Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a tournemant over the weekend and noticed that the guys using drop pod armies were just getting slaughtered. So it made me are drop pod armies viable anymore? Do you use drop pods and if so what do you think of them?

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
This has been up in a few of the tactia and general boards I think. I personally stay right away from pods if I wanna win the game. I might take one but a bunch just doesn't do it. Your basically a one trick poney that has no mobility after turn one. And you can still get boned by the 4+ roll to get reenforcements.

You can't get back in and rive away so unless you land on the objective you want... your a foot sloggen all over the place. And hey pop easy so you arn't getting a "fire base effect" say nothing of the fact that they are not good fire bases.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I don't know anyone that uses drop pods. Pretty much your better off paying the extra and taking a rhino or similar since your getting the manouverability on the battle feild, and a mobile peice of cover.

Plus as pointed out... a drop pod can stuff you with its reinforcements roll. Anything else you've got it from the start.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i played a drop pod force...it lose on kill points and only becuase he destoryed them otherwise it would have been a draw. They arn't really worth it....atleast not in large numbers, a single one with dread with MM can do some damage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
In the new C:SM pods come in during turn 1 at the end of deployment, do they not?

Not that it matters to me, my BTs are still bound by the reserves rule for pods but I've found them to be great IF they have a specific purpose.

Generally my opponents see I'm playing Templars and know I have AACNMTO so they do their very best to keep their distance and try to kill my units at range. This is where pods come in.

I usually run 1 pod with a dread and 1 with a unit of troops for holding objectives or getting in behind vehicles and putting on the hurt with meltas. Of course, I also use assault units and termies all with deep strike for added fun, but nothing beats the relative safety of pods that aren't going to be destroyed by hitting terrain or units.

Nothing freaks an opponent out more than suddenly having your units amongst them as the battle lines evaporate.

It's actually advantageous if the pods don't come in right away because the longer they take the more spread out the enemy tends to be, giving you more options. Of course, they're much less useful toward the end of the game so your best use of them will be in getting them in on turn 3 or 4.

So yes, they're useful if you have a plan for them with specific objectives and/or targets. You also have to run them in tandem with other strategies. Pods alone won't win the game.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Simple answer? No.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Complex answer? Yes.

It depends what type of unit you're dropping in. Drop pods are great for dropping in certain elite units (more on this in a second), but aren't the best choice for an assault based squad, or a unit of tactical marines.

The problem assault based units and tactical marines have is they land, get out, shoot, and then have to sit there for a turn. Assault based units lose out on a turn of assaulting, and become a high priority target. Tactical marines have to sit clustered together, and can easily be wiped out by low AP template attacks, or an assault focused enemy (ironically, since their goal is to reach close combat as quickly as possible, you did most of their work for them). You could mitigate this by breaking into combat teams, but only by so much, and in kill points games you wouldn't want to do this at all.

On the other hand, sternguard, dreadnoughts, and wolf guard work great with drop pods. The sternguard can split into combat teams when they land, and attack two different targets with either heavy flamers or meltas. Dreadnoughts equipped with multimeltas and heavy flamers are ideal for getting close to the enemy lines, especially if you need to take heat off the rest of your force. Wolf Guard can be given terminator armor, and a variety of interesting weapons, making them likely to survive the next shooting phase, and do a ton of damage to the enemy.

I think the main problem with 'drop pod armies' is they usually involve putting tactical squads in drop pods, which doesn't work so well. If you want to use a lot of drop pods, I'd either save them for sternguard and dreads, or use Space Wolves and give them to wolf guard, and grey hunters with wolf guard terminators (and possibly HQs) tagging along.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd love it if chaos had drop pods so I could drop a dread in the middle of the enemy and just laugh as it goes utterly bezerk and slaughters every unit with 3 feet:p

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I think the main problem with 'drop pod armies' is they usually involve putting tactical squads in drop pods, which doesn't work so well. If you want to use a lot of drop pods, I'd either save them for sternguard and dreads, or use Space Wolves and give them to wolf guard, and grey hunters with wolf guard terminators (and possibly HQs) tagging along.
^ This. Tactical Marines simply aren't too good in Drop Pods as their mobility disappears the turn that the Pod comes into play. Also, Tactical Marines tend to be expensive and really aren't great at short-ranged firefights since they'll usually be relying upon one or two special weapons to do all the damage (a special weapon on one model and a combi-weapon on the Sergeant being the most common). One of the Tactical Squad's greatest strengths is it's "free" heavy weapon which becomes a lot less useful when you're landing right in your opponent's face and are unable to fire it on the turn you disembark. So to ram the point home:

If you want to use a lot of drop pods, I'd either save them for sternguard and dreads, or use Space Wolves and give them to wolf guard, and grey hunters with wolf guard terminators (and possibly HQs) tagging along.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
they do have a drop pod and there called dreadclaw
Not for "standard" games unfortunately.

What's funny is, the only reason I would ever contemplate building a loyalist marine army is because of the drop pod. I love the way the model looks. It just screams
"a marines way of doing things." It would be quite fun to put everything in drop pods and hope for good luck on the deployments. Something about it seems fun and interesting to me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So can Loota's loot drop pods?

The idea seems fun but not good.This gives way to another list of "Don't Press Dat"

*airlock disengaged*

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
In the new C:SM pods come in during turn 1 at the end of deployment, do they not?
They don't.

HALF (rounded up) come in TURN ONE. The START of turn one, to be precise, the rest dribble on as reserves, and when they arrive, it is also at the start of their turn (from turn 2 onwards). At the very least, you will have half on the board turn one, and the rest turn 5 (when all reserves come on automatically).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dread Claw Assualt Pod

I'd love it if chaos had drop pods so I could drop a dread in the middle of the enemy and just laugh as it goes utterly bezerk and slaughters every unit with 3 feet:p
chaos does have drop pods they are called dread claw assualt pods but i think you can only use them in apocalypse games and whats cool about them is that they leave after the turn they come in so its hard to kill them.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I use a single drop pod with a ironclad in. As it always arrives on turn one, it does mean I can deploy him dependant on the situation. If he is armed with 2 heavy flamers he is ideal against large units of troops, but against MC or some special characaters (Mephiston for instance) he doesn't do so well, so I drop the pod in my own deployment zone if possible.

·
Registered
390 Posts
chaos does have drop pods they are called dread claw assualt pods but i think you can only use them in apocalypse games and whats cool about them is that they leave after the turn they come in so its hard to kill them.
I know about them... they're in imperial armour so you can use them in normal games but only if your opponants agree. Also they are flyers so can transport units all over the place and leave.:victory:

·
Registered
252 Posts
They don't.

HALF (rounded up) come in TURN ONE. The START of turn one, to be precise, the rest dribble on as reserves, and when they arrive, it is also at the start of their turn (from turn 2 onwards). At the very least, you will have half on the board turn one, and the rest turn 5 (when all reserves come on automatically).
Thanks for clarifying that. Do Space Wolf pods work the same way? 'cause if so I think I got shenanigan-ed at a tournament...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts