Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Know what i do about the Marines and dreadnoughts it seems to me that they basically put dead mariens in the "suit" and get it to piolet it around in much the way of a Warithlord or Wraithguard. So i was wonder what if a famous captain wanted to contuine to serve the imprium even after death and even made a custom Dreadnought with the help of various Tech Priests and the like for him to be put into when he dies. So i thoguth i would created a profile for him but i haven't made ANY 40ki profiles before tho i have made plenty of LOTR ones before. So here it goes;

Cannicus Orion - 200pts

WS BS S FA SA BA I A
6 5 6 13 12 10 5 3(3)

Wargear - 2 Dreadnought Close combat weapons with Built in Assault Cannons(Count as twin linked while you have both), Smoke Launchers, Searchlight, Extra armour

Special Rules;
"With steel i crush my enemys" - Any army that incudes Cannicus Orion may take any Walker units as Troops. However they may never claim objectives(Tho they can still contest)
Special Ammunition - All ranged attacks made by Cannicus Orion will cause rending on a 5+ instead of the normal 6.
I'm not 100% sure on the posits cost and i would like to give him another little special rule like being able to re-roll failed rolls to wound or giving him 2D6 agians tanks etc but i'm unsure. Also a clarification on his assault cannons. When he has both they work as Twin linked and also give him +1 attack(as they are built in the the arms), When he only has 1 it's just a normal assualt cannon. Would anyone prefure them to act as 2 seprate assault cannons?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm not to familiar with vehicular rulings but heres what I think.

He doesn't need any re-roll to wound. In close combat its got a Str of 10. Up to a toughness of 8 he's going to wound on a 2+ anyway. And if you add the effect in for the assault cannons it's probably going to sky rocket the points cost.
I'm not quite sure about the assault cannons.
Otherwise, I think its a decent stat line. Good job.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I like it! could you do a CSM one, somebody the fallen, or something like that!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he just seems a little too.....bear to me(once agian my poor Grammer shows). I wanted to give him another little rulles but i don't know what.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hmm... If you wanted to add another rule how about combining the assault cannons with the armor penetration ruling? It sounds like a character specific equipment to me.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
armor penetration ruling?
I can't remeber that one. and besides they all ready are Rending. Maybe make them Rending on a 5+ instead of a 6?

·
Registered
566 Posts
His attacks are rending but at a +5 sounds fair. Keep the cannons as twin linked but you don't get the extra attack if he has the rending, at least for 200 points. Other than that it's an awesome idea. +rep

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm sorry allow me to clarify what I was saying.

The AP is 4 and has a STR of 6. I was thinking that you should add what you were thinking about (hence what I meant by the ruling) to the assault cannons.
For example:
Vindicator assault cannon
Range: 24" STR:6 AP: 4 Type: Heavy 3
Special rules: Twin-linked, Armor Penetrating (roll an extra 2d6 to determine armor penetration against vehicles and walkers)

I lowered the type from 4 to 3 because as a 3, It's pretty much going to mulch almost any vehicle it hits.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i might keep it as that his Assualt Cannon(s) rend on a 5+ instead of a 6. That would make him fairly effective....atleast that is what i think.

Now the only question is how to convert him. I was thinking that Metal Furioso Dreadnought and the Metal Assault cannons in the bitz area of the GW shop. What do you think?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Honestly I have no idea, Just go with whatever looks the most intimidating.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would probbly be Chuck Norris with cyborg implants then..........or Hello Kitty

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You might be better picking up a venerable dread and sourcing another DCCW as i think the melta guns are cast in to the furiosos arms.

you get afew assult cannons on the ravenwing sprue if you prefer to work in plastic

·
Registered
257 Posts
You should also make him venerable, as to ask for a re-roll on the damage table, and maybe he ignores shaken and stunned results like demonic possession does for chaos.

As for the being able to take walkers as troop but they can't claim objectives... I would rather see it that you can take 3 Dreads under 1 elite slot option. Just like the way Lictors work for Nids. 3 under 1 elite slot yet they act indepentantly.

I like the weapon load outs you gave him, twin DCCW with Assault Cannon that rends on 5+ and twin-linked while both weapons are still operational.

If you really want to make him special, allow it that once per game he can activate boosters that provide him with fleet for 1 turn.

You have him listed at 200pts, and maybe with adding some of the suggestions I put, maybe bumb him up to 225pts. But not really more because as strong as he is, he can still be easily taken down by 1 metla.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the idea of making him Venrable really. the question is he getting over powered? He would be at over the normal points cost of most heros.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Giving him structure points like a titan would be over powered :D:D:D... but really, I think where he is is about right. Because with all the melta in 5th edition, competitive 5th edition anyways, getting him to survive all the melta fire would be a task all on its own. Plus since it wouldn't be like the BA dread that can just constantly roll more and more attacks... he is pretty limited in his roll. He could get tar-pitted against orks and even get taken down by a lucky power claw. All of the melta fire he would have to endure from SM and IG is pretty substancial, and generally, he is right around where I think he should be in terms of points. 200 is about right in my eyes because how many turns must he stay alive to make up his cost in points when an attack bike multi melta takes him down before he can really do anything.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you make a good point. I think what i wanted to do is
1 - Make him look and read to be made os awsume
2 - Change the way the games are played much like Vulkan. So taking any Walker(said walker as it would allow ANY Dreadnought to be used) to be used as troops allowing Dread heavy armys.

I'm not sure on what codex he should be in yet tho. Blood Angels? or Vanilla Marines?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would probably use the BA codex as then you can use their furious dreads and create a dread command squad :D. Make it instead of an apoathicary, in the command squad of dreads, you have a techpriest dread that follows them around and can fix weapon destroyed and immoblized results. Now THAT would be cool. But that could also be pretty over powered. With what you said about taking dreads in all formats, you could make dakka dreads with las / missle combo considered heavy choices. Ven dreads would be your elites. And only regular dreads with claw and any weapon would be your troop choices.

I have to say, your idea of a dread HQ is almost making me want to write a full Dreadnought army codex. Using the BA dex would probably be best though as if I'm not mistaken they have a lib dread. You could use the Chaplain dread from Forge world as an HQ also. Make a techpriest dread as an elite but still use the same rules with regards to servo harness and fixing things, maybe modified a bit due to no servitors. Ven dreads as your elites. Dakka dreads and or Ironclad dreads as your heavy. And then your regular basic dreads as your troop. Throw in some drop pods and they can be your fast attack dreads.

But all of that might be taking it a bit too far. lol. Ok, rant over, Back to topic.

Use the BA dex as you have a bit wider range of dread models available to gain a base for your Commander Dread.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that is what i have been thinking really. I play Crimson Spartan which is my home made army which love Drop pods as well as Dreadnoughts so having a Dread hero would make them a very walker heavy army.

I have to admit that a Chaplain Dread would be great. Maybe and Area effect re-roll instead of unit baced. Could make and army rule that gives you free drop pods or maybe makes all your walker immune to melta weapons :biggrin:
Now i'm getting carryed away.

I was swinging towards the BA's but there are 2 things stopping me from saying yes in less than a second.
1 - No Ironclads makes me somewhat sad
2 - Deaht Company dreads wouldn't work fluff wise at all.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Good Point with regards to the BA dex not working. I guess you have to use both in a sense. Take what you need from both, and if there are any point cost discrepinceys, take the average or if it is just 5 points different then just use the cost you would feel is more accurate.

Me personally, I've been trying to find a way to incorpirate a dread army with DA fluff. The DA do use lots of Dreads as they heavy in the Deathwing as well as all 2nd - 6th Company. Plus being one of the oldest chapters, and their need to hunt the fallen, I can easily see a lot of their deathwing members lending their minds to be incased in a dread.

With regards to ignoring the melta rule, I gave it some thought and sadly, I just don't think that would fit any fluff. Having Necron shielding or anything is a bit of a stretch. What you could possibly add is some kind of force field that could either provide the dread with a 4-5+ cover save always, or be like Eldar Wave Serpents and reduces the str of enemy shots against it to a maximum of 8 or something.

With a pure dread army, its hard to try to find the balance between over powered and completely weak. If you add some kind of protection from Melta's or heavy weapons, and your dreads will just never die and once you take out all of the heavy weapons, you've just instantly won. If you leave them the way the are... an IG army full of meltas could wipe all of the dreads off the board in 3 turns hindering the dread army pretty useless. Maybe my idea that all ven dreads get a 5+ cover force field always. And if they use their smoke launchers it turns to a 3+ cover for that 1 turn. And then regular dreads just get their regular 1 use smoke launcher as is. And if you go about only allowing HQ and Elite dreads with said force fields... it will still make your regular / heavy dreads easy to kill, but still provides you with some survivability from those meltas.

Thinking about all of this though still makes me cringe about melta bombs, but I guess you have to have something that can kill them... but that is the risk of playing I guess and you got to know what you are assaulting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to rain on the parade here, but a Dreadnought Army seems really hard to do balance-wise as well as fluff-wise. I say this because for the most part, the Dreadnoughts are not supposed to be all that super-common. As it is, only the most honoured and revered members of the chapters are even considered for Dreadnought status. On top of that, often chapter heroes have the tendency to go down in a flash of glory that leaves little to recover. As far as having a Dreadnought "built", I'm not even sure how much of the technology that goes into Dreadnoughts the Imperium has knowledge left of. Dreadnoughts are kinda like the Terminator armour in that they aren't something given lightly to anyone.

Gameplay-wise, Dreadnoughts as an army would be difficult to play. Your point cost would be out the roof and the mainstay of your army would be easy pickings for anything that moves faster than you. The only place I could really see using Dreadnoughts as troop choices would be an Apocalypse game where your hard-hitters are Titans. Cause let's be honest, an army of dreadnoughts would be THAT epic. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts