it is that way it remains that way (barring a repair of some kind) so it supersedes the movement rate.
Just a quickie on this ... if an enemy vehicle got immobilized during the enemies shooting phase after the vehicle moved 12" it then becomes an auto hit on my turn? Ork gun fired at my guys and scattered onto his own vehicle and it ended up immobile. just for reference.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes, in fact it can be faster then that.
Here's a good example from my own games.

Broodlord and a squad of Genestealers assault a rhino that moved 12" last turn.

At initiative 7, the broodlord goes first, and scores a single hit thanks to only hitting on 6's. He glances and ends up immobilizing the rhino.

At initiative 6, the rest of the brood goes next, and they all auto-hit due to the vehicle being immobilized.

Doesn't seem very realistic, I agree, but 'dems da rules'.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes, in fact it can be faster then that.
Here's a good example from my own games.

Broodlord and a squad of Genestealers assault a rhino that moved 12" last turn.

At initiative 7, the broodlord goes first, and scores a single hit thanks to only hitting on 6's. He glances and ends up immobilizing the rhino.

At initiative 6, the rest of the brood goes next, and they all auto-hit due to the vehicle being immobilized.

Doesn't seem very realistic, I agree, but 'dems da rules'.

Ummmmm... No.

BRB pg 63 Table in left hand column "Attacking a vehicle that is immobilised or was stationary in its previous turn >>> Automattic hit"

The only times when you get an automatic hit are:

1. When a vehicle is immobile
2. When a vehicle has not moved in it's movement phase (pivoting does not count as moving)
3. When a vehicle has been immobilised in another (i.e. not this one) turn (firend or foe) and is still immobilised or hasn't moved (i.e. repairs)

Examples:
1. Drop pod lands in players turn. Opponent assaults, as it is now immobile; automatic hits.
2. Vehicle does move in players turn. Opponent assaults vehicle; automatic hits.
3. Vehicle fails dangerous terrain test and becomes immobilised in players turn. Opponents assaults; automatic hits.

4. Player shoots vehicle and causes immobilised result. Player assaults vehicle; NOT automatic hits. The vehicle was not immobilised in the previous turn.
5. Player assaults vehicle with different initiative values. Highest causes immobilised, lower initiatives assault; NOT automatic hits. The vehicle was not immobilised in the previous turn.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Just reread the Rule and that is incorrect Epetus

The phrasing is "Attacking a vehicle that is immobilised or was stationary in its previous turn"

If you had to have been Immobilised last turn it would say 'Was immobilised' But it doesn't. It only looks for things which are Immobilised, not things that were immobilised.

Aramoro

·
Registered
49 Posts
Refutal of a vehicle hit on 6's when immobilized earlier in the same combat round....
You're wrong here actually. Since the attacks come in initiative order and the vehicle is immobilized when it's time for the regular stealers to strike, it is autohit.

I refer you to your own #1, the vehicle is in fact immobile when it's time to strike at I6 in this case.

·
Registered
493 Posts
A very interesting counter. I have always taken it as something like...

Attacking a vehicle that [was] immobilised in its previous turn or was stationary in its last turn

I retract my statement, you learn something new everyday.

(Platton, when trying to quote, make sure you get it right... The quote you have attributed to me is not mine.)

Back to the topic anyone?

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
for shits and giggles riddle me this then ... same scenario kind of:
Trukk moves 13" on orks turn (RPJ), then it becomes the fearless Blood Ravens turn (me) I shoot him up with meltaguns. He told me that I needed 6's to hit. I told him piss off, I am shooting, not assaulting .... ..... ..... was I wrong, and do I need to say I am sorry for trampling his feelings?:shok:

·
Registered
49 Posts
A very interesting counter. I have always taken it as something like...

Attacking a vehicle that [was] immobilised in its previous turn or was stationary in its last turn

I retract my statement, you learn something new everyday.

(Platton, when trying to quote, make sure you get it right... The quote you have attributed to me is not mine.)

Back to the topic anyone?
Ooops, sorry. Other forums which I hang out on frown deeply on block-quoting, so I thought I'd boil it down. And managed to change the meaning completely. Go me.

OT: Normal pods can't fire since they've moved @cruising speed, BT pods are worded as always being able to fire when they land, but that's the only deviation I can find.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
for shits and giggles riddle me this then ... same scenario kind of:
Trukk moves 13" on orks turn (RPJ), then it becomes the fearless Blood Ravens turn (me) I shoot him up with meltaguns. He told me that I needed 6's to hit. I told him piss off, I am shooting, not assaulting .... ..... ..... was I wrong, and do I need to say I am sorry for trampling his feelings?:shok:
Pg. 60 "if the target Vehicle is in range, roll to hit as normal" so his feelings were trampled appropriately.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Wow that was some really ballsy rules shenanigans, Tal. You did it right despite your opponent.

OT, Tal, your avatar is severely outdated!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts