Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am looking at drop pods for a possible way to deploy units. I have a few questions. I know the guidance system prevents it from landing on inpassable terrain, friendly and enemy models. What about scattering off the board?

If it will not land on an enemy model but an inch away min; can I just target it to land on say an enemy landraider and oops I hit so it lands 1" away?

When you disembark from a drop pod is it 2" from the pod base or do the doors count? I ask because ppl talk about Ironclads scatter to far to get melta abilities. Well my pod doors are like 6" long plus, 2" deployment, plus 6" melta = 14", max scatter is 12".

There are a lot of ideas. Everyone knows someone that always fields that 1000 point hq. So if you have a 5 pod army, 3 drop first turn. Even if they drop empty, they drop first turn. Box in that LR so he has no choice but to waste time shoting/assaulting pods. Even if he does the first turn thats a turn that he has lost. Now he has to reload into the transport and move on turn 2 with no dismount. Say he only wrecks one, then he has to find another way because he cannot target a wrecked vehicle. Or if you are lucky turn 2 you get another pod or two and you drop them right next to or where the ones were that he just destroyed. It will no always work but in my mind any turn his OP HQ is stuck on the back ranks is a good turn.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
436 Posts
You cannot target to land on a enemy model or impassable terrain. I can give you the page number in the rule book if you request.

Doors do not count. I believe that was FAQd.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
You CAN target to land on an enemy model or impassible (otherwise Mawlocks would be kinda dumb) but if you do not scatter, the Pod will mishap since it cannot reduce it's scatter to not land on it.

A Pod will also mishap if it scatters off-board.

The doors do not count as the "hull" of the model.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Daethlokk has is right. Interia Guidance Systems 'reduce scatter' to prevent you mishapping, if you Aim for a Land Raider and hit it, bad luck you mishap, if you aim 2" behind the Land Raider and Scatter onto it you will reduce the distance moved until you're clear then land.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info. You always read things one way and it helps to get another point of view. I have never used pods before. I'm just evil enough to use a 30 point DP to shoot a 250 point LR. Ooops! did I forget to turn on the guidance system?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
playing Crimson Spartan (there whole fluff is that they love Thunderhawks and Drop pods) i know a fair bit.

The key word in there deployment is that "reduce the scatter" Can you reduce a modal to within 1" if there is 0"? No you can't basic math. Also ANYTHING that is over the board is considered dead. It is not considered impassible terrain otherwise modals couldn't leave the board should they retreat. so Pods can always drop down unless one of the 3 things happen.
1 - You chose to deploy ontop of a unit (Unless you scatter free)
2 - You chose to deploy within 1" of a unit (Unless you scatter free)
3 - More than 50% of the pod lands of the board. most would say that this is it's main body and does not count it's doors.

As for deployment :punish:. Stop abusing rules. All modals must deploy within 2" of the transport. Since the place where it is disembarking from is the main body and not the doors you can only gain a max of 2-4" (depending on the size of the modal). This is another reason i have glued my door shut. Just remember that since it is open topped you can be within 2" of anywhere of the main body.

-Dammit, Jaws, I'm a Deathklokk, not an English Teacher! (in best Dr. Mcoy accent) :p

edited for clarity, DK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts