Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. This is version 2 of the Dreadnought list, wondering what everyone thinks.

HQ
Astorath the Grim - 220

ELITE
Furioso Dreadnought - 170
Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod

Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod, Blood Talons

TROOP
10 Death Company - 380
2 Power Swords, Jump Packs

Death Company Dreadnought - 170

Death Company Dreadnought - 180
Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon, Blood Talons

10 Assault Marines - 235
2 Meltaguns, Power Fist

10 Assault Marines - 235
2 Meltaguns, Power Fist

5 Assault Marines - 110
1 Meltagun, Drop Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dreadnought - 150
Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta, Drop Pod

Dreadnought - 150
Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta, Drop Pod

Dreadnought - 160
Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon

TOTAL: 2500

Okay, so the general idea is that nothing is on the field for anyone to shoot. This may lead to them moving there units out, leaving them more vulnerable.

The Drop Pods will Drop Pod Assault. 5 will drop down the first turn where needed. If there is alot of infantry, The Death Company Dread will drop down, and the others will drop down near if. If there is a concentration of tants, the Melta Dread w/ Beacon will drop down near them.

Just a side note, if you feel i have to many Blood Talons or not enough Dreadnought CCW. I can change those, as they don't cost anything.

The Death company now have a Chaplain. (as many asked for in the previous list) None other the Astorath the Grim. He will help them alot, with re-rolls to hit and wound. The Assault marines are for objectives mostly, and to hit where needed.

Questions and comments anyone? I would like to finalize this list Soon, as I plan on buying the stuff soon. Sorry for any spelling mistakes.:grin:

Cheers, :victory:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would like to do a dread army at least one day in my life, haha.

I am not very experienced (this post is more a bumping msg than another thing), but I see you lacks something against fast vehicles armys (like eldar jet bikes armies). ¿Riflemens?

·
Registered
344 Posts
What happens if your opponent goes full reserve? 3/4 of your army is denied their alpha strike, if you deploy centrally with your pods your opponent will find it way to easy to avoid all those slow moving CC dreads and infantry meaning they only have to focus on the Dc and maybe the MM dreads. If you land all spread out then you will find yourself easily refused flank with a portion of you army going up against the whole of the enemies.

Drop Pod armies don't work very well but i understand the position your in with the dread theme. try to take as many shooty dreads as possible in addition to the CC ones. This way your opponent might have to come to you. it will also make it less devestating if you get refused flank.

My other concern is having only 25 scoring marines at 2500 when places like ard boyz will require 3-4 objectives for a major victory.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like your list.

What would you use to hold objectives on your own half? RAS? I would consider swapping one for a more static troop choice.

Other than that, it looks as solid as dread heavy lists get.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
My other concern is having only 25 scoring marines at 2500 when places like ard boyz will require 3-4 objectives for a major victory.
this would be my biggest concern.

i would almost rather have the RAS in rhinos for extra safety and keep one unit of Reserves for a last ditch objective grab.

you could also reduce your DC unit and drop one DC dread for more scoring units or LC upgrades.

i simply would not count on your Dreads making it close enough to punch tanks.

i know it's unlikely to happen, but if you plan for it you'll be covered if it ever does.

good hunting.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I personally think the DC would be better off in a drop pod, then you wont have to worry about their rage and what not, and you can use Astorath somewhere else (even though it may feel like a waste of his special abilities). I also would like to echo the needs for more long ranged dreads... riflemen would be preferable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
magna grapple on furioso dreds would be a good choice, you dont need talons on everything some higher str would be nice to punch out vehicles if need be..the problem with drop podding anything that assaults is it cannot assault the turn it lands so theres a good chance you'll end up having a good portion of your army standing around gettin shot to hell, or just standing there looking pretty...maybe librarian dreads would be good because they can fly??? drop some death co and astie run libbies as hq, change to riflemen dreds, and forget the death co altogether, you need more scoring units, than run some baals in the fast slot to screw up target priority, get 3 and you have 6av 13 vehicles, not to mention 6 dreds, cheers!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate everyones advice alot, but I need to mention 2 things.

1. This is meant to focus on dreadnoughts, which is why I am fitting in so many of these.

2. This wasn't built as a mega competitive list. It is mostly for fun, as the idea of 8 dreadnoughts in a army sounds fun.

Now, is it worth taking Astorath? Or would I be better with a fancy chaplain dude ( forgot the name... Starts with R...) and for objective games, my (poorly thought out) strategy is: clear the enemy from their objectives with force and hold onto some of mine? It's gotta work.

I am typeing this on my iPod, so sorry for any mistakes/random words.

C&C are welcome.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts