Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about just glueing the doors on the drop pods shut because I am putting some custom doors on the outside of them and they look kool..plus the inside is a pain to paint. I was just wondering how that would work for LOS. For example would you pretend the doors were actually open so you could still shoot things on the other side (say a dreadnought drops and infantry is directly on the other side with no LOS) could I still shoot?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
So I was thinking about just glueing the doors on the drop pods shut because I am putting some custom doors on the outside of them and they look kool..plus the inside is a pain to paint. I was just wondering how that would work for LOS. For example would you pretend the doors were actually open so you could still shoot things on the other side (say a dreadnought drops and infantry is directly on the other side with no LOS) could I still shoot?
Hardcore WYSIWYG, you can't shoot, but I don't think anyone is that anal. I would maybe put a mark on the doors (maybe one of the decals or something) that correlates to where your gun would be mounted, measure the distance from the gun to the door, measure from the door, and subtract the measured distance from the range. So, if the gun is 18" and the distance from the gun to the door is 1", from the hull you have a 17" range.

For like 99.9999999%, that should be fine.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Actually, page 58-Vehicle Weapons and Line of Sight

On some models, it will be actually impossible to literally move the gun and point it towards the target, because of the way the model is assembled or because the gun has been glued in place.

If you assemble it in such a way that you can't aim the gun, the gun is still assumed to be useable.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as far as shooting that is ok and do you always assume you can see all models on the other side but they just get a cover save?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
So as far as shooting that is ok and do you always assume you can see all models on the other side but they just get a cover save?
No, I wouldn't say. The rules that would apply here are in cover saves. Check page 22 - Exceptions: Own unit. It uses a multi model unit as its example, but it should apply. Your own unit does not give a cover save and a droppod is a unit of one. So, it cannot give others cover for shooting through itself. That's how I would read it anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
I beleive Fuzzy and Loki are talking about two different things. Fuzzy is asking about tracing LOS through the Pod to other units providing cover. Loki is talking about a closed door and the pods own weapons.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i my self have glued the door shut as i'm really a lazy painter and don't want to have to paint the inside(Painting tanks is boring enought without having to paint the inside too) and i jsut say that the shoots are coming from the center of it and for LOS there are no doors and you can always see tohguth it.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Totally cool, I misread you at first and thought you thought friendly models couldn't provide cover to friendlies...LOL Thank God for editing. Of course I've gone and blabbed now so it's moot....

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Back to this though, this will get iffy. The doors are supposed to open, so you should have some line of sight. However, with the doors on, how much is hard to judge. I think there are parts of the hull that, with the doors off, will block line of sight and if I remember, the inside of the droppod is not completely open, is it?

Some obvious things like tanks and monstrous creatures, I would say yes, but you might run into issues with smaller creatures. Before you glue on those doors, I would do some comparisons about when and where you can get line of sight and just record it. You may always have it. I don't know, but it you go in after having done this and explain it to your opponent, it probably won't be an issue. I just wouldn't go in assuming. It is definitely something to clear up before the game starts.

Never done a tournament, so I have no idea how anal they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts