Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a few more drop pod questions for you:p

1) when disembarking from a drop pod it's the same as a normal vehical but where is the 2" measured from?

say i have a drop pod and the doors are down that makes a massive area covered by the pod, does the unit deploy within 2" of the top of the doors that are now on the floor and streched out quite far or within 2" of the actual circular base ignoring the doors?

2) also would the doors restrict movement for the enemy or friendly troops since other models are considered impassable would they have to run round the doors on the floor? or count it as difficult terrain?

3) shooting through other units gives a cover save to units behind if a unit is shooting over the doors would it give a cover save since the doors are part of the vehical?

4) finally in the same reasoning if they shoot through the now open drop pod do units get a cover save?

p.s sorry for all my recent drop pod questions but i am thinking of using them and like to know the rules for units i use

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
a few more drop pod questions for you:p

1) when disembarking from a drop pod it's the same as a normal vehical but where is the 2" measured from?

From the hull of the pod. The central spines of the pods are what we use at our club.

say i have a drop pod and the doors are down that makes a massive area covered by the pod, does the unit deploy within 2" of the top of the doors that are now on the floor and streched out quite far or within 2" of the actual circular base ignoring the doors?

We deploy on top of the doors.

2) also would the doors restrict movement for the enemy or friendly troops since other models are considered impassable would they have to run round the doors on the floor? or count it as difficult terrain?

We have considered it difficult terrain for units other than the podded unit.

3) shooting through other units gives a cover save to units behind if a unit is shooting over the doors would it give a cover save since the doors are part of the vehical?

I would say no, if you are firing over the doors themselves and not any other unit, then no cover.

4) finally in the same reasoning if they shoot through the now open drop pod do units get a cover save?

Through the center of the pod, yes.

p.s sorry for all my recent drop pod questions but i am thinking of using them and like to know the rules for units i use
I am not 100% on them as I do not use them but this is all based off of observations at the club I play at.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
1) 2" measured from the hull, not the doors.

2) I have never played them restricting movement, I treat them as if they are open ground.

3) No, only the actuall hull of the drop-pod can grant a cover save as the doors are ignorable in game terms.

4) I suppose so, although I think you're not supposed to be able to fire through it.

Having said all the above, it's sooo much easier if you don't bother with the doors at all and leave them up.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
You disembark from the Hull not the doors, there's a diagram in the book about extraneous things on the model.

The doors however are part of the model and thus Impassable terrain, you have to disembark in coherency so basically you're fucked.

That's how it's written but most everyone ignores the doors or removes them when the pod has landed.

Aramoro

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
You disembark from the Hull not the doors, there's a diagram in the book about extraneous things on the model.

The doors however are part of the model and thus Impassable terrain, you have to disembark in coherency so basically you're fucked.

That's how it's written but most everyone ignores the doors or removes them when the pod has landed.

Aramoro
Alright, I'll just Tank Shock my Rhino with the side doors down.

The doors aren't a part of the model for any purposes, they are purely aesthetic.
-snip- Actually, I'm not sure how I'd treat them, I don't know how big they are. Just agree with your opponent.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Says who?

The Doors are part of the model so they are part of the model. You only use the Hull of a model ignoring these bits for the purpose of measuring distance.

Aramoro

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Says who?

The Doors are part of the model so they are part of the model. You only use the Hull of a model ignoring these bits for the purpose of measuring distance.

Aramoro
Says common bloody sense, that gives it a HUGE footprint, with no reason for it.
As I said, how about I just Tank Shock with my side doors down? Doubling my bloody width.

Extra bits like that aren't used for model footprint, it's just how it is.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Says common bloody sense, that gives it a HUGE footprint, with no reason for it.
As I said, how about I just Tank Shock with my side doors down? Doubling my bloody width.

Extra bits like that aren't used for model footprint, it's just how it is.
Show me where it says that. RAW != common sense. Someone asked for a formal answer and that is it.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You are spot on. I would love a formal answer if one exists.

Measure from the base, ok got it.

Doors: Do they count for anything? I have had an issue where I have had troops on and around the doors and they provide no cover (just there for looks). He got pissy when I went to fold the DP hatches up and place the guys on the ground. Then the guy wanted to say that he could see the guys on the DP ramp over his rhino.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
they are part of the model but not counted as the hull. I would say they count for the 1" from an enemy unit, they count as an intervening model for cover and they can't be stepped on as you can't be over models. This makes them great to mess up movement lanes but they are harder to drop as you need a larger area to take the full size of them(9") so you'd need about 11" to deploy them alright. Also just past the support strut thingies on the outside the doors are just under 2" so it is possible to deploy within coherency out of them.

About the side doors down to increase your range. In a competitive environment that would be modelling for advantage which can even go to a point penalty(not just comp score but overall penalty, like being wrong in a list) with the drop pod they are modeled on by GW so they are not modeled to advantage.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
You are spot on. I would love a formal answer if one exists.

Measure from the base, ok got it.

Doors: Do they count for anything? I have had an issue where I have had troops on and around the doors and they provide no cover (just there for looks). He got pissy when I went to fold the DP hatches up and place the guys on the ground. Then the guy wanted to say that he could see the guys on the DP ramp over his rhino.
Formal answer, the best I can get without taking ages and not going to bed for an hour is as follows.

Page 56 under VEHICLES & MEASURING DISTANCES.

Instead, for distances involving a vehicle, measure to or from their hull (ignore gun barrels, dozer blades, antennas, banners and other decorative elements).
Key parts being HULL and everything in the brackets.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hull

Definition 2, the body or frame of a vehicle.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/frame
Definition 1 "Of a constructed object such as a building, to put together the structural elements."
Structural refers to something which is a key part of a structure, it supports the building; doors are not structural, they are not vital for the vehicle to not fall in on itself.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/body
Definition 2-2 "The largest or most important part of anything, as distinct from its appendages or accessories."
It's pretty obvious what that means, the central part of the vehicle.

So, unless there is something somewhere else in the book which suggests otherwise, you completely ignore the doors for anything involving the vehicle, and distances.
So, you can move within 1" of an enemy Drop Pod's doors, just not the hull.
This is RAW, as I said unless I've missed something.

By that definition, RAW, the doors DO apply for LOS, but since there's no rule for it, count as clear terrain for movement purposes.

Obviously if a person has (for some stupid reason) glued the doors on, then you just ignore them and approximate whether or not you can see a model through the body of the Drop Pod (which would usually have to be fairly tall, since there's that big console in the middle).

There's your formal answer :)
Fucking bed time! 12:49AM!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I gotta agree, doors are purely aesthetic.

Otherwise I'd be a fool to do anything but glue the doors up on my pods to avoid limiting my movement around the model once it's landed. Since it's perfectly acceptable to glue doors shut on models then why would I do anything else, which is asking for all the hassle?

And has been said before, if the doors on the pod count, then so do doors on a Rhino or Land Raider so why not leave 'em open when tank shocking?

Yeah better to just ignore them.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
You can indeed move within 1" of the doors etc as they are not the Hull of the vehicle, nor can you assault them.

But at the same time you cannot stand on them or move over them unless you're a skimmer as it's a model and thus impassable terrain.

Aramoro

·
Registered
252 Posts
I guess ultimately it's the sort of thing you'd have to ask a ref if you're using a pod at a tournament.

It can be argued both ways effectively, but the reason I'm on the side of ignoring them is this: Ignoring the doors prevents someone from assembling the model in such a way as to confer an advantage.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
@Aramoro: I've found "common sense" to be incredibly lacking in many people.
So much so that it is better to refer to it as "uncommon" sense or even "incrediblybloodyrare sense".

I don't have any opponents with pods where the doors flip down. Most of them just remove the doors - they are magnetised and removable.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
So, unless there is something somewhere else in the book which suggests otherwise, you completely ignore the doors for anything involving the vehicle, and distances.
So, you can move within 1" of an enemy Drop Pod's doors, just not the hull.
This is RAW, as I said unless I've missed something.

Obviously if a person has (for some stupid reason) glued the doors on, then you just ignore them and approximate whether or not you can see a model through the body of the Drop Pod (which would usually have to be fairly tall, since there's that big console in the middle).
That is the most reasonable answer that stays within the letter of the rules for vehicles. This is how I have played against drop pods, and it works perfectly fine. The game moves smoothly and the drop pod doesn't affect the board any more than it should.

As an example, I did play in a game were we counted the doors as difficult terrain and could affect LOS and such. But it was instantly ruled "stupid" because I made my opponent make a difficult terrain test to disembark from his pods. He gave me a funny look, I shrugged my shoulders and we instantly and agreeably went to the doors having no affect on game mechanics or play.

All rules for or against the drop pod need to be measured from the hull while ignoring the doors all together for the drop pod to both be an effective transport, immobilized vehicle and an eventual a piece of scenery when it gets its weapon shot off.

Simple is better in this case.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.