Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
according to my fluff, which at the moment is on my brain, says that my chapter has no veteran company, since it was wiped out and reborn as a dreadnought company! 100 dreadnought, good idea, or insane?!?

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Well, it sounds great, but according to the fluff, SM chapters have very few dreads, and most are asleep for the majority of the time. What you're speaking of is

A: An entire company was mortally wounded in action

B: Enough support to take 100 Space Marines (plus the Librarian, Chaplain, and Commander) and put them in 100 Dreadnoughts.

C: Techmarines by the cartload to maintain 100 Dreadnoughts

D: A new Veteran Company (Which would elbow over either the Assault Company or the Scout)

So, it's a great idea, but I don't think it would work. 100 is just too much. Maybe a Dreadnought Squad? Like, 5 or 10?

-Dirge

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i honestly believe chaos dreads should function normailly, and that all dreadnoughts should have squads like war walkers and sentinals. single dreads just don't make much sence.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i honestly believe chaos dreads should function normailly...
Why? There is nothing 'normal' about Chaos and it's followers.

100 Dreadnoughts, sounds cool, but unlikely.

Besides, are you really gonna buy, assemble and paint 100 Dreads?

·
Registered
52 Posts
cool idea but it kinda ruins the eliteness of dreadnaughts

although if the dreadnaught company was split up (like 10 to a company) an usally many of them were where alsleep and like 30 were active you could make it a tech heavy army

or you could use like 500 dreadnaught and 500 termies and say that all the dreadnaught and termies from like 20 chapters came together to destroy some chaos marines or somthing (not sure about this)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Do you know how much 500 Dreadnoughts would cost? As far as points and dollars are concerned, that's a hell of a lot of both.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I don't think you'd ever have to field the whole company (that being easily over 10,000 points) so modeling isn't a problem. You'd just need 6 to fill all the FOC slots.

I think it's a cool idea personally, provided that the chapter was working closely with Mars. On the battlefield the army could be dreads led by a techmarine but you'd have to take some kind of troops choice. Might be cool in apocalypse.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
muhahahaha! i love my ideads. and it was just an idea, there is no way i am going to paint and buy 100 dreads. anyway, my first dread is brother achillies, does it sound heroic?

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
There's a section in the GW SM section online about how to convert dreads. Maybe if you do get an Apoc datasheet you could use it for the Command Dread.

-Dirge

·
Registered
162 Posts
it would be cool to see in like a setup. but, if ever saw that on a table (going off on a limb here) I would just walk away and say great game:fuck:

·
Banned
801 Posts
Realistically, it's stupid.

Only the oldest chapters would have ten or more dreadnoughts, of which only one, possibly two, would ever be empty, and most of the time all are full. Newer chapters have maybe one, two at most. Having access to one hundred dreadnoughts is not possible. Hell, the Black Templars are five times the size of maximum-size chapters and are as old or older than any self-made chapter, and they wouldn't have even fifty. So. you're going to need to explain how they had one hundred dreadnoughts in the first place, a requisition which even a High Lord could not attain as anything but a short-term loan.

Next, you've got the problem of an entire veteran company being wounded to the extremely specific point where they will die, but can be put in a dreadnought. More importantly, you will have to explain why all of these veterans were considerd that important, when in fact it is rare for anyone under the equivalent of Captain to get in, becuas they're just not valuable enough if they're not. Then you've got to explain the actual mechanics of how one hundred men who were dying but didn't die were rescued, because anything that can teamwipe a veteran company of Marines could just as easily kill anything else.

If you want lots of dreadnoughts, just say that some dire threat made all eight of your chapter's dreads wake up at once, that this is the entire stock for the chapter. Still even that's pushing it, because dreadnoughts are far too valuable to use in such a manner, and there is no actual tactical sense in it.

Dawn of War gameplay is not analogous to tabletop gameplay or lore.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You could paint them differently to each other and then set up an apocalypse battle where your side is basically a load of different chapter's dreadnoughts that have been teamed up by some Techmarines. but even that's mad.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Realistically, it's stupid.

Only the oldest chapters would have ten or more dreadnoughts, of which only one, possibly two, would ever be empty, and most of the time all are full. Newer chapters have maybe one, two at most. Having access to one hundred dreadnoughts is not possible. Hell, the Black Templars are five times the size of maximum-size chapters and are as old or older than any self-made chapter, and they wouldn't have even fifty.

Wow, then my space marine army is very unfluffy because i've lost a dreadnought on the first or second turn of every game I've played with them. That means that my army has at least 5 or 6 dreadnoughts and in the backstory i'm writing for them, they are a pretty new chapter, just old enough to get dreds and a few suits of terminator armor

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hell, the Black Templars are five times the size of maximum-size chapters and are as old or older than any self-made chapter
I think your a little confused! No chapter is any bigger than any other chapter. Max of 1000 marines. Thats why the second founding happened after the Horus heresy! To break up the large formations, so as to insure that no one man had that much power ever again!

Not sure why I'm saying this, I hate fluff!

Ok having said that, the dread Co. sounds a little over the top to me. Maybe a smaller formation of say maximum 10 is a bit more beleivable!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
nah, the black templars are different...they're seperated into essentially autonomous crusades. these can be as large as a traditional chapter at times. the templars are kinda weird....to be honest, i'm not even sure why they're organized as they are. but there are definitely more than 1000 black templars....you're just not likely to ever see them all in one place, as they're broken up into crusades that are scattered across the imperium at any given time. so really, the spirit of the second founding is maintained...since no one being will be able to gather the entire organization, or indeed anything aproaching the numbers of one of the legions of old.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Great idea, but 100 dreads? Imagine the time, the money you'd have to invest to get 100 dreads.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Okay, well I stand corrected! Thanks for the clerification Loyalis42. Just goes to show you how much I hate fluff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts