Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents, welcome to my humble showcase of 40k figures of all kind. I've started painting one and a half year ago, and I've yet to play a single game, but I'm certainly planning to.

So without further ado, here are some space wolves and the beginning of an inquisitorial retinue.

Two wolfguards - in my WIP space wolf army all the figures will be without helmets, thus giving them even more personality :)

Two grey hunters

Inquisitor Frankenstein with Demonhost (A Helldorado Figure with a Heresy Miniatures head + a Malifaux Enslaved Nephilim)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
G'day, welcome to the forum! Your painting is very good, and the miniatures you've put up are excellent. I really look forward to seeing some more!

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nice use of some of the Chaos Parts on those SW Termies and good GS. I've considered using that Helldorado mini as an =I= as well but the shoulder pads put me off a bit, how easy do you think they would be to remove?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice use of some of the Chaos Parts on those SW Termies and good GS. I've considered using that Helldorado mini as an =I= as well but the shoulder pads put me off a bit, how easy do you think they would be to remove?
It would be difficult, but not too difficult. In the blister, the arms are seperate from the torse, so you have place to maneuver :) On the other hand the figure is made of very sturdy metal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome and good work on your wolfies. Is this all you have at the moment or are you in the process of building it up?
Yeah, I'm still at the beginning. Now that you mention it... :)

Here is a small update featuring the enemy (I'm doing a Space Wolves army, an Inquisitorial retinue and a Plague Marine army simultaneously. The only armies I have 100% finished are the Dark Angels and Crimson Slaughter forces from the DV boxset, which will act as allies to the bigger Space Wolf and Plague Marine armies, respectively.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Very impressive work on the Plauge Marines. Best ones i have seen to be Honest. Have a cookie.
Thanks man, high praise indeed! :) And a deliciuos cookie.

I think plague marines are usually painted in a way too sterile manner, and the end product is not at all as described in the fluff. I think this is how an ideal plague marine looks like http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121002010847/warhammer40k/images/7/7b/Afflicted.jpg

So on top of the paintjob I used the old UHU trick + Tamiya clear yellow (the best pus! ) + the new nurgle rot and other stuff. On another forum (NOT on DAkka and NOT on B&C) I was told "to learn to thin my paints" becuase the way my plague marines look. The paints I used were very much thinned of course, but there were a lot of additional techniques used to make them to look like this, which could make the wrong impression.

I think they look friggin awesome :) The photos are a bit too bright, in real life the figures are a little darker.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple of new guys, gooey and not gooey :)

First, a Nurgle Chaos Lord, a marine, a Herald of Nurgle proxy and plague zombies

and another inquisitor, Inquisitor Zadori of Ordo Xenos

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great work! I find it really impressive, especially considering you have only been painting for a year and a half! I love your Nurgly guys. They are very characterful and you definitely have the gooey look nailed.

By the way, what model is the Herald proxy based on? Looks like it would make a great Plague Ogryn for a renegade guard/cultist army.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree with revolantis; those Plague marines of various kinds sure look disgusting. Not sure though what I should say about that last Inquisitor - I partially think as Swedemarine, that it would fit better in whfb, but at the same time the Inq. (maybe not Ordo malleus) fit pretty well with a tone of baroque or similar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great work! I find it really impressive, especially considering you have only been painting for a year and a half! I love your Nurgly guys. They are very characterful and you definitely have the gooey look nailed.

By the way, what model is the Herald proxy based on? Looks like it would make a great Plague Ogryn for a renegade guard/cultist army.

Thanks :) and It's a Malifaux figure called Killjoy. As for him being a Herald of Nurgle... I'm not sure that is his final rank in the army, mainly because even tho I paint passionately, I STILL DON'T KNOW HOT TO PLAY, so I don't even really know what the hell a Herald of Nurgle does :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with revolantis; those Plague marines of various kinds sure look disgusting. Not sure though what I should say about that last Inquisitor - I partially think as Swedemarine, that it would fit better in whfb, but at the same time the Inq. (maybe not Ordo malleus) fit pretty well with a tone of baroque or similar.
I agree that the figure is not 100% 40k (to say the least), maybe I should have done some converting on him - on the other hand he sort-of fits in if maybe one approaches the game with a Johnblanche-y, gothic-baroque-renessaince-whatever attitude :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks :) and It's a Malifaux figure called Killjoy. As for him being a Herald of Nurgle... I'm not sure that is his final rank in the army, mainly because even tho I paint passionately, I STILL DON'T KNOW HOT TO PLAY, so I don't even really know what the hell a Herald of Nurgle does :D
Heh I know what you mean, I don't get to play as often as I'd like and I still haven't even once used my chaos daemons. From what I understand by reading the codex the herald can be very good at just boosting the abilities of your Plaguebearers. For instance if he is upgraded accordingly he can grant Feel no Pain to his entire unit! Very useful for holding objectives. I'm no tactical expert though so can't really offer any authority on recommending the ideal use for the model! The important thing is he looks fantastic :)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Still enjoying what you're sharing Driller, out of interest what is your painting background? You're remarkably good for someone just starting out a year or two ago!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still enjoying what you're sharing Driller, out of interest what is your painting background? You're remarkably good for someone just starting out a year or two ago!
I have nothing in my background relating directly to painting, to be honest... I DID spent my childhood drawing, wanting to be a graphic artist, but I have become a professional writer instead :) But I haven't painted anything back then. No, I'm just OCD enough to repaint the figures I'm not satisfied with like 5 times - this is what happened with the wolf guard, for example. And I only show you guys what I'm satisfied with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

In the last week or so I've been busy putting together ca. 3 dozen figures, which, I'm happy to say, are ready to be painted (wolves and nurgle both.)

Meanwhile I only took 1 photo, of the already photographed 2 finished wolf guards, because I wasn't satisfied with the angle of the previous pic. This one features their lumbering hulk-nature better :) Click on the bar above the image for better resolution!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts