Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A vanilla space marine drop pod has 12 spaces in it for troops, so up to a 10 man squad, plus 2 independent characters, as I read it the independat characters, have to be attached to the squad to be able to ride with them, so that means that on the turn they arrive via drop pod they must stay attached to that unit, until the next turn. If the squad combat squads, the ic must decide which one to attach to. as the arrival counts as their movement, and seeing as they can only break on movement. Thats right, right? or else that means I can have 4 units (2 from combat squad, 2 from ic) arriving in one go. Presenting the enemy 5 things to shoot at not 3 (Pod included)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
yep target total is 3, the pod and two teams. Now when you drop in you have to disembark into the squads and move the combat squads apart to show sepreation. You can have an IC in each squad or both in one squad.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@deathklokk
So, disembarkation is thier movement, not the deep strike? so they can break from the unit, after the arrive? So 4 units could get out the drop pod (Vulkan, lib, 1 sternguard combat squaded to 2 units of 5) as long as you can get the units 2" away from each other?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I keep seeing people talking about the IC's not being part of the squad after disembarking from a drop pod.

It is relevant that I add this to your conversation.

Warhammer 40k Rule Book FAQ; Last Page:
Q. If an independent Character is joined to a
unit that is outflanking, when can he leave the
unit?
A. If an independent character is arriving from
reserve together with a unit, whether it is
outflanking or not, he cannot leave the unit
during the turn it arrives. He can, of course, leave
it as normal from the following turn.
I do believe this applies here.

I will also take this moment to say to DeathKlokk:"Gotcha!"

·
Registered
468 Posts
Drop pods aren't noted for Outflanking.

Rulebook said:
The unit and the independent character may...disembark as a single unit. They can also disembark seperately by...disembarking at the same time using different access points (but they must end their move more than 2" away from each other).
Drop pod makes it's Deep Strike, unit disembarks. Provided the independent characters can get themselves more than 2" away from each other and both combat squads (while staying within 2" of the drop pod), they can seperate.

Both characters will promptly be shot in the face, but it will be perfectly legal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey FB... you didn't read the FAQ quote in whole. I can tell because you would have seen the
it is outflanking or not
and realized that it does not matter how any unit arrives from reserves, whether it is outflanking, or deepstrike, or long table edge, or disembarking from a deepstriking vehicles, or whatever, the faq rule applies.

The rule that applies here is this:
Was your unit in reserve? Yes.
Was there a IC in it? Yes.
The IC must arrive and stay with the unit no matter what way it arrived from reserves.

Again, this rule doesn't care how the unit arrives from reserves. Only that it does.

·
Registered
468 Posts
A. If an independent character is arriving from reserve together with a unit, whether it is outflanking or not, he cannot leave the unit during the turn it arrives. He can, of course, leave it as normal from the following turn.
Is the independent character arriving from reserve with a unit? No. The drop pod arrives from reserve. The dudes inside it then disembark as usual.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Is the independent character arriving from reserve with a unit? No. The drop pod arrives from reserve. The dudes inside it then disembark as usual.
Actually, yes it is. pg 94 brb says if an independent character is attached to a unit in a transport then they are rolled for, and arrive, together.

Also according to the DH FAQ units deploying from a drop pod may be targetted by mystics (thus implying they are counted as deep striking, and deep striking is coming on from reserves)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Actually, yes it is. pg 94 brb says if an independent character is attached to a unit in a transport then they are rolled for, and arrive, together.
That's in the Preparing Reserves section, and in context-
"Similarly, the player must specify if any transport vehicle in reserve is carrying any infantry units and/or independent characters in reserve. If they do, the unit and the transport will be rolled for together and will arrive together."

Also according to the DH FAQ units deploying from a drop pod may be targetted by mystics (thus implying they are counted as deep striking, and deep striking is coming on from reserves)
Context again-
"Q. Do Inquisitorial Mystics allow “free shots” at units arriving by Drop Pod?
A. Yes. The shooting is resolved after the Drop Pod lands and the passengers have disembarked."

Drop pod lands.
Passengers disembark.
Then Mystics make their shot.

Implying that the drop pod enters play from reserve, and then the passengers disembark from a transport as usual.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't want to insult you Forkbanger by picking apart your quotes and your assumptions. Your entitled to them just as I am.

I'm going to let some of the others who have reputations for knowing the rules weigh in on this.

I'll let the majority opinion sway the argument.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Drop Pod Codex entry said:
Once the drop pod has landed, the hatches are blown and all passengers must immediately disembark as normal.
Disembarking rules have already been quoted, but once more, with feeling-
Rulebook said:
The unit and the independent character may...disembark as a single unit. They can also disembark seperately by...disembarking at the same time using different access points (but they must end their move more than 2" away from each other).

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
I keep seeing people talking about the IC's not being part of the squad after disembarking from a drop pod.

It is relevant that I add this to your conversation.

Warhammer 40k Rule Book FAQ; Last Page:

I will also take this moment to say to DeathKlokk:"Gotcha!"
Huh, nice catch!:victory:

I would like to point out that that answer reeks of made up rules. It's not clarifying any vague rule or answering a question, it is adding rules (and going against what is already written) to a situation because they do not like the implications of the result otherwise.

It reads like the INAT FAQ really and seems like it should be errata ed instead.

Oh well, that's ONE! lol Go ahead, do your little victory dance, Harr... I know you've been practicing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts