Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Im very new to warhammer 40k but so far im loving it. My space marine army is getting slowly tuned in and ive actually won a couple low point matches against my friends. Im using just the regular space marine codex and im wondering what the best/ most efficent dreadnought and loadout would be for my army.

Im rocking a shooty army at the moment. Meltas, plasma, heavy bolters, lascannons and such.

So which should it be and equipped with what?

Reg Dreadnought?
Ironclad?
Venerable?

Thanks for the help guys!
Cold86

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
depends

Disposable Dread? = normal Dread

Dread that is going to stick around and shoot things to death? = Ven dread

Dread that is going to stick around and bitchslap things to death? = Clad Dread

·
Registered
594 Posts
One of my favorite tactics is a basic Dread with a Drop Pod. Deep Strike that sucker for a free Multi-Melta shot at rear armour. Cheap and effective tank killing unit that could do some serious damage if they don't kill it fast.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
as those above me said.

normal Dread is usually a Multi Melta, Heavy flamer Drop pod style model get in the rear of the enemy tanks or nice setup for heavy flamer and do some damage. Disposable after inital attack most times.

Ven dreads make good long range Artillery walkers. this usually means double auto cannon / auto cannon las cannon, etc setup. Designed to shoot from a distance, the Venerable helps it live so it can continue to onslaught from a distance.

Iron Clad make excellent close combat units.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It certainly depends. I usually field my Dreads with TLLC and ML, for armour hate. Then again I play GKs and this kind of dreads are the ones that complement my army.

However, I can say this: I think the best configuration for CC Dreads is Assault Cannon + DCCW. For Fire Support Dreads should be the TLLC+Missile Launcher.
You want some bad-ass CC Dread, field an Iron Clad. As for Venerable Dreads, I cannot say much since I've never even consider to use one.

Hope that helps.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Dread that is going to stick around and bitchslap things to death? = Clad Dread
I think you mean dread thats never going to see close combat = clad dread

just stick with a bog standard dread with quad autocannon, or lascannons and missile launcher, there basically moving gun platforms and no longer that great in close combat since there weak armour rarely gets them close enough.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i second stella's outlook. the best way to make up their points is running your dread(s) with two twinlinked autocannons (arms puchased at forgeworld's website, or other) or twinlinked lascannon and missile launcher combo (arms bought on ebay, or other). these outfits would compliment your shooty army, and being new, it's a bit easier to start out shooting and then move into more difficult strategies.

happy gaming bro and good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! Ive been doing some more research and the Ven Dread with 2x twin linked autocannons i think really suits myself and army. Ive got plenty anti armor in my army.

as for the left arm autocannon i think im gonna convert the aegis defence quad autocannon into my dreds armament.

Something like this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts