Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some sneek peeks of my custom built drop pods. The door closes with the dreadnought still inside. When I'm done, I'll post an article/tutorial on how to build them.

·
Links Manager
1,007 Posts
Normally not that big a fan of big, boxed things, but this is really starting to
look and seems very functional at the same time.

Would be one mean looking battle barge/ thunderhawke that would be dropping these. Death from the skies :wink:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. Since a dreadnought is essentially a fighting sarcophagus I wanted to continue the "death" aspect of them by having drop pods that looked like mausoleums or small chapels.

It's only about half done. I have lots of bits I'm going to be adding to give it a better look and feel. I still have to hinge the front door.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Great uses of the Cities of death scenery for making your pod. I used some for Dumpy the drop pod too, but diff bits :lol:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I finished building it. I have a bit of touch up to do and it still needs to be painted. First I need to build the other one. Enjoy:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Elchimpster said:
Honestly...don't laugh...but you could use duct tape as the hinge, and simply paint over it.
I actually thought about that. It is a still a very real possibility. I want to see how small of an actual hinge I can get though. I want to get a small decorative hinge...only because it will be able to continue the gothic feel.

I want to have that gothic feel inside the drop pods as well. Maybe I'll put in satin or crushed velvet. It would really increase the coffin feel. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you wanted to, you could use bitz (Cities of Death work fine) on the base and door, and then drill through those to make the hinge (instead of going through the foamcore...core...which I think will tear out most ricky-tick.

Know what I mean?
Look at a common door hinge in your house, and basically do the same thing, with plasticard or bitz.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
For small hinges I use ones from wooden cigar boxes,but thats only any good if you know someone who smokes them.
Another way is plastic Lollipop sticks and Cotton Buds/Q-tips. But any plastic tube and rod would do.
The cotton buds fit perfectly inside the Lollipop stick so I just cut the lolly stick into equal bits, stick alternate bits onto the opposite parts of your model so they interlock then slide the Cotton bud through them and you have a basic hinge ready to dress up.

EDIT Thanks Elchimpster I could not remember what they were called the other side of the pond

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm....I have some old cigar boxes. Hmmm...I could also make a hinge. Duct tape would work too.

As my magnets are really strong I need to have some flexibility to how the door is hinged. I may use cloth and simply place a peice of plastic over it painted like a metal plate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It would be really cool if you found some model chain or braided wire and glued it to the inside walls by the door hatch and then made a fancy attachemtn to the door. Although there is such a thing as the machin spirit, whether or not this inhabits one time use drop pods is questionable.

So, not only would the chain / wire look cool, it's also keeping the model realistic by suggesting how the door opens / closes.

The other option I was thinking was, If they are one time use only, why would they have the door hinge at all? Why would they not place small charges at critical points and blow the door off, thus crushing any nearby enemies (fluff wise).

So, perhaps a mangled door, and a good one depending on the pod status: open or closed...

Could be fun.
*>*>*>*>*>*>**>*>*>*>*>*>**>*>*>*>*>*>*>**>*>*>*>

I'm actually designing a drop pod I can make out of plasticard. I'm designing it on a 3D modelling program, so once i actually get somewhere, I'll try and post pics.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds cool Plarz. CAD designed drop pods...sweet.

I always saw drop pods as multiple use vehicles though. I see them using void shields or ceramic tiles for atmoshpere re-entry. If the drop pod isn't destroyed in battle why wouldn't the reuse them?

I like the chain idea though. Hmmm...hinge on the bottom of the door and chains attached to the top....might work.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I was kind of hesitant at first...looked like a plain'ol box made of foamcore. But now that it has all kinds of goodies on it to spruce it up, totally looks doable. Big turnaround on that. Sorry I doubted you man.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey no problem. I have been doing this for 12 years. I have a few painting awards under my belt and I am a scenry nut. There's no way you could have known my skills till you saw my work. My friends think I'm a gaming mad scientist.

I gotta figure out what to do to the interior. Maybe a Sentinel centerfold? Maybe some crushed velvet to continue the coffin feel? I dunno yet.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I got the hinge problem solved. I am using a peice of vinyl backed faux suede. It will provide a good strong peoce of material that will flex and also stick to the hot glue well. I covered it up with some plastic-card.

I also solved my Drop Pod interior problem. I found a sheet of black glue-backed felt. It's teh stuff you buy to cut out soft pads for things like lamps and chess boards. I cut a large section out and covered teh walls of the drop pod with it.

I started my second SDrop pod and am taking pictures as I build it for my Drop Pod article. Stay tuned. :)

·
Links Manager
1,007 Posts
That drop pod is fantastic, I really
like how the doors turned out. And
the rim just undr the roof, just fantastic.

Can't wait to see it painted!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts