Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what happens to a marines gene seed when there in placed within a dreadnought....

do they keep it and its removed when they finally die?

or

is it removed before entombment?

or is it just one of the great unknowns?

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
Well, a Space Marine entombed within a Dreadnought is stuck there until the tomb containing the Space Marine is destroyed, so it's likely that the gene-seed is removed before they are interred. Since it takes destroying the tomb containing the Space Marine to destroy a Dreadnought, it might not be possible to extract the gene-seed after that.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
From Lexianum:
Apothecaries remove Progenoids after they have matured or if a Marine has died in combat.

So i believe that the glands can be removed if they are mature and there is time to do so. But, due to the very fact that a wanna be Dreadnought is usually a mangled body and an hasty removal would kill the Marine, I also think that is not usual for the Dreadnough-marire to have his gland removed. That is of course, my opinion, unconfirmed by any book or official writing.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
One gland is typically removed immediately after it matures. This ensures that their is always (or almost always) the ability to replace loses. The second gland is typically removed after death because it is in a difficult to reach area. It is likely that the injuries the marine sustained would be drastic (in order to warrant his interment) so it is also fairly likely that the gland would be too damaged to be of use. If not, I'm sure they'd take it out as the damage is likely to be superficial compared to the already sustained wound.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd assume given that the marine's got full life support inside the Dreadnaught they'd be a little daft if they didn't take out the second progenoid.

*I don't really know, but it seems reasonable to me. If Brother Clumsius steps on an anti-tank mine and is turned into pulled pork from the chest down, as an apothecary I'd consider it to be my duty to ensure he contributes to the Chapter as much as possible.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So its all a matter of if its safe to remove it? That seems the most logical thing.

I see that dreadnoughts are destroyed but does that allways mean that the sarcophagus is destroyed as well?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Well TECHNICALLY the space marine inside a dreadnought isn't dead (just barely alive IIRC) so I would say no.

But on the other hand, the chances of recovering the second gene seed from the definitely-killed-off-for-real dreadnought pilot are slim to none considering the firepower required to actually "destroy" a dread, so I would say yes.

Until they have it in writing, it's all headcanon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts